Sign up below to be added to our mailing list for the latest news updates, access to exclusive contents, and more!
We've all done it: called the boss prepared with a fake cough and sniffle, and came up with some excuse so we can enjoy a relaxing day off. But some excuses are just so far-fetched it's a surprise these workers had a job to go back to.
For the 10th year in a row, CareerBuilder has released its “The Most Unbelievable Excuses for Calling in Sick.” Last year an employee said he couldn’t come in because his false teeth flew out the window while he was driving down the highway (a personal favorite). This year's excuses are also pretty creative:
1. I just put a casserole in the oven.
2. My plastic surgery needed some “tweaking” to get it just right.
3. I was sitting in the bathroom and my feet and legs fell asleep. When I stood up, I fell and broke my ankle.
4. I had been at the casino all weekend and still had money left to play with on Monday morning.
5. I woke up in a good mood and didn’t want to ruin it.
6. I had a “lucky night” and didn’t know where I was.
7. I got stuck in the blood pressure machine at the grocery store and couldn’t get out.
8. I had a gall stone I wanted to heal holistically.
9. I caught my uniform on fire by putting it in the microwave to dry.
10. I accidentally got on a plane.
The excuses were gathered through a Harris Poll of 3,000 workers and 2,000 hiring managers. Now while these excuses are entertaining, they are also risky.
Nearly 18% of employers say they have fired an employee for calling in sick when they actually weren't. The best way to avoid getting caught is to stay off of social media and keep those party selfies to yourself. That's how 24% of employers say they've caught their employees having a good time when they were supposed to be at work.
Of course, we all know there is an art to faking sick which Ferris Bueller mastered:
You may be offline. Please check your connection and try again using the Retry button.