Now Playing
Y100 FM
On Air
No Program
Now Playing
Y100 FM

sports

200 items
Results 1 - 10 of 200 next >

Serena Williams learned sister's killer was paroled before worst loss of career

Serena Williams said she learned 10 minutes before the worst defeat of her professional tennis career that the man who killed her older sister had been paroled, Time reported.

>> Read more trending news 

Williams, who owns an Open-era 23 Grand Slam singles titles, lost 6-1, 6-0 in 52 minutes to Johanna Konta on July 31 at the Mubadala Silicon Valley Classic. 

Time published an interview Thursday that detailed Williams’ comeback after her pregnancy and the challenges of balancing motherhood and her professional career.

Williams told the magazine that she learned that Robert E. Maxfield, who was convicted in 2003 of killing 31-year-old Yetunde Price, was paroled three years short of his full sentence, ESPN reported.

"I couldn't shake it out of my mind," Williams told Time.

"I have so many things on my mind; I don't have time to be shocked about a loss that clearly wasn't at my best right now," Williams said after her loss to Konta. "When I was out there, was fighting. That's the only thing I can say."

Williams said she found out about Maxfield’s parole while checking her Instagram account, ESPN reported.

"It was hard because all I think about is her kids and what they meant to me,” Williams told Time. “And how much I love them."

"No matter what, my sister is not coming back for good behavior. It's unfair that she'll never have an opportunity to hug me."

Williams was asked if she could forgive Maxfield but told Time she was “not there yet.”

“I would like to practice what I preach, and teach (daughter) Olympia that as well.” Williams told the magazine. “I want to forgive. I have to get there. I'll be there."

Jury says former NASCAR driver Greg Biffle intruded on ex-wife's privacy

Jurors reached a verdict Monday in the civil court case involving former NASCAR driver Greg Biffle. 

According to the jury, Greg Biffle did invade the privacy of his ex-wife, Nicole Biffle.

Nicole Biffle and her mother sued him, claiming Greg Biffle had hidden cameras installed in bedrooms and bathrooms of their mansion, recorded them and showed that video to other people.

>> Read more trending news 

There were 12 days of testimony in the case, including expert witnesses discussing the cameras.

Greg Biffle took the stand in court and denied doing anything inappropriate. He said that his wife had known the cameras were there.

The jury said Greg Biffle did “intrude offensively upon the privacy” of his ex-wife with the positioning of hidden cameras in their home.

Jurors awarded $1 in damages Monday. The plaintiff was seeking $9 million.

Jurors decided the cameras did not cause emotional distress. 

Both sides claimed victory after the ruling.

“What the jury said sends a loud message that they don’t believe there was wrongdoing,” Greg Biffle told WSOC.

Amy Simpson, the attorney for Nicole Biffle, said it proves Greg Biffle was in the wrong.

A hearing to consider punitive damages is scheduled for next Monday.

Autographed baseball from first Hall of Fame class fetches record $623K

A baseball signed by 11 members of the original National Baseball Hall of Fame class in 1939 sold for a record $623,368.80 Sunday at SCP Auctions’ Summer Premier Auction, Sports Collectors Daily reported.

>> Read more trending news 

The Reach Official American League baseball contained the signatures of Babe Ruth, Honus Wagner, Ty Cobb, Cy Young, Tris Speaker, George Sisler, Walter Johnson, Connie Mack, Nap Lajoie, Eddie Collins and Grover Cleveland Alexander, the auction house said in its catalog listing.

The winning bid set a record for an autographed baseball from a non-game used ball, Sports Collectors Daily reported.

The first vote for the Hall of Fame was held in 1936, with Cobb, Johnson, Ruth, Wagner and Christy Mathewson enshrined. Over the next two years, 21 more players, executives and baseball pioneers were elected.

