Puppy revived with Narcan after eating discarded opioid

Close

WATCH: Puppy Given Narcan After Eating Discarded Opioid

- A 4-month-old Andover, Massachusetts, puppy passed out last week after eating a discarded opioid.

>> Watch the news report here

Pete Thibault said he was walking his dog recently when she started chewing on something. Moments later, the dog collapsed. 

>> What is Narcan? 12 things to know about the drug

“We got about as far as that tree,” Thibault told WFXT, pointing to a tree across the street from his home. “There was an empty pack of cigarettes in it … she picked it up and put it in her mouth.”

Close

Video: 5 Things to Know About Overdose Rescue Medication Naloxone

5 Things to Know About Overdose Rescue Medication Naloxone

Thibault grabbed the container, worried she may swallow foil in it and gotten sick.

“We got probably got as far as the other side of the street, where she just collapsed. She was completely unresponsive,” he said. 

>> Read more trending news 

Thibault called a nearby animal hospital, which had its ER and a vet ready for them as he rushed her over. 

“She's had a history of digestive issues, so I thought it was maybe something she ate. Opioids was the last thing on my mind at that time,” he said. 

Thibault says the doctor gave Zoey multiple doses of Narcan and told him she had ingested some form of fast-acting opioid. 

Thibault and his family are thrilled to have Zoey back in good health, but he says his concerns about opioids are even greater now than before.

>> Walgreens to begin selling OTC Narcan to combat opioid epidemic

“The greater community is a bigger concern, the fact a kid could have picked it up," he said. 

Police were alerted to the incident with Zoey and found the empty cigarette container. 

Andover police say they get calls about needles at times, but this was highly unusual.

Close

What You Need To Know: Opioids

Related

Close

Puppy revived with Narcan after eating discarded opioid

Boston25News.com
Pete Thibault said he was walking his dog recently when she started chewing on something. Moments later, the dog collapsed.

Download Our App!

Listen on Alexa!

Y100 Concerts

Y100 Rodeo

8 Man Jam

Mobile Apps

Everything you love about y100fm.com and more! Tap on any of the buttons below to download our app.

AMAZON ALEXA

Enable our Skill today to listen live at home on your Alexa Devices!