Now Playing
Y100 FM
On Air
No Program
Now Playing
Y100 FM

national

200 items
Results 11 - 20 of 200 < previous next >

Kidnapping suspect's mom says boy posed as adult trapped in abusive relationship

The mother of one of the two men accused of kidnapping a 14-year-old Mississippi boy earlier this month spoke to only WHBQ on Saturday afternoon.

>> Watch the news report here

Juan Andrade’s mother said her son and his friend, Jason St. Aubin, are innocent and didn’t know they were picking up a child. According to Bridgett Sixto, the Olive Branch teen posed as a 20-year-old man.

>> On Fox13Memphis.com: Boy thought he was saving captors from suicide, father says

Andrade and Aubin reportedly arrived in Olive Branch more than a week ago after they were arrested in Creal Springs, Illinois. Olive Branch police say Andrade and St. Aubin made contact with the teen through a gamer chat app.

>> On Fox13Memphis.com: Family fears predator used video game messaging app to target child

Andrade and St. Aubin are facing kidnapping and conspiracy charges.

>> On Fox13Memphis.com: Suspects charged with kidnapping boy given $600k bond

Sixto told WHBQ's Jeremy Pierre that her son and St. Aubin thought they came to Mississippi to help a man escape an abusive relationship.

“It was no luring out of anywhere. The boy left under his own accord. They didn’t know they were picking up a kid. They thought they were picking up a 20-year-old guy,” Sixto said.

Sixto said there was no kidnapping going on in this incident. 

"Oh, God, there was no kidnapping at all. That boy came on his own accord; he contacted Jason to come and pick him up,” Sixto said.

>> Read more trending news 

But Sixto told WHBQ that the teenager only communicated with St. Aubin and not her son. She said St. Aubin asked her son to drive him to Mississippi to pick up a friend.

"Juan didn't even know anything about this boy personally talking with him or chatting with him at all,” Sixto said.

Andrade and St. Aubin will be in an Olive Branch courtroom at 9 a.m. Tuesday. Sixto said she plans to make the train ride from Chicago to be in Olive Branch for her son’s court appearance.

Boy dying from leukemia wants racing stickers for his casket

A terminally ill Iowa boy who wants to decorate his casket with racing stickers is asking the public for help.

According to the Des Moines Register, Caleb Hammond, 11, of Oskaloosa, was diagnosed with leukemia in February 2017. After months of unsuccessful chemotherapy treatments, a bone marrow transplant and medical scares, including a week in a medically induced coma with heart failure symptoms, he and his family recently decided to stop treating his illness and spend time together, the newspaper reported.

>> Read more trending news 

Now Caleb, a racing fan who loves to visit Southern Iowa Speedway, has a final request: for the public to send him racing stickers.

"We're trying to decorate his casket," his uncle, Chris Playle, told the Register.

Meanwhile, Team Kids With Cancer 46-7 made one of Caleb's dreams come true by getting him behind the wheel of a hobby stock race car. He drove in a six-lap race Saturday, the Register reported.

>> See the family's Facebook post about the event here

If you'd like to send Caleb a sticker, you can mail it to 314 N. J St., Oskaloosa, IA 52577. You can also donate to his family's GoFundMe campaign here.

Read more here.

ICE says man detained while driving pregnant wife to hospital is wanted on homicide charge

Update 1:18 a.m. EDT Aug. 19: Immigration and Customs Enforcement officials say a man who was detained while taking his pregnant wife to the hospital to deliver their child is wanted on suspicion of homicide.

According to KCBS, ICE said Saturday that Joel Arrona-Lara, of Mexico, was taken into custody “on an outstanding homicide warrant.”  

His wife, Maria del Carmen Venegas, told the station that he was detained in San Bernardino, California, while driving her to the hospital for a planned Cesarean section. She said she then drove herself to the hospital.

Arrona-Lara’s attorney, Emilio Amaya Garcia, claimed that the Mexican consulate does not have any information to support ICE’s statement about the homicide charge, KCBS reported. Detention records say Arrona-Lara was detained because he was in the U.S. without documentation, Garcia said.

A Friday statement from ICE about Arrona-Lara’s arrest did not mention the homicide claim, KCBS reported.

Read more here.

Original story: A woman in San Bernardino, California, told CBSLA agents from Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) detained her husband as they drove to the hospital to deliver their child.

>> Read more trending news

Maria del Carmen Venegas said that her husband, Joel Arrona-Lara, was driving her to the hospital for a planned Cesarean section Wednesday when ICE agents surrounded their car at a gas station.

