Now Playing
Y100 FM
On Air
No Program
Now Playing
Y100 FM

200 items
Results 11 - 20 of 200 < previous next >

Lemon-glazed Krispy Kreme doughnuts available for one week only

Krispy Kreme is offering its signature doughnuts with lemon glaze, but only for a week.

Participating shops of the doughnut chain are offering the flavor from April 23 to April 29. The glaze was one of four options customers could vote for. The others, Food and Wine reported, were caramel, maple and blueberry.

>> Read more trending news 

According to a news release, the #VoteForGlaze campaign pulled in nearly 2 million votes. Maple had 18 percent of the vote, while blueberry had 20 percent and caramel was second with had 26 percent.

Depending on the success of the limited run, Krispy Kreme could sell the lemon-glazed doughnuts seasonally, Food and Wine reported.

“Experimenting with the many flavor profiles lemon presents to create an all-new lemon glaze was a fun, but serious culinary challenge,” Jackie Woodward, Krispy Kreme’s chief marketing officer, said in a statement. “There has been so much anticipation and zest for the new Lemon Glaze Doughnut, we can’t wait to share the joy with our fans!”

Customers can find out if the Lemon Glaze Doughnut is available at a Krispy Kreme near them at KrispyKreme.com.

Related video: Doughnuts – Fast Facts

Man frustrated by lack of help at Walmart takes matters, PA system into his own hands

As anyone who frequents Walmart knows, it can be frustrating when you need help and can’t find anyone wearing a Walmart associate’s blue vest.

One Kentucky man had enough of not being helped in the sporting goods department so took matters into this own hands, WKYT reported. He picked up the store’s public address system and announced over the intercom, “Customer needs assistance in sporting goods, please. I’m the customer.”

>> Read more trending news 

His message was caught on video, and quickly went viral, as other Walmart shoppers commiserated about their shopping pains.

Forrest Hunter, the reported name of the man who asked for help, said that a worker came up to him shortly after he made his announcement. 

“A guy walked up and asked if I needed any help. I said, ‘How’d you know?’ Then I bought my hunting license,” he told WKYT.

The six-second video has been viewed more than 2.7 million times and shared 50,000 times.

Deputy shot, killed in Maine; suspect at large

Authorities are searching for a man believed to have shot and killed a sheriff's deputy in Maine early Wednesday.

>> Read more trending news

FDA launches crackdown on Juul e-cigarettes, vaping retailers

The Food and Drug Administration is cracking down on the vaping industry, particularly on the devices being marketed towards teenagers.

The federal agency launched an undercover sting operation this month targeting retailers of Juul devices. It included gas stations, convenience stores and online retailers -- accusing them of selling products to minors.

The FDA says that electronic cigarettes have become widely popular with kids.

So far, the agency has issued warning letters to 40 retailers it says violated the law preventing sales of vaping devices to anyone under 21.

>> Read more trending news 

The agency also demanded that Juul Labs turn over company documents about the marketing and research behind its products.

MORE: Doctor warns parents of dangers of Juul e-cigarettes

Those documents include reports on focus groups and toxicology, to determine whether Juul Labs is intentionally appealing to a particular market.

Nicknamed the iPhone of e-cigarettes, Juul devices resemble thumb drives and produce a small plume and smell like fruit or other flavorings.

Some say the smell is so concealable, students can even vape in class without it being noticed.

In a statement, Juul Labs said it agreed with the FDA, saying illegal sales of the company's product to minors is unacceptable.

The company says it is working with the FDA, lawmakers and parents to combat underage vaping.

Meanwhile, the FDA says it plans to issue similar letters to other manufacturers of popular vaping products.

MORE: Growing concern about 'Juuling' among teens in local schools

‘Safety alert’ Facebook post an example of good intentions gone awry

In the age of social media alerts, viral Facebook posts and public shaming, something occurred in our own backyards last week that can serve as an example to everyone: What you see on social media rarely tells the entire story. Take it with a grain of salt.

I first saw this Facebook post Thursday afternoon in a group for Wellington moms.

“SAFETY ALERT!!!” it began. “Ladies, my husband just had a panicked woman with a small child walk into his RPB (Royal Palm Beach) restaurant to tell him the man who walked in behind her followed her from the Buy Buy Baby parking lot. He was watching her and didn’t order anything for a while until he noticed people watching him. He continued to order a (to-go order) and then sat one table away from the woman. The police were called and asked the man to leave. They told my husband that there have been several attempted child abductions in the area of Wellington and Lake Worth lately. They are targeting women who are by themselves with their kids and then kidnapping their children! Please, please be vigilant especially when you are by yourself! If you feel uneasy, it’s probably for a reason! Make a scene and ask for forgiveness later bc it’s better to be safe than sorry!! Stay safe everyone!!”

