Restaurant serves alcoholic beverage to 2-year-old

Close

Trending on Facebook

More popular and trending stories

- A family is still in disbelief after their 2-year-daughter was served alcohol at an Asheville restaurant.

The family went to a Texas Roadhouse to celebrate Derek Gilliam’s 25th birthday. They ordered food and non-alcoholic drinks, including cranberry juice for their daughter, Gabriella.

>> UPDATE: Toddler served alcohol because of 'human error,' restaurant says

They said Gabriella drank it and it tasted funny. That’s when the parents tried it and noticed something was off.

It turns out Gabriella was served sangria.

"I had to rub her belly the whole night and she slept with us because I was scared that she might not wake up,” her mother Tiffany Gilliam told Asheville’s ABC affiliate WLOS. “That she'd choke on her throw up and not wake up. It was the most horrible feeling ever."

>> Read more trending stories

The parents immediately took her to the hospital, where doctors diagnosed her with accidental alcohol ingestion.

"She was staggering and she was kissing everything," Tiffany Gilliam said.

Family members said she is doing better now, but it was a scary couple of days leading to little sleep.

A Texas Roadhouse spokesperson said it was an honest mistake. The restaurant apologized, comped their meals and sent one of the employees to the hospital with the family.

"It was very scary. I mean me my mom, his mom, we were all in tears. I don't want that to ever happen to anybody else's child, Tiffany Gilliam said.

Related

Close

Close

Texas Roadhouse, photo courtesy of WLOS.

Download Our App!

Listen on Alexa!

Y100 Concerts

Y100 Rodeo

8 Man Jam

Mobile Apps

Everything you love about y100fm.com and more! Tap on any of the buttons below to download our app.

AMAZON ALEXA

Enable our Skill today to listen live at home on your Alexa Devices!