Posted: November 16, 2017
By Michelle Ewing, Cox Media Group National Content Desk
A London theater is reportedly looking into numerous allegations of "inappropriate behavior" against actor Kevin Spacey.
According to The Associated Press, the Old Vic theater said Thursday that the 20 alleged incidents took place from 1995 to 2013. Spacey, 58, was artistic director there from 2004 to 2015.
The theater, which said the allegations followed an investigation into Spacey's behavior that began last month, said it "truly apologizes for not creating an environment or culture where people felt able to speak freely," the BBC reported.
The news is the latest in a string of allegations of sexual misconduct against the actor, starting with a claim by "Rent" star Anthony Rapp that Spacey made a sexual advance toward him when Rapp was just 14. Spacey issued a controversial apology on Twitter, claiming he did not remember the incident if it had occurred. He publicly came out as gay in the same statement, sparking criticism that he was trying to tie being gay to predatory behavior.
Spacey was dropped from "House of Cards," his talent agency and publicist soon after the allegations surfaced, the AP reported.
Dia Dipasupil/Getty Images
Dia Dipasupil/Getty Images
Kevin Spacey issued a controversial apology late Sunday to actor Anthony Rapp, who accused Spacey of sexual misconduct toward him in 1986, when Rapp, now 46, was 14.
"I have a lot of respect and admiration for Anthony Rapp as an actor. I'm beyond horrified to hear his story," Spacey tweeted in response to Rapp's allegation to BuzzFeed that Spacey invited the then-teenager to a party at his apartment, “picked Rapp up, placed him on his bed and climbed on top of him.”
"I honestly do not remember the encounter, it would have been over 30 years ago," Spacey, now 58, said in the statement. "But if I did behave then as he describes, I owe him the sincerest apology for what would have been deeply inappropriate drunken behavior, and I am sorry for the feelings he describes having carried with him all these years."
Spacey continued: "This story has encouraged me to address other things about my life. I know that there are stories out there about me and that some have been fueled by the fact that I have been so protective of my privacy. As those closest to me know, in my life I have had relationships with both men and women. I have loved and had romantic encounters with men throughout my life, and I choose now to live as a gay man. I want to deal with this honestly and openly and that starts with examining my own behavior."
Spacey’s statement combining the apology with coming out was widely condemned on social media.
"Coming out is a beautiful part of being gay," journalist and author Mark Harris tweeted. "Attaching it to this vileness is so wrong."
Dan Savage, Rose McGowan and other celebrities also slammed Spacey's statement.
Rapp tweeted the following in response to the BuzzFeed article:
"I came forward with my story, standing on the shoulders of the many courageous women and men who have been speaking out to shine a light and hopefully make a difference, as they have done for me. Everything I wanted to say about my experience is in that article, and I have no further comment about it at this time."
Following an allegation that Kevin Spacey made a sexual advance on actor Anthony Rapp when Rapp was 14 years old, Netflix has suspended production of “House of Cards,” according to CNBC.
Rapp made the allegation in an interview with BuzzFeed News that was published Sunday.
“MRC (Media Rights Capital) and Netflix have decided to suspend production on ‘House of Cards’ season six, until further notice, to give us time to review the current situation and to address any concerns of our cast and crew,” Netflix and production company Media Rights Capital said in a joint statement Tuesday.
In the wake of the report, Spacey issued a statement in which he said he didn’t remember the incident, which, according to Rapp, happened when Spacey was 26 and he was 14.
“I honestly do not remember the encounter, it would have been over 30 years ago. But if I did behave then as he describes, I owe him the sincerest apology for what would have been deeply inappropriate, drunken behavior, and I am sorry for the feelings he describes having carried with him all these years,” Spacey said in a statement early Monday. Spacey also came out as gay in the statement, which was criticized by many as an attempt to deflect from the allegation.
Netflix and MRC announced Monday that “House of Cards” would end with season six in 2018. Discussions about the end of the series were reportedly in the works since the summer, before Rapp’s allegation.
Kevin Spacey is seeking treatment following allegations of inappropriate sexual advances made by several young male actors with whom he previously worked.
“Kevin Spacey is taking the time necessary to seek evaluation and treatment. No other information is available at this time,” the statement read.
The news comes just days after “RENT” actor Anthony Rapp accused Spacey of making sexual advances toward him when Rapp was 14 and Spacey was 26 in 1986.
Rapp alleged that Spacey invited him to his apartment and when they were alone, Spacey “picked me up like a groom picks up the bride over the threshold. But I don’t, like, squirm away initially, because I’m like, ‘What’s going on?’ And then he lays down on top of me.”
Spacey later apologized for the incident in a statement on Twitter.
According to PEOPLE, another actor, Roberto Cavazos, made similar allegations against Spacey and said that this alleged inappropriate behavior was “common” practice while he was the artistic director at The Old Vic Theatre.
