Now Playing
Y100 FM
On Air
No Program
Now Playing
Y100 FM


200 items
Results 21 - 30 of 200 < previous next >

Former FBI deputy director Andrew McCabe fired two days before retirement

United States Attorney General Jeff Sessions has fired former deputy director of the FBI Andrew McCabe, two days before McCabe was set to retire, according to news reports.

>> Read more trending news 

Sessions said in a statement released Friday night that McCabe was less than truthful while under oath several times, according to The New York Times.

“The F.B.I. expects every employee to adhere to the highest standards of honesty, integrity and accountability,” he said. “I have terminated the employment of Andrew McCabe effective immediately.”

In a statement Friday night, McCabe said his firing was politically motivated.

"This attack on my credibility is one part of a larger effort not just to slander me personally, but to taint the FBI, law enforcement, and the intelligence professionals," McCabe said.

>> Related: Who is Andrew G. McCabe, former Deputy Director of the FBI?

The Associated Press reported Saturday that McCabe has kept memos regarding his interactions with President Trump. 

In an earlier interview, McCabe rejected the allegations that he was untruthful during internal hearings, the Times reported.

>> Rex Tillerson out as Secretary of State; Pompeo nominated as replacement

“The idea that I was dishonest is just wrong,” he said. 

“This is part of an effort to discredit me as a witness.”

McCabe is a potential witness in special counsel Robert Mueller’s investigation into whether the Trump campaign colluded with Russia during the 2016 presidential campaign

Shortly after midnight, President Donald Trump tweeted about the firing, calling it “a great day for democracy.”

>> Related: Who are key players in the Russia/Trump saga?

John Dowd, President Trump’s personal attorney, told The Daily Beast on Saturday that he “prayed” that Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein follows Sessions’ example and brings an end to the Mueller probe.

McCabe, who had been with the FBI for 22 years, resigned his position in late January, but stayed on at the agency until he was eligible to retire on Sunday.

Some Chinese takeout has as much salt as 5 McDonald’s Big Macs, health experts warn

Worried about high blood pressure? You may want to stay away from Chinese takeout.

>> Read more trending news 

Health experts have called for warning labels on Chinese takeaway and ready-made meals following a new survey revealing often "astonishing and harmful" salt levels.

The survey, published this week by a group of specialists from the United Kingdom-based organization Action on Salt, revealed that some Chinese takeaway dishes contain as much salt as five McDonald's Big Macs. Others contain more than half of the recommended daily allowance of salt for adults.

When it comes to ready-made Chinese meals in supermarkets, more than 40 percent of 141 that were analyzed had "high" levels of salt, meaning they contained more than 1.8 grams per portion. Some store-bought rice dishes have more salt than 11 bags of salted chips, the analysis revealed.

>> Related: Half of US adults now have high blood pressure, based on new guidelines

"Considering how many millions of takeaways and ready meals are eaten ... the food industry must be held to account, with new salt targets set by the government to ensure the salt content of these meals is reduced to much lower levels, and fast," Sarah Alderton, assistant nutritionist at Action on Salt, said in a press release.

Sonia Pombo, the organization’s campaign manager, called for the industry to make changes to their products.

"Our data shows that food can be easily reformulated with lower levels of salt, so why haven't all companies acted responsibly?" Pombo said. "We are asking everyone, including the food industry, to think first and use less salt."

Hemini Bharadia of Blood Pressure UK described the findings as "very concerning."

>> Related: These are the best diets for 2018

"We are all eating too much salt. This can lead to high blood pressure causing strokes and heart attacks, most of which could be avoided through better lifestyle choices," Bharadia told The Guardian.

Consuming high levels of salt has been linked to a variety of serious health problems, including high blood pressure, heart disease and strokes.

"Salt is the forgotten killer as it puts up our blood pressure, leading to tens of thousands of unnecessary strokes, heart failure and heart attacks every year," Graham MacGregor, the chairman of Action on Salt and a professor of cardiovascular medicine at Queen Mary University of London, said. "Reducing salt is the most cost-effective measure to reduce the number of people dying or suffering from strokes or heart disease."

