Now Playing
Y100 FM
On Air
No Program
Now Playing
Y100 FM

world

200 items
Results 21 - 30 of 200 < previous next >

Photos: Trump welcomes 3 Americans detained in North Korea back to U.S.

Staging a flag-waving, still-of-the-night arrival ceremony, President Donald Trump early Thursday welcomed home three Americans freed by North Korea and declared their release a sign of promise toward his goal of de-nuclearizing the Korean Peninsula.

Ex-CIA officer accused of spying for China

A former CIA officer is facing charges after authorities said he worked to gather sensitive national security information for China.

>> Read more trending news

Authorities initially arrested Jerry Chun Shing Lee, 53, in January on suspicion of unlawfully retaining national defense information. He was arrested at New York’s John F. Kennedy International Airport.

About six years earlier, in August 2012, authorities executed search warrants on hotel rooms used by Lee and his family as they relocated back to the U.S. from Hong Kong, Justice Department officials said. In the rooms, investigators said they found classified information written by hand in a pair of small books.

The notes included the true names of covert CIA employees and the locations of covert facilities, among other classified information, authorities said. A thumb drive containing information classified as Secret was also recovered, officials said.

Authorities believe the information was used by Beijing in its efforts to dismantle American spy operations and to identify informants in China, The New York Times reported.

Lee, who is a naturalized U.S. citizen, worked as a case officer for the CIA from 1994 to 2007. Authorities said he was approached by a pair of Chinese intelligence officers in April 2010 and offered money in exchange for information. Officials allege that Lee worked for the foreign officers, providing them with documents related to America’s national defense, until at least 2011.

“Lee’s alleged actions betrayed the American people and his former colleagues at the CIA,” Assistant Attorney General for National Security John Demers said Tuesday in a statement.

Authorities claim Lee “prepared documents responsive to the taskings (from the Chinese intelligence officers), made numerous unexplained cash deposits and repeatedly lied to the U.S. government during voluntary interviews when asked about travel to China and his actions overseas.”

Lee’s attorney, Edward MacMahon, denied after a court appearance in February that his client spied for China, NPR reported.

“Mr. Lee is not a Chinese spy,” MacMahon said. “He is a loyal American who loves his country.”

Egyptian authorities announce what is behind walls of Tutankhamun’s tomb

Egyptian officials finally know what lies behind the walls of King Tut’s tomb -- absolutely nothing.

Officials had been confident, 90 percent sure, that there was a hidden room behind the plastered walls of Tutankhamun’s tomb.  Some theorized that it was the Queen Nefertiti’s burial chamber, but now new research shows that there is no chamber, multiple media outlets are reporting.

It all started when archeologist Nicholas Reeves looked at scans that showed what he believed were faint signs of a door beneath the thousands-of-years-old plaster, the BBC reported.

In his paper, “The Burial of Nefertiti,” Reeves wrote that Tutankhamun’s tomb was originally designed for the queen -- who some believe was his mother and that that woman whose bust is known the world over -- and she was simply interred in an undiscovered area of the burial site. 

Not only do some scholars of ancient Egyptian history believe that Nefertiti was Tut’s mother, some go as far as believing that she served as pharaoh after her husband, the Pharaoh Akhenaten -- also known as Amenhotep the IV prior to taking the throne and father to Tutankhamun -- died during his reign. 

Italian researchers from the University of Turin have been scanning Tut’s burial chamber in light of Reeves’ discoveries and they say that their results show that there is no extra chamber, NBC News reported.

“It is maybe a little bit disappointing that there is nothing behind the walls of Tutankhamun’s tomb, but I think on the other hand that this is good science,” Francesco Porcelli told the BBC.

Porcelli said that the team looked at three sets of radar data and cross-checked them to make sure their findings were accurate.

Other scans conducted by scientists from Japan and the United States had proved inclusive, NBC News reported.

The Egyptian government has accepted the latest results as it prepares to open a new museum that will highlight more than 43,200 ancient artifacts, with more than 4,500 coming from Tut. The opening is planned for 2022, NBC News reported.

