There is a tiny, uninhabited island off the coast of Montenegro in the Adriatic Sea that was once the site of a World War II concentration camp. The camp was occupied by Italian troops under fascist dictator Benito Mussolini.
Historians claim that 2,300 people were imprisoned here and at least 130 were killed or starved to death.
Now, Swiss-Egyptian developer Orascom wants to convert that abandoned island into a luxury vacation resort.
The Montenegrin government approved a project to transform the islet of Mamula into a resort, complete with swimming pools, a yacht marina, a spa, restaurants and a dance floor. It granted Orascom a 49-year lease for $1.64 per square meter. Mamula's diameter is about 200 meters.
"We were facing two options: to leave the site to fall into ruin or find investors who would be willing to restore it and make it accessible to visitors," Olivera Brajovic, head of Montenegro's national directorate for tourism development, told AFP.
Montenegrin tourism officials have said the resort would attract tourism and help boost the country's economy.
But many family members of the wartime camp's prisoners are outraged.
"To build a luxury hotel dedicated to entertainment at this place where so many people perished and suffered is a blatant example of lack of seriousness towards history," Olivera Doklestic told AFP
Doklestic's grandfather, father and uncle were all imprisoned at Mamula.
Orascom said it'll invest $16.3 million in the project.
Read more about the proposed development here.
See images and video of the proposed development here.
The first photos of a new volcanic island near Tonga have gone viral.
According to ABC, hotel owner GP Orbassano recently visited the island, which emerged in the Pacific after an eruption in January.
"We had a beautiful view of the volcano, which inside is now full of green emerald water, smelling of sulphur and other chemicals," Orbassano told Radio Australia. "The view was fantastic."
<iframe src="//storify.com/cmgnationalnews/must-see-first-photos-of/embed?header=false&border=false" width="100%" height="750" frameborder="no" allowtransparency="true"></iframe><script src="//storify.com/cmgnationalnews/must-see-first-photos-of.js?header=false&border=false"></script>[View the story "Must-see: First photos of new Pacific island off Tonga" on Storify]
Trending on Facebook
Police have identified and arrested seven suspects in connection with the murders of former Miss Venezuela Monica Spear and her ex-husband — and investigators say it's all thanks to her camera.
The head of Venezuela's national crime investigation agency told CNN Thursday authorities found a camera Spear had been using to photograph the Venezuelan countryside inside one of the seven suspects' homes.
The Los Angeles Times reports the suspects include two teenagers and a 39-year-old woman. According to the outlet, police claim all three belong to a gang.
Police say they are also on the hunt for four more suspects in the shootings of Spear and Thomas Henry Berry, who were both found dead on the side of the road near Puerto Cabello Monday night. (Via Sky News)
According to authorities, the two were driving with their five-year-old daughter, Maya, when they got a flat tire and stopped on the side of the road. Their killers then reportedly approached the vehicle and tried to rob them. (Via Euronews)
Police say the family tried to resist the robbery attempt by locking themselves inside, but that didn't stop their killers from shooting at them through the windows.
Officials said in a statement Tuesday Maya was in stable condition after being treated for a leg wound she suffered during the attack. She is reportedly now with relatives in Caracas and will attend her parents' funerals. (Via Hollywood Life)
Authorities in Venezuela say violence on the country's roads and highways is common. According to the Venezuelan Violence Observatory, nearly 25,000 violent deaths took place there last year alone. The country has a population of about 30 million.
None of the suspects arrested in this most recent act of violence have been charged, but police say there is evidence linking each of them to the double murder.
- See more at newsy.com.
The aftershock of Japan’s disastrous earthquake and tsunami can still be felt by the continuous cleanup at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant. Two years of nuclear runoff spilling into the ocean have caused environmental activist Joe Martino to warn: “Your days of eating Pacific Ocean fish are over.
His choice words on the activist website Collective Evolution are quantified in this infographic compiled by German researchers at GEOMAR. The animation shows the dispersion of Cesium-137, a radioactive byproduct, will reach every corner of the Pacific by the year 2020. (Via GEOMAR)
Martino’s claim comes after the latest numbers by the Tokyo Electric Power Company, or TEPCO, show more than 300 tons of contaminated water seep into the Pacific Ocean each day.
NHK News confirms: “A low wall surrounds tanks at reactor No. 4. Workers found a puddle forming just outside it. Officials with Tokyo Electric Power Company says the water in one of the tanks dropped from 1,000 to 700 tons.”
Martino clarifies the severity of the new numbers, saying, “To give you an idea of how bad that actually is, Japanese experts estimate Fukushima’s fallout at 20-30 times as high as as the Hiroshima and Nagasaki nuclear bombings in 1945.” (Via Collective Evolution)
March 11, 2013, marked the two-year anniversary of the disaster. And while activists like Martino recount new numbers that continue to grow, other voices like energy consultant Mycle Schneider are asking for a call to action.
On Friday, he wrote in CNN saying even Japan’s top brass see the slow-paced cleanup as “careless” and “shocking.” (Via CNN)
So to save Japan’s coast and fishing community, Schneider says Fukushima “needs international help.” He proposes global liaisons compile a task force to hold Japan accountable for the cleanup.
However, Japan’s domestic problems could also be to blame for standstill. A report Friday from Bloomberg reveals clashes between Japan’s deep fishing culture and TEPCO aren’t making things move faster.
Currently, fishermen are butting heads with the Japanese energy company over a pipeline that could divert inland groundwater away from the Fukushima disaster area. This could possibly cut the amount of contaminated water reaching the Pacific by 25 percent, but Japan’s fisheries have yet to sign off on the deal. They worry the plan will spread radioactive water to clean areas. (Via Bloomberg)
With a limited supply of seafood, no one might hurt more than Japan’s population. The country imports more seafood than any other. Data from the United Nations shows 6 percent of the world’s fish harvest is eaten in Japan. Its citizens make up 2 percent of the global population.
- See more at Newsy.com
Take www.y100fm.com everywhere you go! Download your app below from the Google Play Store or Apple App Store:
Enable our Skill today to listen live at home on your Alexa Devices!