As activists in the UK call for salt warning labels, New York City is leading the charge on raising awareness about the risks. In 2015, it became the first city in the United States to require high-sodium warning labels on restaurant menus.

>> Related: High-salt diet could cause dementia, study finds

According to the city government's health web page, New York is conducting "an unprecedented public-private partnership to help prevent heart disease and strokes by reducing the amount of sodium in packaged and restaurant foods."

"The National Salt Reduction Initiative (NSRI), a partnership of more than 100 state and local health authorities and national health organizations, set voluntary targets for salt levels in 62 categories of packaged food and 25 categories of restaurant food to guide food company sodium reductions in 2012 and 2014,” the city government shared on the site.

While this new survey from the U.K. may have highlighted the high levels of salt in Chinese food takeout and ready-made dishes, it’s important to note that high levels of sodium are common in many fast food favorites and snacks Americans consume on a daily basis.

>> Related: 7 ways to lower your blood pressure without medication

New York City's Deputy Health Commissioner Sonia Angell, who is also a physician, told NPR that many people just don't know there's a link between excessive salt intake, high blood pressure and heart disease.

“The majority of salt in our diet doesn't come from the salt shaker — it's already in the food when we purchase it," Angell said. "And that makes restaurants a really important place to give people guidance about how they might be making decisions — if they choose to do so — that might protect their health and their heart."

Miami bridge collapse: 6 confirmed dead, police say

A recently installed pedestrian bridge connecting Florida International University with the City of Sweetwater collapsed Thursday, killing at least six people, the Miami-Dade Police Department said Friday morning.

>> READ MORE: Miami bridge collapse: What is accelerated bridge construction? Photos: FIU pedestrian bridge collapses in Miami | Boston firm partly behind Zakim Bridge designed collapsed Florida bridge7 things to know about the fiery I-85 bridge collapseMORE

WATCH: Haywire ski lift runs in reverse, flings off terrified skiers

A terrifying accident involving a ski lift at a resort in Eastern Europe that started running in reverse at high speed and flinging off horrified skiers was caught on cellphone video and posted on YouTube.

>> Read more trending news 

It happened in Gadauri, Georgia, in the Greater Caucasus Mountains.

The malfunctioning lift violently tossed tourists to the ground as it picked up speed, injuring 10 people, according to The Telegraph, including a Ukrainian man who broke his hand.

>> Related: WATCH: Baby elephant takes tourist on roll through mud. It’s hysterical!

At least one news outlet reported the ski lift operator was to blame for the accident, although it’s unclear exactly what happened.

Sonic will have pickle slushes on the menu this summer

Sonic Drive-In is bringing pickle juice to customers in its signature slush form.

Food & Wine reported that the drive-in restaurant chain will have pickle juice slushes on its menu this summer.

>> Read more trending news 

“Quite simply, pickle juice is fun,” Scott Uehlein, Sonic's vice president of product innovation and development, told Today in a statement. “Nothing says summer like a Sonic slush.”

According to Food & Wine writers who were able to taste the drink at Sonic’s Oklahoma City headquarters, the bright green treat is sweet and tangy. 

A Sonic team member told the publication that the syrup that makes the pickle slush can be added to anything once it’s on the menu, but it will be up to each franchise to decide if there is a charge for that.

Pickle juice slushes will be available to order at Sonic restaurants in June.

Michigan U.S. Senate candidate wants to arm the homeless with shotguns

A U.S. Senate candidate in Michigan has a plan to arm homeless people in an effort to reduce violent crime.

>> Read more trending news 

Candidate Brian Ellison, a Libertarian, is trying to raise $10,000 to put his plan “Arm the Homeless,  plan into action to train and provide weapons to the homeless in metro Detroit, according to

Ellison said the homeless need to be able to protect themselves. "Homeless people are people too, and they have a right to defend themselves," he told MLive.

Ellison said in an interview with the Guardian he thinks the best weapon for a homeless person is a pistol.

“But due to the licensing requirements in the state we’re going to have a hard enough time getting homeless people shotguns as it is,” he said.

“Getting them pistols is probably next to impossible. The pistols need to be registered, people have to have addresses.”