“I myself had a couple of unpleasant encounters with Spacey that were on the edge of being considered assault,” Cavazos reportedly wrote in Spanish on Facebook. “In fact, if I was a woman, I probably wouldn’t have doubted in identifying them as such, but I guess the lack of a direct or aggressive action led me to justify the incident as ‘one of those things.’ ”
He continued, “I can’t recall how many people told me the same story: Spacey would ask them to meet to ‘talk about their career.’ When they got to the theater, he had a beautifully lit picnic ready on stage with champagne. Each story varies in how far the picnic went, but the pattern was the same. It was more common to find Spacey at the bar of his theater, cornering whoever caught his attention.”
A spokesperson for the theater said that there were “no complaints made against him” during his 12-year run.
USA Today reports that another accuser, filmmaker Tony Montana, said a drunken Spacey approached him in a Los Angeles bar in 2003 and allegedly groped his genitals saying, “This designates ownership.”
“He grabbed my whole package, he grabbed me hard; no one had ever done that to me,” Montana alleged.
Production on Spacey’s Netflix series has since been suspended.
Just after several other male actors stepped forward with allegations of sexual harassment by Kevin Spacey when they were young, eight “House of Cards” employees have accused him of sexual harassment and assault on set.
A former production assistant on the show recounted to CNN a time when he had picked up Spacey from an offsite location and was driving him back to set. When they had almost returned, Spacey allegedly put his hand down the production assistant’s pants without his permission, the production assistant said. Once on set, he also helped the actor take his belongings to his trailer, where he said Spacey cornered him and touched him again. When the production assistant said, “I don’t think I’m comfortable with this,” he said Spacey became “visibly flustered” and left work for the rest of the day.
A different crew member who worked on “House of Cards” for six seasons additionally alleged that Spacey would repeatedly harass him and would “put his hands on [him] in weird ways.”
“He would come in and massage my shoulders from behind, or put his hands around me, or touch my stomach sometimes in weird ways that in normal, everyday conversation would not be appropriate,” he said, according to CNN.
Neither the production assistant nor the crew member reported Spacey’s behavior to the police or to managers on the show out of fear for their jobs, they said.
“I was in a state of shock. He was a man in a very powerful position on the show, and I was someone very low on the totem pole and on the food chain there,” the production assistant said, according to CNN. “I have no doubt that this type of predatory behavior was routine for him and that my experience was one of many and that Kevin had few, if any, qualms about exploiting his status and position. It was a toxic environment for young men who had to interact with him at all in the crew, cast, background actors.”
“That’s the worst part about this whole thing,” the crew member said, adding that he didn’t feel comfortable asking Spacey to stop. “I would love to be able to speak out about this kind of stuff and not fear.”
A former camera assistant claims to have witnessed Spacey’s alleged conduct and said that “everybody saw” his inappropriate touching, adding, “All the crew members commented on his behavior. What gets me is we have to sign sexual harassment paperwork before the start of the show, and apparently (Kevin Spacey) doesn’t have to do anything and he gets away scot-free with this behavior.”
Netflix, which suspended production amid the allegations, responded to the new accusations in a statement:Netflix was just made aware of one incident, five years ago, that we were informed was resolved swiftly. On Tuesday, in collaboration with MRC, we suspended production, knowing that Kevin Spacey wasn’t scheduled to work until Wednesday. Netflix is not aware of any other incidents involving Kevin Spacey on-set. We continue to collaborate with MRC and other production partners to maintain a safe and respectful working environment. We will continue to work with MRC during this hiatus time to evaluate our path forward as it relates to the production, and have nothing further to share at this time.
“House of Cards” production company Media Rights Company also issued a response:We are deeply troubled to learn about these new allegations that are being made to the press concerning Kevin Spacey’s interaction with members of the crew of ‘House of Cards.’ As the producer of the show, creating and maintaining a safe working environment for our cast and crew has always been our top priority. We have consistently reinforced the importance of employees reporting any incident without fear of retaliation and we have investigated and taken appropriate actions following any complaints. For example, during our first year of production in 2012, someone on the crew shared a complaint about a specific remark and gesture made by Kevin Spacey. Immediate action was taken following our review of the situation and we are confident the issue was resolved promptly to the satisfaction of all involved. Mr. Spacey willingly participated in a training process and since that time MRC has not been made aware of any other complaints involving Mr. Spacey.
Netflix has issued a statement saying it is cutting ties with Kevin Spacey following multiple accusations of sexual harassment against him.
BuzzFeed News reported that the streaming giant said it will not be involved with “House of Cards” if Spacey remains involved. Spacey is a lead in the show and an executive producer.
The company also said it will not be releasing “Gore,” a movie starring Spacey.
“Netflix will not be involved with any further production of House of Cards that includes Kevin Spacey. We will continue to work with MRC during this hiatus time to evaluate our path forward as it relates to the show. We have also decided we will not be moving forward with the release of the film ‘Gore,’ which was in post-production, starring and produced by Kevin Spacey.”