Man trying to take selfie with bear is mauled to death

A man in India trying to take a selfie with a wounded bear was mauled to death by the animal as his friends recorded the incident on their cellphones, according to the Hindustan Times.

>> Read more trending news

Prabhu Bhatara, who had attended a wedding Wednesday in Kotapad, was returning to Papadahandi with friends in an SUV, the newspaper reported. 

The group stopped in the Nabarangpur district of Odisha so Bhatara could use a restroom. He then spotted an injured bear and decided to click a selfie, the Times reported.

Friends tried to dissuade Bhatara from taking the photo, but he continued to approach the bear. The animal chased Bhatara and then fatally mauled him. A stray dog tried to fight the bear but could not distract it, forest officials said.

“Bhatara died on the spot,” forest ranger Dhanurjaya Mohapatra told the Times.

As Bhatara was being mauled, his friends recorded the incident but did not attempt to rescue him, forest officials said.

Forest officials recovered Bhatara’s body later in the day after tranquilizing the bear, the Times reported.

“The bear is being treated for its injuries,” Mohapatra said.

Trump's NRA speech criticized by French officials

Government officials in France and Britain criticized a portion of President Donald Trump’s speech to the National Rifle Association that suggested more lenient gun laws could have prevented deadly attacks in Paris in 2015, Reuters reported.

>> Read more trending news

During his speech to the NRA on Friday, Trump said that if civilians had been armed in Paris, “it would have been a whole different story.”

French Finance Minister Bruno Le Maire told BFM television Sunday that he hoped Trump “would express regret,” Reuters reported.

“His comments are shocking and not worthy of the president of the world’s greatest superpower,” Le Maire told the station.

In a statement, the French foreign office expressed its “firm disapproval” of Trump’s comments.

“(We demand) that the memory of the victims be respected,” the foreign office said. “France is proud to be a country where acquiring and carrying firearms is strictly regulated.”

During his speech, Trump acted out the scene of the Nov. 13, 2015, attack, when 90 of the 130 victims died.

“They took their time and gunned them down one by one. Boom! Come over here. Boom! Come over here. Boom!,” Trump said, using his hands in a gun gesture.

Francois Hollande, who was president of France in 2015, said on Twitter that Trump’s remarks were “shameful” and “obscene.”

LOOK: Princess Charlotte kisses Prince Louis in adorable photo by Kate Middleton

Aww!

Britain's Kensington Palace released two adorable photos of new royal baby Prince Louis – including one of his big sister, Princess Charlotte, giving the newborn a kiss on her birthday.

>> Royal baby now has a name: Louis Arthur Charles

The photos were taken by Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge, formerly known as Kate Middleton.

>> Read more trending news 

"The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge are very pleased to share two photographs of Princess Charlotte and Prince Louis, taken by The Duchess at Kensington Palace. This image was taken on 2nd May, on Princess Charlotte’s third Birthday," Kensington Palace tweeted.

>> See the photo here

A second tweet read: "This image of Prince Louis was taken by The Duchess of Cambridge at Kensington Palace on 26th April. The Duke and Duchess would like to thank members of the public for their kind messages following the birth of Prince Louis, and for Princess Charlotte’s third birthday."

>> See the tweet here

Dodgers earn first combined no-hitter in franchise history

Walker Buehler, making only the third start of his major-league career, teamed with three relievers to throw the first combined no-hitter in franchise history and the first one in Mexico as the Los Angeles Dodgers blanked the San Diego Padres 4-0 Friday night.

>> Read more trending news

It was the franchise’s 23rd overall no-hitter, but the first time more than one pitcher teamed to keep a team hitless, The Los Angeles Times reported. It’s also the 12th combined no-hitter in major-league history, ESPN reported.

Buehler worked six innings, and the rookie right-hander struck out eight and walked three. Tony Cingrani worked the seventh inning, walking two, while Yimi Garcia and Adam Libertore retired the side in the eighth and ninth innings, respectively.

Friday night’s gem was the second no-hitter of the 2018 season. Oakland lefty Sean Manaea tossed one against the Boston Red Sox on April 21.