Ellison also told the Guardian he isn’t worried about people walking around town with loaded shotguns and he doesn’t think it presents any additional danger. Giving the homeless ammunition along with a gun is part of his plan, too.

“Are you worried about the police being armed with military weapons?” Ellison asked.

“I am,” he said. “The world we live in is a scary world, where the police who used to dress in short-sleeved shirts and carry a revolver now have long rifles with scopes and bulletproof vests and armored vehicles.” 

“And quite frankly that scares me much more than a homeless person trying to defend themselves with a shotgun,” Ellison told the Guardian.

>> Related: NYT: Democrat Conor Lamb wins PA’s special election, beating Rick Saccone in a Trump stronghold

Ellison is running against popular incumbent Democrat Debbie Stabenow and three Republican candidates, Sandy Pensler, Bob Carr and John James.


Essential oils could pose danger to pets, experts say

Experts say that essential oils could make pets sick, or worse.

If pet owners are using an oil diffuser in their home or putting essential oils on their pet, experts say they should make sure the oil is either diluted or of a low concentration, according to WSOC.

>> Read more trending news 

“Animals can have allergic reactions just like people could to any scent that is out there, or they could have GI upset that could cause stomach ulcers, vomiting, diarrhea,” Dr. Angele Bice, with the Charleston Animal Society, said.

According to the website for Veterinary Centers of America Hospitals, some symptoms of essential oil  poisoning in a dog include difficulty breathing, difficulty walking, drooling, lethargy, muscle tremors, pawing at the face, redness or burns on the skin, lips, gums or tongue and fragrance on a pet’s coat, skin or in their vomit. The same symptoms may also appear in a cat.

If the oil is ingested, a pet may have diarrhea and vomiting.

Experts said that people should make sure pets have a way out of rooms in order to avoid the oils.

Startup offering to preserve brain with '100 percent fatal' procedure for $10,000

Need a way to hold on to your memories forever? One startup is offering a special, but fatal, procedure to help you keep your brain active.

>> Read more trending news

Researchers at Nectome, a medical company founded by MIT graduates, have discovered a way to maintain brain functionality after death with high-tech embalming, a process used to prevent a body from decay. 

“Our mission is to preserve your brain well enough to keep all its memories intact: from that great chapter of your favorite book to the feeling of cold winter air, baking an apple pie, or having dinner with your friends and family,” co-founders Robert McIntyre and Michael McCanna wrote on the business’ website.

 >> On If you don’t get enough sleep, your brain could start eating itself

They will target patients suffering from terminal illnesses. The individuals will be sedated, connected to heart and lung machines, and injected with the embalming chemicals while they are alive. 

The procedure is “100 percent fatal,” the founders warned, but the solution “can keep a body intact for hundreds of years, maybe thousands, as a statue of frozen glass.”

The analysts believe their investigations will help future scientists “recreate consciousness” and retrieve information from the brain’s molecular details. 

>> Related: A few glasses of wine a day can keep your brain ‘clean,’ study says

“You can think of what we do as a fancy form of embalming that preserves not just the outer details but the inner details,” McIntyre told MIT Technology Review.

“If the brain is dead, it’s like your computer is off, but that doesn’t mean the information isn’t there,” added Ken Hayworth, a neuroscientist and president of the Brain Preservation Foundation -- the organization that awarded McIntyre for his recent work on preserving the pig brain.

>> Related: Scientists worry brain-wasting 'zombie deer' disease could spread to humans

The surgery is not yet available to the public as they are still unsure if the memories will be found in the dead tissues. However, they are inviting prospective customers to join a wait list for a $10,000 deposit, which is fully refundable. So far, 25 people have signed up. 

“When a generation of people die, we lose all their collective wisdom. You can transmit knowledge to the next generation, but it’s harder to transmit wisdom, which is learned,” McIntyre said. “That was fine for a while, but we get more powerful every generation. The sheer immense potential of what we can do increases, but the wisdom does not.”

Russia investigation: Special counsel Mueller subpoenas Trump Organization


Special counsel Robert Mueller has subpoenaed the Trump Organization for documents as part of his investigation into Russian meddling in the 2016 presidential election and its possible ties to President Donald Trump and his associates, according to multiple reports.