Venegas, a mother of five, told CBSLA she showed officers her identification, but her husband did not have his ID with him.

She said they lived nearby and offered to drive back to the house to get his ID, but officers placed Arrona-Lara into custody, leaving Venegas alone at the gas station, images from the store’s surveillance video showed.

She said she drove herself to the hospital to deliver their child.

“My husband needs to be here,” Venegas said. “He had to wait for his son for so long, and someone just took him away.”

Venegas told CBSLA that her husband has never been in trouble with the law, and they are currently working on finding an attorney to help secure his release.

ICE confirmed to the local Univision and Telemundo stations that Arrona-Lara is in custody.

“Mr. Arrona-Lara is currently in the custody of ICE pending deportation procedures before the Executive Office of Immigration Review,” a spokesperson said. “All those who violate immigration laws would be subject to an immigration arrest and, if a final order determines their removal, be deported from the United States.”

Sex offender took upskirt videos of stranded motorist, had child porn in car, police say

A Washington state sex offender who previously spent time in prison for possessing child pornography is suspected of taking upskirt videos of an unsuspecting motorist he was assisting, as well as voyeuristic videos of unsuspecting women giving massages, court documents show.

>> Watch the news report here

Nickolas Jay Shreck, 40, is charged in King County Superior Court with first-degree voyeurism and possession of child pornography.

Shreck was released from prison April 29, 2017, and was required to periodically check in with the Department of Corrections. During a June 6 visit in Seattle, 2.4 grams of meth was found in his vehicle’s glove box, police said. Court documents show Shreck later failed a mandatory drug test.

During the search of Shreck’s vehicle, officers said they found multiple cameras and cellphones. A search uncovered graphic images of child pornography, including sex acts, court documents show.

>> Read more trending news 

On one device, a Seattle police detective described finding tens of thousands of images and videos containing child sexual exploitation material.

The detective also found multiple voyeuristic videos that appeared to be produced by Shreck around unsuspecting Asian females – including one where he was assisting a woman with jumper cables, police said.

Other videos depict Shreck manipulating a camera to record women at massage parlors, police said.

These 3 eye conditions could be predictors of Alzheimer's, study says

Mental confusion, sleeplessness and mood swings have all been linked to Alzheimer’s disease but the health of your eyes could also be a predictor, according to a new report

>> Read more trending news 

Researchers from the University of Washington School of Medicine recently conducted a study, published in the journal Alzheimer’s & Dementia, to explore eye conditions that may be associated with the brain illness.

To do so, they examined 3,877 adults aged 65 and older who were a part of the Adult Changes in Thought database. During the five-year trial, which began in 1994, about 800 of the subjects were diagnosed with Alzheimer’s. 

When the University of Washington researchers took a closer look, they found patients with macular degeneration, diabetic retinopathy, or glaucoma were 40 to 50 percent more likely to develop Alzheimer’s, compared to those without these eye conditions. There did not find a connection between cataract and Alzheimer’s.

“What we found was not subtle,” coauthor Paul Crane said in a statement. “This study solidifies that there are mechanistic things we can learn from the brain by looking at the eye.”

While the analyst do not know why there is a relationship between the three eye illnesses and the memory loss disease, they wrote, “anything happening in the eye may relate to what’s happening in the brain, an extension of the central nervous system.”

A better understanding of neurodegeneration in the eye and the brain could help diagnose Alzheimer’s early, but they said the connections need to be investigated more. 

“We don’t mean people with these eye conditions will get Alzheimer’s disease,” lead researcher Cecilia Lee added. “The main message from this study is that ophthalmologists should be more aware of the risks of developing dementia for people with these eye conditions and primary care doctors seeing patients with these eye conditions might be more careful on checking on possible dementia or memory loss.”

Man freed by Innocence Project now faces child sex assault charges

A man recently granted a new trial after serving 27 years in prison on a rape conviction was arrested Thursday on new charges that he sexually assaulted a 6-year-old girl known to the victim’s family in McKees Rocks.

The assault allegedly happened the same night John Kunco was released from jail, according to the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. 

>> Read more trending news 

According to the criminal complaint, the girl, referred to as Jane Doe, told police

she awoke to Kunco assaulting her. When she asked him to stop he didn't, according to the complaint. 

Kunco was found guilty of rape and other charges for a 1990 attack on a woman in her New Kensington home. He was sentenced to serve 45 to 90 years in prison.

The Innocence Project took on his case. New DNA evidence convinced a judge to grant Kunco another trial. He was released from jail in May. 

