Posted: October 12, 2017
By Michelle Ewing, Cox Media Group National Content Desk
In the wake of numerous sexual misconduct claims against producer Harvey Weinstein, actor James Van Der Beek shared that he, too, has been "grabbed by older, powerful men" in Hollywood.
"I've had them corner me in inappropriate sexual conversations when I was much younger," the "Dawson's Creek" alum tweeted, adding, "I understand the unwarranted shame, powerlessness & inability to blow the whistle. There's a power dynamic that feels impossible to overcome."
Van Der Beek did not name the men who had touched him inappropriately.
I understand the unwarranted shame, powerlessness & inability to blow the whistle. There’s a power dynamic that feels impossible to overcome— James Van Der Beek (@vanderjames) October 12, 2017
The revelation came after Van Der Beek, 40, tweeted in support of Weinstein's accusers.
"What Weinstein is being accused of is criminal," Van Der Beek wrote. "What he's admitted to is unacceptable – in any industry. I applaud everybody speaking out."
For anyone judging the women who stayed silent, read this for perspective. Also for anyone brushing off harassment as “boys being boys.” https://t.co/UX9xWxpn2K— James Van Der Beek (@vanderjames) October 12, 2017
What Weinstein is being accused of is criminal. What he’s admitted to is unacceptable - in any industry. I applaud everybody speaking out.— James Van Der Beek (@vanderjames) October 12, 2017
Van Der Beek isn't the first man to share his own sexual assault story. Actor and former NFL linebacker Terry Crews tweeted Tuesday that he had been groped by a "high level Hollywood executive."
UPDATE, Nov. 10:
People reported Wednesday that Terry Crews has filed a police report after he said a “high level Hollywood executive” groped him at a 2016 event.
Crews told TMZ cameras as he walked out of Los Angeles Police Department’s Hollywood Division on Wednesday that he filed the report and plans to file a lawsuit.
“People have to be held accountable, he said. Of plans to file a suit, he said, “We’re going to go all the way.”
ORIGINAL STORY Oct. 10:
Actor and former NFL linebacker Terry Crews came forward on Twitter that an unnamed “Hollywood executive” groped him last year at an event.
The actor shared the incident in a series of candid tweets in an effort to “deter a predator and encourage someone who feels hopeless.”
Crews’s message comes after several women came forward, accusing film producer Harvey Weinstein of forcing them into sexual acts. The complaints span decades against the Miramax co-founder. Weinstein acknowledged the accusations in a statement to the New York Times and vowed to “deal with this issue head on.”
Harvey Weinstein’s wife of 10 years, Marchesa designer Georgina Chapman, is leaving him amid continuing sexual harassment allegations against the producer.
People reported that the decision comes as more women continue to come forward alleging decades of sexual harassment by Weinstein, 65.
“My heart breaks for all the women who have suffered tremendous pain because of these unforgivable actions. I have chosen to leave my husband,” Chapman said in a statement to People. “Caring for my young children is my first priority and I ask the media for privacy at this time.”
The New York Times reported Thursday that, over decades, Weinstein reached eight settlements with women who accused him of unwanted physical contact and sexual assault.
On Tuesday, Gwyneth Paltrow and Angelina Jolie both came forward, sharing their own experiences with Weinstein, saying that the powerful movie producer sexually harassed them. Three other women have accused Weinstein of rape, according to a report from The New Yorker.
Weinstein and Chapman are parents to India Pearl, 7, and Dashiell Max Robert, 4.
On Friday, Weinstein told The Daily Mail that his family was sticking by his side.
“I have had tough conversations with my family -- really tough ones -- but my family is standing with me,” he said. “I have a journey and I have to prove to every person that’s out there that I’m worthy of them and I have to prove to my family the same thing.
“This is going to be a journey, a lonely journey, but a journey where my wife and kids couldn’t be stronger and couldn’t be standing behind me more.”
Former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton was "shocked and appalled" by allegations of sexual harassment and assault lobbed in recent days against Hollywood mogul and long-time Democratic Party donor Harvey Weinstein.
Several women, including some of Hollywood’s most well-known actresses, have come forward with allegations of sexual harassment against Weinstein since The New York Times detailed in a report last week decades of accusations made against the film producer.
Actresses Angelina Jolie and Gwyneth Paltrow told the Times on Tuesday that they were sexually harassed in separate occasions by Weinstein. Three women, including Italian actress Asian Argento, accused Weinstein of rape in an expose published Tuesday by The New Yorker.
"The behavior described by women coming forward cannot be tolerated,” Clinton said Tuesday in a statement. “Their courage and the support of others is critical in helping to stop this kind of behavior."
Weinstein has been a major Democratic Party donor. He and his family has given more than $1.4 million in political contributions since the 1992 election cycle. The explosive report by The New York Times last week and subsequent stories have forced congressional Democrats to give thousands of dollars in donations they received from Weinstein to charities.
Clinton did not mention donations in her statement.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
Actresses Gwyneth Paltrow and Angelina Jolie on Tuesday joined the growing list of women who claim Hollywood producer Harvey Weinstein sexually harassed them.
Paltrow told The New York Times that she was 22 when Weinstein put his hands on her during a private meeting in his hotel suite, where he ignored work and instead suggested they get massages in his bedroom. Paltrow told the newspaper that she was “a kid” and “petrified” by the powerful movie producer. Paltrow’s then-boyfriend Brad Pitt confirmed to the Times through a representative that he once confronted Weinstein and told him to never touch Paltrow again.
In an email to The New York Times, Jolie offered a similar tale.
“I had a bad experience with Harvey Weinstein in my youth, and as a result, chose never to work with him again and warn others when they did,” Jolie wrote. “This behavior towards women in any field, any country is unacceptable.”
Other actresses, such as Ashley Judd, Rosanna Arquette, Asia Argento and Rose McGowan, are among the many women who have alleged that Weinstein acted inappropriately toward them.
A piece in the New Yorker details how several women have accused Weinstein of rape. Writer Ronan Farrow detailed how Weinstein’s alleged behavior became an “open secret” in Hollywood.
“For more than 20 years, Weinstein has … been trailed by rumors of sexual harassment and assault,” Farrow wrote. “This has been an open secret to many in Hollywood and beyond, but previous attempts by many publications, including The New Yorker, to investigate and publish the story over the years fell short of the demands of journalistic evidence.”
In the days following the report in the New York Times, Weinstein was fired by the board of directors at his production company. The once-powerful film producer has said he will seek counseling.
Sign up below to be added to our mailing list for the latest news, updates, access to exclusive contents, and more!
Take www.y100fm.com everywhere you go! Download your app below from the Google Play Store or Apple App Store:
Enable our Skill today to listen live at home on your Alexa Devices!