Baby killed by rat parents raised to feed snake



(Getty Images)

Trending on Facebook

More popular and trending stories

A 6-month-old Pennsylvania child has died after a rat his family was raising to feed a pet snake bit him, transmitting two deadly conditions, according to CBS News.

Tests found that the boy died of meningitis and myocarditis, diseases caused by rat-bite fever, which is extremely rare, but can be transmitted by rodent bites, as the name implies.

"It was pretty dominant in the baby's brain," Charlie Hall, Cumberland (Penn.) County Coroner told CBS News.

The baby was rushed to the emergency room Dec. 30 and died in the emergency room two days later. The autopsy report was released Thursday.

"It's bizarre," Hall said. The coroner said he's never seen anything like it.

Read CBS News' full story.

Download Our App!

Listen on Alexa!

Y100 Concerts

Y100 Rodeo

8 Man Jam

Mobile Apps

Everything you love about and more! Tap on any of the buttons below to download our app.


Enable our Skill today to listen live at home on your Alexa Devices!