A Georgia State University soccer player who was suspended from the team after she used a racial epithet on social media has withdrawn from the school, officials said.
Some students had called for the expulsion of 18-year-old freshman defender Natalia Martinez after the epithet appeared on her Finsta page, a secret version of Instagram that is growing in popularity among teens.
“As a progressive, diverse university, we ... feel like this sort of behavior should not be tolerated,” said India Bridgeforth, who created a petition demanding the university take a tougher approach with Martinez.
Associate athletic director Mike Holmes told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution that officials were made aware of Martinez’s post Friday morning — just days after the University of Alabama expelled a 19-year-old student who posted a video of a racist rant on her Finsta page.
That student, Harley Barber, uploaded a second video on Martin Luther King Jr. Day in response to people who were upset by the language and threatened those who wanted to report her fake Instagram account, The Washington Post reported.
In a statement, Georgia State University said the school does “not tolerate the language (Martinez) used in her post.”
To Jurgen Klopp, the expletive seemed appropriate, even during an on-air interview.
Klopp, the German-born manager of Liverpool’s Premier League soccer team, let a vulgar word escape as he did a post-match interview with NBC Sports Soccer on Sunday, The New York Daily News reported.
Klopp was exulting after the Reds’ 4-3 victory against Manchester United when he dropped the F-bomb on the air, causing the interviewer to apologize to the viewing audience.
“I thought in America it’s OK,” Klopp joked, referencing an alleged vulgarity uttered last week by President Donald Trump during a meeting with members of Congress..
Arlo White of NBC Sports Soccer later tweeted that “the language got little ‘fruity’ at our pitch side desk. Apologies again for that.”
Police in southwest Florida arrested three juveniles in connection with the burglary and theft of a vehicle belonging to former soccer star Abby Wambach, The Naples Daily News reported.
The teens were arrested by Naples police Dec. 15 on charges of grand theft and auto theft, the Daily News reported. The juveniles, whose names are not being released because they are minors, admitted committing the crimes when interviewed, police said.
Wambach had posted an angry message on Instagram about the alleged crimes.
Wambach — a longtime U.S. soccer player and Olympic gold medalist — and her wife, Glennon Doyle Melton, told police that someone entered Wambach’s car parked in the driveway of their home between 1:30 and 4:30 a.m. Dec. 6.
In a post on Instagram, Wambach said the burglars stole valuables and wrote hate speech with a permanent marker all over the inside of the car, according to the post.
The Dec. 6 Instagram post said a neighbor's surveillance camera recorded video of the burglars, with one wearing a hoodie and cargo shorts and another wearing an Ohio State cap, a gray top, and Nike shorts and shoes. The burglars left fingerprints on the car door.
“Neighbors camera got you, you idiots!! If you turn yourself in now, and return the stolen property, and pay for the car damages we won’t press charges,” Wambach wrote on the Instagram post. “If you don’t, you are going to jail. You have 24 hours.”
Two of the three arrested attend Gulf Coast High School in North Naples, the police report states. Two of those arrested are 15, while the other is 14, police said.
Two of the three each face four charges: grand theft of a motor vehicle worth less than $100,000; grand theft from a motor vehicle, worth between $300 and $5,000; burglary without a weapon; and criminal mischief.
The third suspect was charged with one count of grand theft of a motor vehicle worth less than $100,000, according to the police report.
United States women’s national team goalkeeper Hope Solo accused former FIFA president Sepp Blatter of sexually assaulting her in 2013, ESPN reported.
Solo told Expresso that Blatter grabbed her buttocks before the pair went on stage in 2013 to present an award to Solo’s teammate, Abby Wambach.
“It's been normalized,” Solo said of such behavior.
A representative for Blatter called the allegation “ridiculous” in a statement to Expresso and The Guardian.
Solo and Blatter walked onstage together in January 2013 to present the 2012 women's world player of the year award to Wambach.
“I was in shock and completely thrown off," Solo told The Guardian on Friday. “I had to quickly pull myself together to present my teammate with the biggest award of her career and celebrate with her in that moment, so I completely shifted my focus to Abby.”