I’m not a mom yet but I am a mom-to-be, and this had me shaken. Not just as a woman but as a woman who has been assaulted, I felt for this mother concerned for her child in a place where we should be safe: a local restaurant.

My first instinct as a reporter was to reach out to the woman who made the post. She replied politely and said her husband would be in touch with me soon. She also confirmed the restaurant: Bolay.

Then I contacted the Palm Beach County Sheriff’s Office to ask about the post’s claim of an increase in kidnapping attempts in our area. The response surprised me.

>> Read more trending news 

The PBSO districts that include Royal Palm Beach and unincorporated Wellington and Lake Worth did not report increased kidnapping attempts or reports of suspicious people, a spokeswoman said.

I paused. Should I continue pursuing the story? I decided to wait until I heard from the restaurant’s manager.

Meanwhile, the post had been shared thousands of times. Hundreds of people reacted. And in that time, Brian Pollack saw the post.

Pollack, 33, grew up in Wellington and recently moved to Loxahatchee. He has been married for 10 years and has two sons aged 8 and 6. He has coached baseball at the Willows in Royal Palm Beach for six years, and he’s a captain with Delray Beach Fire Rescue.

He also happens to be the man referred to in the post.

“When I read the post I thought, let me just head this off,” Pollack said. “I mean, what are the odds that this is the same situation?”

So he took to Facebook himself, typing out his side of what happened last Thursday at the Royal Palm Beach Bolay.

Pollack drove to the restaurant down State Road 7 from his unit at CubeSmart Self Storage on Belvedere Road, around the corner from the Buy Buy Baby plaza. He went to Bolay to get lunch for himself and dinner for his wife and sons. It was his first time ordering there. When he arrived, he said he sat inside for awhile before placing his to-go order because his wife had not yet replied with her order. After the food was ready, he ate his meal before leaving to pick up his sons from school.

As he left the restaurant, Pollack said he was stopped by two PBSO deputies who pulled him aside and asked him what was going on. The deputies did not ask Pollack for identification and did not take down his name, Pollack said. He explained he was picking up dinner.

“They did it properly,” he told me. “They pulled me to the side and said, ‘What happened?’ They raised no concern of me doing anything.”

The deputies did not file a report on the incident. According to dispatch logs, a woman in a gray tank top with a child told the Bolay manager that a man with a green T-shirt and black shorts was following her. When deputies arrived, they talked with the man — Pollack, whose name is not mentioned in the log. The “event comment” says the subject come to Bolay to eat and never made contact with the woman at any time.

Pollack said in writing his responses to the many Facebook posts, he thought about one thing: What would happen if someone had taken a photo of him and sent it to his chief at Delray Fire Rescue?

“I told some of my friends about it and they said, ‘That was you? Oh my God, we were talking about that for a few days,’” Pollack said.

He’s not upset with the woman who was concerned and reported him to Bolay employees. As a first responder, Pollack said he understands what she did in reaching out for help, and he’s glad she did so.

“I can’t fault the woman who feels scared,” he said. “I’m a father of two. But I can fault the person who’s spreading erroneous information.”

I once again contacted the woman who originally posted on Facebook. She and her husband declined to comment for this article. I have not been able to find the woman who thought Pollack was following her.

Pollack said he plans to reach out to Bolay to hopefully clear up any confusion. The original post since has been deleted, but copies remain on Facebook.

“This is where these groups are great, because you share this information immediately,” Pollack said. “But what are we sharing, and at what expense?”

Parents say North Carolina teacher played offensive song in class

Parents in Cleveland County said a teacher at Washington Elementary in Shelby forced students to listen to an offensive song last week.

The song "O’Susanna" is well known by most people and no one probably would have paid attention if the teacher played a modern version. But, she played the original version, which is about slavery.

“It was very offensive and uncomfortable,” student Harmony Washington told WSOC.

The 9th grader said she was in the class at Washington Elementary School when the song was played last week.

“I thought it was just coming toward people my color in the room,” she said.

The lyrics in the song mention a racial slur and killing black people.

>> Read more trending news 

Washington and others told their parents and their pastor at Washington Missionary Baptist Church right next door. Pastor Melvin Clark said he was stunned by the lyrics.

Clark said the teacher played the song for multiple classes that day. She warned the students about the language before playing the song but Clark said that is no excuse.