The National Baseball Hall of Fame opened in June 1939, in Cooperstown, New York, and the 12 living Hall of Fame players were invited to the dedication ceremony. The only member to decline was Lou Gehrig, who was unable to attend, Sports Collectors Daily reported. Gehrig was in Rochester, Minnesota, where he would be diagnosed with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, a disease he would die from two years later.

The ball belonged to Marv Owen, a third baseman for the Chicago White Sox. Future Hall of Famer Hank Greenberg, who played with Owen in Detroit, brought two baseballs to the ceremony but told Owen he was too shy to ask the players for their autographs, SCP Auctions said.

When Owen got the players to sign the baseballs, Greenberg allowed Owen to keep one of them, SCP Auctions said.

Owen stored the ball in a fur-lined glove that was housed in a safety deposit box, SCP Auctions wrote in its listing. After Owen died in 1991, the family kept the ball. It was sold for $55,000 at a Christie’s auction in 1997, Sports Collectors Daily reported.

Steelers fan in full uniform sneaks onto practice field to challenge Antonio Brown

Pittsburgh Steelers training camp took a bizarre turn Saturday when a man made his way onto the practice field with the apparent intention of challenging superstar wide receiver Antonio Brown.

>> Watch the news report here

In a video posted to social media, team staff can be seen ushering the man off the field behind Brown, who can be heard saying, “My boy said he ain’t embarrassing himself at all; he wanna check me. Let him check me real quick.”

>> Watch the clip here

The man, wearing a black and yellow uniform that isn’t Steelers issue, wore No. 43 – the number worn by former Steelers defensive icon Troy Polamalu.

>> Read more trending news 

It wasn’t immediately clear who the man was or how he got onto the field.

2 Miami Dolphins, other NFL players kneel during national anthem in preseason openers

Miami Dolphins receivers Kenny Stills and Albert Wilson took a knee on the sideline during the national anthem before Thursday’s NFL preseason opener against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, The Miami Herald reported.

>> Read more trending news 

“Being a part of this protest hasn’t been easy,” Stills told WFOR. “I thought I was gonna be by myself out there and today I had an angel with me, with Albert (Wilson) being out there. I’m grateful that he sees what’s happening and he wants to stand up and do something about it as well.”

In addition, Miami defensive end Robert Quinn raised a clenched right fist during the anthem.

"As a black man in this world, I've got an obligation to raise awareness,'' Quinn said after the game. "If no one wants to live in unity, that's why we're in the situation we're in.”

Stills’ protest came after President Donald Trump accused players of disrespecting the American flag. He has kneeled during the 2016 and 2017 seasons, ESPN reported.

Trump responded with a tweet Monday morning, posting that the “NFL players are at it again.”

Numerous players from different teams, Trump tweeted, “Wanted to show their ‘outrage’ at something that most of them are unable to define.”

“They make a fortune doing what they love,” the President said, ending his tweet by telling players to “find another way to protest.”

“Stand proudly for your National Anthem or be Suspended Without Pay!” he tweeted.

Last month, the NFL suspended its new anthem policy, which mandated that players stay in the locker room if they wanted to protest, WFOR reported.

"There has been no change in the NFL's policy regarding the national anthem," league spokesman Brian McCarthy said in a statement issued Thursday night. "The anthem will continue to be played before every game, and all player and non-player personnel on the field at that time are expected to stand during the presentation of the flag and performance of the anthem. Personnel who do not wish to do so can choose to remain in the locker room.

"We remain committed to working with the players to identify solutions and to continue making progress on important social issues affecting our communities."

Wilson sat during the anthem once last season, refusing to stand while playing for the Kansas City Chiefs in Week 5 against the Houston Texans, the Herald reported.

Quarterback Colin Kaepernick, who first brought the protests to light when he took a knee in August 2016 while playing for the San Francisco 49ers, tweeted his support for Stills and Wilson.

Elsewhere:

In Seattle, three members of the Seahawks ran into the tunnel before the national anthem, according to The Associated Press.