Solo said she never saw Blatter again after the ceremony, ESPN reported.
“That was kind of bad,” she told Expresso. “I didn't get to tell him directly. ‘Don't ever touch me!’ That's the way I've always handled things. Directly.”
Blatter, now 81, was banned by FIFA in 2015 over a conflict of interest case.
“While in this instance it was Sepp Blatter, who was the most powerful man in football at the time, sexual harassment and inappropriate behavior are rampant at every level in women's sport, and it needs to stop,” Solo said.
On Oct. 1, one of the biggest stars of the U.S. Women’s National Soccer Team was out with friends at Epcot in Orlando, Florida, when the night took a major turn for the worse.
Alex Morgan, who also plays for the Orlando Pride, was out with Orlando City player Donny Toia and his wife, and after some sort of altercation, the trio was kicked out of the park and told not to come back, authorities said.
The Orange County Sheriff’s Office released body camera footage of the three as deputies issued them trespass warnings for “conduct not welcome on Walt Disney property.”
Deputies and park officials said Morgan and the Toias were being verbally aggressive, loud and belligerent toward park staff and other guests, according to a Sheriff’s Office report.
In the video, the three can be heard arguing with the deputy and park employees and at one point, one of them, who was off camera, took exception with how a deputy described their behavior.
“Dude, you guys are lying right now,” the woman can be heard saying. “I can’t imagine what black people go through.”
As his son practiced at XL Soccer World in Orlando on Tuesday, Erlend Kleiven said he was disappointed in what he saw in the body camera video.
“Obviously, as a role model from the national team, for young kids to look up to her, wear her jersey, obviously that’s not something that is good for the sport,” he said.
While soccer dad Jason Gilmore agreed that what he saw in the video was not a good example for aspiring players, he argued that Morgan might be getting more flak than was warranted.
“It isn’t great role model stuff, but on the other hand, I mean, we kind of forgive this stuff, and worse, from male athletes,” he said.
After spending about 15 minutes in a conference room at Epcot, the three were escorted from the park, but not before Morgan assured her friends that the trespass warning wouldn’t stick.
“That’s fine,” she said after hanging up her phone. “It’ll be rescinded tomorrow. It’ll be rescinded tomorrow.”
The Walt Disney Co. warned that if Morgan or the Toias ever entered its property again – which includes all theme parks, water parks and resorts – they could face arrest.
None were charged criminally in connection with the incident.
Morgan apologized for the incident on Twitter.
Organizers leading a North American bid to host the 2026 World Cup trimmed its list of potential host cities to 32 on Wednesday, and 254 cities in the United States remain in the running as venues for soccer’s showcase event, The Washington Post reported.
The U.S. front-runners include Atlanta, Boston, Chicago, Dallas, Houston, Los Angeles, Miami, New York, Philadelphia, San Francisco, Seattle and Washington, the Post reported. Other American cities in the running were Baltimore; Charlotte, North Carolina; Cincinnati; Denver; Detroit; Kansas City, Missouri; Las Vegas; Minneapolis; Nashville, Tennessee; Orlando, Florida; Phoenix; Salt Lake City; and Tampa, Florida.
U.S. cities eliminated from consideration were Birmingham, Alabama; Cleveland; Indianapolis; Jacksonville, Florida; New Orleans; Pittsburgh; and San Antonio, Texas. The two Canadian cities dropped from the list were Regina and Ottawa.
The World Cup was last staged in North America during the summer of 1994.
If the North American bid is successful, the United States would stage 60 matches in about a dozen venues, the Post reported. Mexico and Canada would have 10 games apiece.
All three Mexican bidding cities (Mexico City, Guadalajara and Monterrey) are widely expected to make the final cut. Canada will probably settle for two venues, with Toronto, Vancouver, Montreal and Edmonton in the running.
Representatives from the remaining cities will meet in Houston next month for a working session with the United Bid Committee. FIFA — soccer’s international governing body — will announce the winner in June, the Post reported.