When Liberatore struck out Padres outfielder Franchy Cordero to end the ninth, Buehler ran off the bench and jumped into his catcher's arms, the Times reported.

Nobel Prize in Literature postponed after sexual misconduct scandal

The Nobel Prize in Literature will not be awarded this year, the Swedish Academy said Friday.

>> Read more trending news

The annual prize is being canceled in 2018 because of a sexual abuse scandal involving the Swedish panel, The New York Times reported.

The Swedish Academy said it would award two prizes in 2019. The lack of a winner in the literature category marks the first time since 1943 that the panel is not awarding one of the world’s top cultural prizes, the Times reported.

Other Nobel Prizes are not affected by the academy’s decision, the newspaper reported.

The Nobel Foundation said in a statement Friday that, “The crisis in the Swedish Academy has adversely affected the Nobel Prize. Their decision underscores the seriousness of the situation and will help safeguard the long-term reputation of the Nobel Prize.”

In November, a Swedish newspaper reported that 18 women said they had been sexually assaulted or harassed by Jean-Claude Arnault, a photographer who is tied to the Swedish Academy, the Times reported. Arnault has denied the allegations.

Arnault is married to a member of the academy, Katarina Frostenson.

Israeli diplomat claims he was ejected from Uber ride in Chicago for speaking Hebrew

An Israeli diplomatic official said he was thrown out of an Uber ride in Chicago Thursday night for speaking Hebrew, WBBM reported.

>> Read more trending news

Itay Milner, Deputy Consul General of Israel to the Midwest, said he was 10 minutes into his Uber ride when he told to exit the vehicle by the driver.

On Facebook, Milner said he was told to leave the car because he answered his telephone in Hebrew.

“I just had the worst experience of my life. I was just thrown out of an Uber because I was speaking my mother tongue,” Milner wrote. “Ten minutes into my ride with no prior interaction between me and the driver, the driver started yelling ‘Get out of my car!’ All because I answered the phone in Hebrew.

“I am not easily intimidated, but I was scared.”

A statement released by an Uber spokeswoman said that the ride sharing company “does not tolerate any form of discrimination.”

“We are reaching out to the rider to extend our support for the experience he described here,” the spokeswoman wrote. “As soon as we were made aware of this, we removed the driver’s access from the app as we look further into this.”

North Korea releasing 3 American prisoners, Giuliani says

Rudy Giuliani, now a member of President Donald Trump’s legal team, told “Fox & Friends” on Thursday morning that North Korea is releasing three American prisoners.

>> Read more trending news

Here is the latest information:

Update 3:25 p.m. EDT May 3: White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders said Thursday that she could not confirm reports that three Americans detained in North Korea would be released from labor camps Thursday.

“I can’t confirm the validity of the reports currently out about their release,” she said at a news briefing, directing questions about the reported release to Giuliani.

Update 9:10 a.m. EDT May 3: South Korea's Yonhap News Agency reported Wednesday that North Korean officials moved three U.S. citizens from a labor camp to a hotel in early April. The agency cited an activist and officials did not immediately confirm the report.

The detainees were identified as Kim Hak-song, Tony Kim and Kim Dong-chul.

CNN reported that Kim Dong-chul has been detained in North Korea since 2015, when he was arrested and accused of spying for South Korea. Tony Kim was detained in April 2017 and Kim Hak-song was detained in May 2017, CNN reported. Both men, who worked at the privately run Pyongyang University of Science and Technology, are accused of committing "hostile acts" against Kim Jong Un's regime.

Update May 3, 2018 8:13 AM EDT: "We've got Kim Jong Un impressed enough to be releasing three prisoners today," Giuliani said on the show.

Giuliani's statement came hours after Trump tweeted: "As everybody is aware, the past Administration has long been asking for three hostages to be released from a North Korean Labor camp, but to no avail. Stay tuned!"

Other news outlets, including the Washington Times and the Independent, reported that the prisoners had been released but that U.S. officials had not yet confirmed the news.

200 items
Results 21 - 30 of 200 < previous next >