Posted: October 10, 2017
By Kelcie Willis, Cox Media Group National Content Desk
Harvey Weinstein’s wife of 10 years, Marchesa designer Georgina Chapman, is leaving him amid continuing sexual harassment allegations against the producer.
People reported that the decision comes as more women continue to come forward alleging decades of sexual harassment by Weinstein, 65.
“My heart breaks for all the women who have suffered tremendous pain because of these unforgivable actions. I have chosen to leave my husband,” Chapman said in a statement to People. “Caring for my young children is my first priority and I ask the media for privacy at this time.”
The New York Times reported Thursday that, over decades, Weinstein reached eight settlements with women who accused him of unwanted physical contact and sexual assault.
On Tuesday, Gwyneth Paltrow and Angelina Jolie both came forward, sharing their own experiences with Weinstein, saying that the powerful movie producer sexually harassed them. Three other women have accused Weinstein of rape, according to a report from The New Yorker.
Weinstein and Chapman are parents to India Pearl, 7, and Dashiell Max Robert, 4.
On Friday, Weinstein told The Daily Mail that his family was sticking by his side.
“I have had tough conversations with my family -- really tough ones -- but my family is standing with me,” he said. “I have a journey and I have to prove to every person that’s out there that I’m worthy of them and I have to prove to my family the same thing.
“This is going to be a journey, a lonely journey, but a journey where my wife and kids couldn’t be stronger and couldn’t be standing behind me more.”
Filmmaker Harvey Weinstein was fired Sunday from The Weinstein Company after new information about his conduct was revealed.
Weinstein took a leave of absence Thursday after allegations of decades of sexual abuse were brought to light in a New York Times story.
The movie production company’s board of directors decided to fire Weinstein Sunday mentioning new information but did not provide further details.
“In light of new information about misconduct by Harvey Weinstein that has emerged in the past few days, the directors of the Weinstein Company have determined, and have informed Harvey Weinstein, that his employment with The Weinstein Company is terminated, effective immediately.”
A spokesperson for The Weinstein Company declined to provide details on Weinstein's firing.
An attorney for Weinstein didn't immediately comment to The Associated Press Sunday.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
Three women accused film producer Harvey Weinstein of forcing them into sexual acts in an expose published Tuesday -- accusations that the Hollywood giant denied in a statement through one of his representatives.
The allegations came to light just days after The New York Times detailed complaints of sexual harassment spanning decades against the Miramax co-founder. Weinstein acknowledged the accusations in a statement to the newspaper last week and vowed to “deal with this issue head on.”
In a report published Tuesday by The New Yorker, former aspiring actress Lucia Evans, Italian actress Asia Argento and a woman who was not identified told the magazine that they were forced into sexual acts with Weinstein. Evans told the magazine that she was assaulted by Weinstein in 2004, while Argento said she was assaulted in 1997. The New Yorker did not say when the third alleged attack took place.
In a statement issued to The New Yorker, a spokeswoman for Weinstein, Sallie Hofmeister, denied the accusations.
“Any allegations of non-consensual sex are unequivocally denied by Mr. Weinstein,” she said. “Mr. Weinstein obviously can’t speak to anonymous allegations, but with respect to any women who have made allegations on the record, Mr. Weinstein believes that all of these relationships were consensual. Mr. Weinstein has begun counseling, has listened to the community and is pursuing a better path. Mr. Weinstein is hoping that, if he makes enough progress, he will be given a second chance.”
Actresses Mira Sorvino and Rosanna Arquette told The New Yorker that they suspected that Weinstein kept them from working in Hollywood after they rejected his advances. Hofmeister denied the allegation.
Four women, including Filipina-Italian model Ambra Battilana Gutierrez, told The New Yorker that Weinstein touched them inappropriately in a way that could be construed as assault.
Guitierrez said she went to the New York Police Department after Weinstein groped her in 2015, according to The New Yorker. He admitted to grabbing her without consent in an audio recording taken by the model for police, but no charges were filed against Weinstein.
Weinstein was ousted from his position with The Weinstein Company on Sunday amid fallout from the sexual harassment allegations uncovered by The New York Times. Multiple celebrities have come out in support of Weinstein’s accusers in the wake of the report.
Actresses Gwyneth Paltrow and Angelina Jolie on Tuesday joined the growing list of women who claim Hollywood producer Harvey Weinstein sexually harassed them.
Paltrow told The New York Times that she was 22 when Weinstein put his hands on her during a private meeting in his hotel suite, where he ignored work and instead suggested they get massages in his bedroom. Paltrow told the newspaper that she was “a kid” and “petrified” by the powerful movie producer. Paltrow’s then-boyfriend Brad Pitt confirmed to the Times through a representative that he once confronted Weinstein and told him to never touch Paltrow again.
In an email to The New York Times, Jolie offered a similar tale.
“I had a bad experience with Harvey Weinstein in my youth, and as a result, chose never to work with him again and warn others when they did,” Jolie wrote. “This behavior towards women in any field, any country is unacceptable.”
Other actresses, such as Ashley Judd, Rosanna Arquette, Asia Argento and Rose McGowan, are among the many women who have alleged that Weinstein acted inappropriately toward them.
A piece in the New Yorker details how several women have accused Weinstein of rape. Writer Ronan Farrow detailed how Weinstein’s alleged behavior became an “open secret” in Hollywood.
“For more than 20 years, Weinstein has … been trailed by rumors of sexual harassment and assault,” Farrow wrote. “This has been an open secret to many in Hollywood and beyond, but previous attempts by many publications, including The New Yorker, to investigate and publish the story over the years fell short of the demands of journalistic evidence.”
In the days following the report in the New York Times, Weinstein was fired by the board of directors at his production company. The once-powerful film producer has said he will seek counseling.
Sign up below to be added to our mailing list for the latest news, updates, access to exclusive contents, and more!
Take www.y100fm.com everywhere you go! Download your app below from the Google Play Store or Apple App Store:
Enable our Skill today to listen live at home on your Alexa Devices!