“Why would you even consider this knowing that these words was in this song?” he asked.

Clark heard that the teacher was suspended, but he said that’s not enough. He has a meeting with the superintendent this week and will demand the teacher's termination.

CLICK HERE TO WATCH WSOC’S REPORT (WARNING: OFFENSIVE LANGUAGE)

“There should be nobody wanting a teacher with that mentality teaching in the classroom,” he said.

School board Vice Chairman Richard Hooker said administrators have already taken strong action. He opposes termination but said the teacher may be moved out of this school. He wants sensitivity training for all educators.

“It will be a learning opportunity for us to continue to move beyond,” he said.

Clark said moving the teacher won’t solve the problem, and he and others will keep pushing until she is no longer teaching.

Police: Man saws through front door of home with chainsaw, attacks 2 people

A man armed with a running chainsaw sawed through the back door of a home in Hopewell Township, Pennsylvania, to go after two people, police said.

Eugene Bryant thought the two people were his ex-girlfriend and her current boyfriend, police said.

>> Read more trending news 

Police said Bryant pulled up to the house, got out of his car and started cranking the chainsaw as he walked toward the house. Police said he got through the door, but the man inside wasn't the current boyfriend.

He was just a contractor doing repairs in the home, police said.

After the contractor wrestled the chainsaw away from Bryant, police said, Bryant took off. No one was injured.

Police said Bryant turned himself in a few hours later.

Father reports son after teen admits to 250 car break-ins

A Houston father took a stand against crime and turned in his own son after the 18-year-old admitted that he broke into hundreds of cars and stole guns.

T. Daniels was speaking to his son Christian when the younger Daniels showed him a bag with a 9mm handgun inside, KTRK reported. His son showed him paperwork that allegedly went with the gun, and what was written on it surprised the father.

>> Read more trending news 

“He put the camera closer to the paperwork and it said Houston Police Department. So, that really kind of ticked me off for him to even have a gun, and then you’re going to steal one from a police officer, at that,” Daniels told KTRK.

Christian told his father that he broke into a car and took the bag that contained police gear, according to court documents. The records also said that he told his father that he broke in to 250 other cars over a week, targeting jogging areas, malls and other parking lots, KTRK reported.

Daniels said it felt like it was his duty to report his son to police, who was charged with theft of a firearm and unlawful carrying of a weapon, KTRK reported.

WATCH: Woman pulls gun on would-be robber, saves husband, family says

Police in Memphis, Tennessee, are searching for a man who allegedly attempted a robbery outside a Whitehaven home in broad daylight.

>> Watch the news report here

A surveillance camera captured the weekend incident.

>> Watch the surveillance footage here

One of the victims, who asked not to be identified, told WHBQ that his niece, who was visiting from Florida, took his gun and scared off the bold criminal after she saw that her husband was in trouble.

“She’s bold," he said. "She ain’t scared of nothing.”

In the video, the suspect has his right hand in his waist band as he stands behind the woman's husband. The victims said the man’s hand was on a gun.

Memphis police said Sunday afternoon the man in the blue jacket came to the Whitehaven home and asked to use one of the victims’ phones and then asked for a ride.

>> Read more trending news 

While the incident was unfolding outside the house, the woman and her uncle reportedly were inside the house.

Police said that after the woman saw her husband in trouble, she came out the front door with a gun and fired a warning shot.

The uncle told WHBQ: “She said she didn’t want to kill him, but when he fired back at us after she fired the warning shot, she said she was trying to hit him then but didn’t.”

Memphis police told WHBQ that the suspect ran toward the back of the house before getting away.

Police said they are reviewing this surveillance video to get a positive ID on the suspect. If you have any information on who that suspect may be, call CrimeStoppers at 901-528-CASH.

Read more here.

Group of motorcyclists stop traffic, help stranded woman

A group of motorcyclists are being praised for doing a good deed.

Eduardo Plascenia, Patrick Patterson and Damon Pruit were on a ride Sunday afternoon when they noticed that a woman was stranded in a crosswalk. Traffic wouldn’t stop, or slow down, for her to cross, KNXV reported

>> Read more trending news 

The trio turned around and used their bikes to block traffic, making sure the woman could cross the street safely, before she gave a wave as the riders rode off.

>> Need something to lift your spirits? Read more uplifting news 

“She thanked us adamantly. She waved at us and thanked us. She had stopped shaking and had extended her hand to Eduardo and Damon and I behind her,” Patterson told KNXV.

200 items
Results 11 - 20 of 200 < previous next >