Defensive linemen Branden Jackson and Quinton Jefferson, and offensive lineman Duane Brown exited the field after team introductions and before the anthem. They returned to the sideline after the anthem ended.

In Jacksonville, four Jaguars were not on the field when the anthem was played before their home game against New Orleans, ESPN reported. Linebacker Telvin Smith, cornerback Jalen Ramsey, running back Leonard Fournette and running back T.J. Weldon left the field and returned after the anthem.

At Baltimore, both teams stood, but Ravens linebacker Tim Williams stood alone in front of the bench with his back toward the field, ESPN reported.

Wake Forest basketball assistant facing charge in death of New York City tourist

An assistant basketball coach at Wake Forest University was arrested in New York City on Thursday and charged in an assault that resulted in the death of a Florida man who was in town for a wedding, The New York Post reported.

>> Read more trending news  

Jamill Jones, 35, turned himself in to police Thursday, WABC reported. He was arraigned in Queens Criminal Court on Thursday night and was charged with a third-degree assault charge, which is a misdemeanor in New York, according to CNN

He was ordered to return to court on Oct. 2.

Early Sunday morning, Sandor Szabo, 35, of Boca Raton, was knocking on a car window because he thought it was his Uber ride, the television station reported.

Szabo was banging on multiple cars, including Jones', before the incident, the Post reported. When a resident came outside to investigate, Szabo allegedly punched him in the face, the newspaper reported.

According to police, Jones then got out of the vehicle and punched Szabo in the face and then drove away. Szabo lost consciousness when his head hit the pavement and died in a hospital Tuesday afternoon, according to the Post.

Szabo was treated for fracture on his face and the back of his head, and also for bleeding on the brain, according to the complaint filed against Jones.

The medical examiner's office said it had not determined a cause of death, CNN reported.

Steve Shutt, a spokesman for the Wake Forest athletics department, issued a statement Thursday,  The Winston-Salem Journal reported.. 

“We have just been made aware of this matter and we are gathering information," Shutt said. "We will make a further statement after we learn more about the matter.”

Jones' attorney, Alain Massena, told CNN that the incident with Szabo was "a tragic accident and we will deal with it in the courts." 

Jones is about to begin his second season as an assistant to Danny Manning at Wake Forest, according to the team’s website. He has been an assistant coach at the University of Central Florida, Virginia Commonwealth University and Florida Gulf Coast University, ESPN reported.

Jones, a native of Philadelphia, graduated from Arkansas Tech in 2008, according to his biography on the Wake Forest website

Teen girl arrested in burglary at home of Nebraska football coach Scott Frost

Police arrested a 17-year-old girl in connection with a burglary last month at the home of University of Nebraska football coach Scott Frost, The Lincoln Journal Star reported.

>> Read more trending news

The juvenile, whose name was not released, was found with an Oregon Ducks shoe that was reported to have been stolen from Frost’s home on July 29, the newspaper reported.

The home of Frost had been under renovation for four months and was empty when the break-in occurred, ESPN reported.

>> $165K of memorabilia stolen from home of Scott Frost

Frost initially reported that memorabilia estimated at more than $165,000 had been stolen, but he said July 30 that 14 championship rings from his days at Nebraska, the University of Oregon and the University of Central Florida were found in his garage.

Five pairs of shoes, a signed UCF helmet and other memorabilia valued at approximately $50,000 was still missing, ESPN reported.

Lincoln police found that some of the shoes were listed for sale online, Officer Angela Sands told the Journal Star.

Sands would not say what led police to the girl, the newspaper reported.

Ex-NFL star Jerod Mayo's missing dog found dead in trainer's house

The dog belonging to former New England Patriots linebacker Jerod Mayo has been found dead, the Rhode Island SPCA said.

>> Serial pet killer may have mutilated, slain 7 cats; $3K reward offered in search for suspect

The organization said the body of Knox, a 5-year-old English bulldog, was found in a home in Cranston, where its dog trainer lives. 