Soccer star Wayne Rooney has been arrested on suspicion of “drink-driving,” the BBC reported Friday.
England's all-time record scorer, who played for Everton, was stopped by police near his home in Cheshire on Thursday night, the BBC reported.
Rooney, 31, announced his international retirement last week, after 53 goals for his country in 119 appearances.
Earlier Thursday, Rooney had been pictured at the Bubble Room bar in Alderley Edge, with the image appearing on Instagram at 10 p.m., The Independent reported. The photograph was later deleted once reports of Rooney’s alleged arrest became public.
Cheshire police declined to comment and Everton has not responded to the BBC's request for a statement.
Soccer star Lionel Messi married his childhood sweetheart in his hometown of Rosario, Argentina, on Friday, the BBC reported.
Messi, 30, married 29-year-old Antonela Roccuzzo in a civil ceremony at a luxury hotel in Rosario. More than 250 guests attended the ceremony, including Messi’s teammates from Barcelona, Luis Suarez, Neymar and Gerald Pique; and Colombia pop star Shakira, the BBC reported.
Messi, a forward for Barcelona, first met Roccuzzo when he was 13.
Argentina's Clarín newspaper has called the nuptials "the wedding of the year" and "the wedding of the century," the BBC reported.
“Being who he is, he could have been married in the best place in the world, and must have had many offers,” Enrique Dominguez, Messi’s former coach at Newell’s Old Boys, told CNN. “And yet he chose Rosario.”
Messi and Roccuzzo have two children -- Thiago, 4; and Mateo, 1.
Portuguese soccer star Cristiano Ronaldo confirmed Thursday that he is the father of twins born to a surrogate mother, the BBC reported.
Ronaldo confirmed the birth of the boy and girl after the Portuguese national team lost in the semifinals of the Confederation Cup in Kazan, Russia. Portugal and Chile played to a scoreless tie, but Chile advanced on penalty kicks.
Ronaldo posted a photo holding the twins, noting that he was “So happy to be able to hold the two new loves of my life.”
Ronaldo already has a son, Cristiano Ronaldo Jr., who was born in June 2010, the BBC reported.
The twins were born on June 8, the BBC said unconfirmed reports out of Portugal. The SIC television station reported the children were named Mateo and Eva, the BBC said.
Orlando City Soccer Club forward Cyle Larin was arrested early Thursday in Orlando and charged with driving under the influence, the Florida Highway Patrol said.
Investigators said a trooper spotted a white Cadillac shortly after 2:30 a.m. traveling the wrong way on the South Ivanhoe Boulevard ramp.
The vehicle merged onto North Orange Avenue and continued to travel in the wrong direction in the wrong lanes, so the trooper pulled over the driver, investigators said.
The driver stopped in the middle of the road, and an oncoming Mercedes stopped within feet of the vehicle, preventing a head-on collision, according to an arrest report.
The driver told the trooper he was unfamiliar with the area and wasn't from the area, the report said. Investigators said he later told the trooper he moved from Toronto, Canada, to Orlando about three years ago.
The trooper described the man's eyes as bloodshot and glossy and said that the vehicle smelled of alcohol, the report said.
The trooper asked the driver to pull into an adjacent parking lot, where he identified himself as Cyle Larin and a field sobriety test was performed, officials said.
Investigators said that Larin, whose speech was slurred and who had difficulty answering questions, told the trooper that he and his female passenger were coming back from Ono Nightclub in downtown Orlando, but he said he hadn't drunk any alcohol.
The report said Larin had difficulty following some of the trooper's instructions during the field sobriety test and kept changing his answer when asked how much he had to drink, the report said.
Larin told the trooper he had "two to three vodka Red Bulls," according to the report. He was arrested and taken to the Orange County Jail, where he blew a .179 and .182 during breathalyzer tests, troopers said. The legal limit for blood alcohol content in Florida is .08
Larin was booked into the Orange County Jail and is being held in lieu of $500 bond.
Take www.y100fm.com everywhere you go! Download your app below from the Google Play Store or Apple App Store:
Enable our Skill today to listen live at home on your Alexa Devices!