FILE - In this Jan. 7, 2018, file photo, Aziz Ansari arrives at the 75th annual Golden Globe Awards at the Beverly Hilton Hotel in Beverly Hills, Calif. Comedian Ansari has responded to allegations of sexual misconduct by a woman he dated in 2017. Ansari said in a statement Sunday, Jan. 14, that he apologized last year when she told him about her discomfort during a sexual encounter in his apartment he said he believed to be consensual.
Michelle Ewing, Cox Media Group National Content Desk
Comedian Aziz Ansari released a statement Sunday in response to allegations of sexual misconduct first reported on women's website Babe.net.
According to the article published Saturday, a 23-year-old photographer said Ansari pressured her into having oral sex and "repeatedly asked her for sexual intercourse after she had already declined" after the pair went on a date in September.
"In September of last year, I met a woman at a party. We exchanged numbers. We texted back and forth and eventually went on a date. We went out to dinner, and afterwards we ended up engaging in sexual activity, which by all indications was completely consensual," the statement read, according to USA Today.
"The next day, I got a text from her saying that although 'it may have seemed okay,' upon further reflection, she felt uncomfortable. It was true that everything did seem okay to me, so when I heard that it was not the case for her, I was surprised and concerned. I took her words to heart and responded privately after taking the time to process what she had said."
The statement added: "I continue to support the movement that is happening in our culture. It is necessary and long overdue."