Media Rights Capital, or MRC, the production company behind “House of Cards,” issued a statement soon after Netflix. The statement confirmed Spacey had been suspended from the series.“While we continue the ongoing investigation into the serious allegations concerning Kevin Spacey’s behavior on the set of ‘House of Cards,’ he has been suspended, effective immediately. MRC, in partnership with Netflix, will continue to evaluate a creative path forward for the program during the hiatus.”
The statement comes after Anthony Rapp, a 46-year-old actor, told BuzzFeed News Spacey made a sexual advance on him when he was 14 years old and Spacey was 26.
Spacey issued a statement after the story was published, saying in part, “I owe him the sincerest apology for what would have been deeply inappropriate drunken behavior, and I am sorry for the feelings he describes having carried with him all these years.” He also came out as gay in the statement, which was criticized by many as an attempt to distract from Rapp’s allegation against him.
Shortly after Rapp’s interview was published, Netflix and MRC announced production on the sixth and final season of the show would halt until further notice. According to The Hollywood Reporter, the sixth season was in talks to be the final in the series since the summer.
Two episodes of season six have reportedly already been shot.
Since then, eight people who have worked on “House of Cards” have made claims that Spacey sexually harassed them. Three others -- a journalist, a 16-year-old boy interested in acting and a military adviser who worked on set on one of Spacey’s movies have come forward in a Friday BuzzFeed News report to allege sexual abuse.
An earlier report from THR said Spacey will likely be written out of the final season. Spacey plays Frank Underwood, an ambitious politician in Washington.
“They shut it down to figure out how to write him out,” an unnamed source told THR. Netflix declined to comment on the report.
The Los Angeles Times reported Thursday night that Spacey’s long time publicist, Staci Wolfe, and talent agency CAA have split with the actor. Before cutting ties with Spacey, Wolfe issued the following statement on Spacey’s behalf on Wednesday: “Kevin Spacey is taking the time necessary to seek evaluation and treatment. No other information is available at this time.”
A former Boston news anchor is the latest to accuse actor Kevin Spacey of sexual assault allegations, but this time it involves her son.
Heather Unruh, a former anchor with WCVB-TV, said Wednesday her son was assaulted by Spacey last year at a Nantucket bar.
"My son is worried, but he is also confident the time to act is now," she said. "He did not report the crime at the time ... he knew the kind of attention that would result from making an accusation against such a public person."
Unruh recently tweeted about the allegations after the widespread accusations against prominent movie executive Harvey Weinstein.
According to Unruh, her son was at a bar when he encountered Kevin Spacey, who gave him alcoholic drinks -- though he was underage at the time. She said her son had told him he was of age.
After her son was drunk, Unruh said Spacey put his hand into her son's pants and grabbed him.
"The climate in this country has changed now," she said. "Thanks to the brave women who have come forward with their accusations against Harvey Weinstein and other sexual abusers ... There are a lot of people who hide behind keyboards and say really ugly things."
Kevin Spacey continues to have career fallout after multiple allegations of sexual harassment.
Deadline reported Thursday that the actor’s scenes have been cut from the J. Paul Getty biopic “All the Money in the World.” The film’s director, Ridley Scott, along with Imperative Entertainment’s Dan Friedkin and Bradley Thomas have removed Spacey’s scenes from the already finished movie.
Christopher Plummer will replace Spacey in the role of Getty. The movie, about the 1973 kidnapping of Getty’s 16-year-old grandson John Paul Getty III, is still set for a Dec. 22 release.
Plummer will reshoot all scenes in which Spacey appeared. The decision is supported by Sony Pictures and the cast and crew of the film. Mark Wahlberg and Michelle Williams, who also have roles in the movie, will be reshooting scenes with Plummer. According to The Hollywood Reporter, how the reshoots will happen -- whether with assistance from visual effects or not -- is not clear.
Spacey getting cut comes after actor Anthony Rapp accused the actor of making a sexual advance on him when he was 14 years old and Spacey was 26. Eight employees on Netflix’s “House of Cards” -- in which Spacey was a lead actor and executive producer -- accused Spacey of predatory conduct. Spacey has since been suspended from the show. Netflix has also scrapped plans to release a Gore Vidal biopic starring and produced by Spacey.
In one of the latest accusations against the actor, former TV anchor Heather Unruh said Spacey sexually assaulted her 18-year-old son last year.
The recast is going to have impact beyond the film, however. Marketing materials, such as film posters and other memorabilia, will need to be redone as well.
Sign up below to be added to our mailing list for the latest news, updates, access to exclusive contents, and more!
Take www.y100fm.com everywhere you go! Download your app below from the Google Play Store or Apple App Store:
Enable our Skill today to listen live at home on your Alexa Devices!