He is now being held without bail in the Allegheny County Jail on numerous counts of crimes against a child and is awaiting a preliminary hearing later this month, according to investigators.

A team of attorneys from the Innocence Project said Kunco voluntarily turned himself into police and denies the recent allegations. 

Karen Thompson, senior attorney with the Innocence Project, released the following statement:"Mr. Kunco denies these allegations and has, and will continue to, fully cooperate with the police. These allegations have absolutely no relation to Mr. Kunco’s 1991 conviction that was recently vacated based on DNA and other evidence proving his innocence."

Massachusetts beach closed to swimming indefinitely after shark activity

Truro Police announced on Friday night Long Nook Beach will remain closed to swimming until further notice due to continued shark activity.

Recent shark sightings and even a shark attack on a man have prompted many beaches along the Cape to be on high alert.

>> Read more trending news 

Shark sightings have become commonplace along Cape Cod since the beginning of summer, but recent sightings have some experts on edge.

On Wednesday, a shark bit a 61-year-old New York man on the torso and leg just 30 yards away from the shore. He is currently being treated at Tufts Medical Center and is expected to survive.

After the attack, more sharks were spotted along the Cape, prompting temporary closures to other beaches.

According to the Cape Cod National Seashore, a shark was seen in the waters off Race Point Beach in Provincetown Thursday afternoon. Video shows the shark feeding on a seal near the shore.

Meadow Beach in Truro was closed earlier in the day when several sharks were spotted in the water.

Despite the public's primal fear of sharks, the odds of being killed by one are roughly 1 in 3.7 million, according to the National Aquarium in Baltimore.Truro was the site of the last shark attack in Massachusetts, in July 2012, when a Colorado man on nearby Ballston Beach suffered a bite that required 47 stitches. The state's last shark attack fatality was in 1936.

Youths take school bus on joy ride, police say

Police are searching for at least three youths who stole a school bus Saturday and took it on a joy ride before abandoning it in a field, officials said. 

>> Read more trending news 

A group of kids, whose ages have not been released, were seen at 12:30 p.m. driving the East Baton Rouge school bus, The Advocate reported

Police later found the bus in a field. Investigators are also trying to determine how they gained access to it.

Tent collapse injures 14 fans at Backstreet Boys concert

Fans were injured when a storm caused a structure to collapse at a Backstreet Boys concert Saturday at the Winstar World Casino and Resort, officials said

>> Read more trending news 

A storm with nearly 80 mph winds knocked over trusses at the venue entrance injuring 14 fans inside the outdoor coliseum to see Backstreet Boys and 98 Degrees, the resort said. They were treated at the scene and taken to hospitals. 

“We know that fans often suffer through inclement weather for their favorite acts, but this was an unusual event and our thoughts are with those who were injured during this storm,” resort officials said in a statement.

“Severe weather, high winds and rain just passed (through) here,” Backstreet Boys member Kevin Richardson tweeted. “Emergency crews are on the (scene) as tent (collapsed) and some folks who were seeking shelter were injured. Waiting to determine damage to our stage and production.”

The resort said the show will go on, rain or shine. 

But ultimately, the show was canceled. 

Shooting survivor forced to sell business after robbery, family says

Vipin Sharma visited his Arlington Expressway BP service station on Friday for the first time since he was shot in an armed robbery in July. 

“Awesome," Sharma said. "I never thought I would be able to make it.”

He told Action News Jax the bullet is lodged in his pelvis and he has a blood clot in his leg.

>> Read more trending news 

“I have no insurance. I don’t know how God is going to help me,” Sharma said.

His wife, Jayshree Sharma, says the medical debt is too much to carry, and running the store on her own isn’t possible. She suffers from breast cancer.

“I don’t think we can operate it, so we have to close the business down," she said.

Jayshree Sharma said they have to sell the business in the near future to stay afloat. The couple laments having to part ways with the store they worked at every day for three and a half years.

When working, Vipin Sharma was known for wandering outside of the bulletproof glass to meet his customers. Alleged shooter Sherwin Birt took advantage of that and appeared to approach Sharma from the opening.

“I tried my best to give my customers the best service I can, friendliest service I can," he said. "And the end result is, I got shot.”

Nonetheless, he says he wouldn't treat his customers any differently if he could do it over again.

“I would not change my approach, meeting people, greeting people, and if I treat them badly, then I’m treating my god badly,” Vipin Sharma said.

He credits God -- and the staff at Memorial Hospital -- for being able to walk.

200 items
Results 11 - 20 of 200 < previous next >