>> Read more trending news

The subpoena is the first directly connected to one of Trump’s businesses, The New York Times reported Thursday. The newspaper was the first to report on the subpoena, citing two unidentified sources briefed on the situation.

The breadth of the subpoena was not immediately clear, although some documents sought were related to Russia, the Times reported. According to the newspaper, the subpoena was served “in recent weeks.”

>> More on Robert Mueller's investigation

The Trump Organization has already provided investigators with a range of documents, most focused on the period between when Trump announced his candidacy for president, in June 2015, to his inauguration, in January 2017, CNN reported in January. Citing an unidentified source familiar with the situation, the news network reported that the recently issued subpoena was meant “to ‘clean up’ and to ensure that all related documents are handed over to the special counsel.”

In a statement released to several news outlets Thursday, Alan Futerfas, an attorney representing the Trump Organization, said reports of the subpoena were “old news.”

>> Related: Former Trump campaign aide Rick Gates to plead guilty in Mueller investigation

“Since July 2017, we have advised the public that the Trump Organization is fully cooperative with all investigations, including the special counsel, and is responding to their requests,” Futerfas said. “This is old news and our assistance and cooperation with the various investigations remains the same today.”

The decision to subpoena the Trump Organization, which is owned by the president and managed by his children, appeared to mirror the strategy employed by Mueller with the Trump campaign, The Wall Street Journal reported. The newspaper noted that the campaign “voluntarily gave documents to the special counsel for months before receiving a subpoena in October.”

>> Related: Mueller indicts 13 Russians, 3 Russian entities in election meddling probe

Mueller, who headed the FBI from 2001 to 2013, was appointed by the Justice Department in May 2017 to oversee the investigation into Russian interference in the 2016 election. His investigation has thus far led to several indictments and a handful of guilty pleas from people connected to Trump.

Mueller indicted 13 Russians and three Russian entities last month on accusations that they interfered with American elections and political processes, starting in 2014. On Twitter, Trump claimed that information in the indictments proved his innocence on allegations of colluding with Russia to win the election.

Five people have pleaded guilty to charges levied against them in Mueller's investigation. Most recently, former Trump campaign aide Rick Gates pleaded guilty to making false statements and conspiring against the United States.

She thought her professional gamer boyfriend was cheating so she bought samurai sword, police say

A Washington state man is lucky it wasn’t a final game over. 

Professional gamer Alex Lovell’s girlfriend said she thought he was cheating on her after she found the dating app Tinder on his phone. She said she also found a woman’s red hair in their shower drain. Emily Javier, the girlfriend in question, had hair dyed green, The Washington Post reported.

>> Read more trending news 

With the alleged evidence against Lovell, Javier told police she did what she thought was the answer: She went to the mall and bought a samurai sword.

“I thought, I was gonna stab him while he was sleeping,” The Post reported Javier telling police.

But instead of stabbing him, she told police she reached for her sword on March 3, which she had taped to their shared bed along with two knives, and started cutting Lovell over and over as he slept.

He said he woke up and his lifetime of watching kung fu movies, along with martial arts training, helped him stop the attack, Oregon Live reported.

“I told her I loved her, and she was killing me. She needed to call police, or I was going to die,” Lovell told Oregon Live.

Police said she called 911 and told them that she had stabbed her boyfriend and that they needed to hurry because she thought he was dead. When emergency responders arrived, they found Lovell in a ball lying in a blood-spattered room, Oregon Live reported.

The professional gamer had nearly lost his index, middle and ring fingers, but doctors were able to reattach them, Oregon Live reported.

Lovell told the The Columbian that he was not unfaithful to Javier, but he did spend a lot of time playing video games and training for the gaming competitions.

“I  barely had time to hang out with my girlfriend, let alone another girl,” he told the Vancouver, Washington, newspaper.

Javier is charged with attempted murder and was taken to the Clark County Jail on $350,000 bail. She’s scheduled to stand trial in May, Oregon Live reported.

200 items
Results 21 - 30 of 200 < previous next >