Cranston police have charged Ameila Ferriera with obstruction.

RISPCA said evidence indicates Ferreira has known about the whereabouts of Knox's dead body for several weeks and concealed his body from investigators. 

>> On Boston25News.com: Man who threw dog off bridge charged with animal cruelty, claims pup liked it, officers say

Investigators said additional charges may be filed depending on the results of a necropsy to determine how the animal died. 

On his Instagram page, Mayo wrote, "Unfortunately, the answers we prayed for regarding Knox aren't the ones we were ready to face."

Police in Wrentham, Massachusetts, were called to Joe's Rock, the conservation area off of West Street, for a report of a lost dog in June. 

At that time, Knox was being walked with another dog by a trainer from Cranston, Rhode Island, police said.

>> Read more trending news 

The trainer then lost track of Knox while taking care of the other dog, and Knox disappeared, police said.

The trainer called police, who responded and searched the area, authorities said.

Rare 1955 Mickey Mantle baseball card found in pack opening at national convention

Fortune was in the cards for a bookbinder from Maryland on Saturday night. 

Chris Rothe paid $500 to take a random spot in a drawing for an unopened, 20-card cello pack of 1955 Bowman baseball cards at the National Sports Collectors on Friday. 

>> Read more trending news

Rothe was assigned the No. 19 slot and won a near-pristine Mickey Mantle card, Sports Collectors Daily reported.

Pack owner Leighton Sheldon, who bought the rare pack at last year’s convention from a longtime dealer, decided to sell spots for his new venture, VintageBreaks.com, charging $500 per slot. While the price was steep, the entire cello pack was valued at $10,000 and every slot was taken, Sports Collectors Daily reported.

On center stage at the convention, Sheldon yelled when he saw the Mantle, which is card No. 202 in the 1955 Bowman set.

“My eyes bulged out of my head,” Sheldon told ESPN.

The card was graded a 9 out of a possible 10 on Saturday by Professional Sports Authenticator, a card and memorabilia grading service.

It is only the eighth 1955 Bowman card of Mantle ever graded 9 by PSA, and the first in more than 20 years. Only three have ever been rated a 10 by the grading service, Sports Collectors Daily reported.

Rothe, who was working as a third-generation bookbinder in Maryland, decided to check the video of the pack opening when he discovered he had won the Mantle card.

"My friend told me my face went pale white when I saw it," Rothe told ESPN. "I was weak in the knees."

Sheldon said he already heard from a collector who offered $50,000 for Rothe’s card, ESPN reported.

Rothe told ESPN he was going the sell the card, but did not say whether he had accepted the $50,000 offer, Sports Collectors Daily reported.

"I have the card in a (PSA graded) 3," Rothe told ESPN. "That's good enough. I'll use the money to get a (Roberto) Clemente rookie and maybe get a lower-graded Mantle rookie."

Bowman, a card company based out of Philadelphia, was the main player in the baseball card industry until it was bought out by Topps in 1956. The 1955 set was the company’s final baseball card set until it was revived by Topps in 1989.

Nike decides not to renew deal with Tampa Bay QB Jameis Winston

Nike has decided not to renew its endorsement deal with Tampa Bay Buccaneers quarterback Jameis Winston, a company official told ESPN on Friday.

>> Read more trending news

Winston’s contract with the apparel company expired before the NFL announced the quarterback’s suspension for the first three games of the 2018 season. The NFL handed down the suspension -- for violating the league’s personal conduct policy -- after Winston was accused of groping a female Uber driver in 2016, ESPN reported.

After originally denying that the incident took place, Winston apologized after the suspension was announced in late June, ESPN reported.

Winston won the Heisman Trophy in 2013 while leading Florida State University to a national title. He was the No. 1 pick in the 2015 NFL draft.

Calls to Winston's marketing agent, Russ Spielman, were not returned Friday, The Tampa Bay Times reported.

200 items
Results 1 - 10 of 200 next >