Now Playing
Y100 FM
On Air
No Program
Now Playing
Y100 FM

national govt & politics

200 items
Results 31 - 40 of 200 < previous next >

PHOTOS: Barbara Bush funeral, procession

Family, friends provide loving tributes to Barbara Bush at funeral service

Approximately 1,500 guests attended former first lady Barbara Bush's private funeral ceremony in Houston Saturday.

Barbara Bush, the wife of the nation’s 41st president and mother of the nation’s 43rd, died Tuesday at her Houston home. She was 92.

About 2,500 mourners paid their respect at a public viewing held Friday in Houston, The Associated Press reported.

>> Read more trending news 

The service took place at St. Martin’s Episcopal Church in Houston. Jeb Bush delivered a eulogy for his mother. Longtime friend Susan Baker and historian Jon Meacham also gave remarks during the 90-minute service. Multiple musical selections were performed.

A procession followed, with burial at the Bush Library at Texas A&M University in College Station. Barbara Bush will be buried next to her daughter, Robin, who was 3 years old when she died of leukemia in 1953, The AP reported.

Notable guests included first lady Melania Trump, former President Bill Clinton, former first lady and Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, former President Barack Obama and former first lady Michelle Obama, The AP reported.

Trump rips New York Times reporter, defends Cohen

President Donald Trump came out swinging on Twitter Saturday morning, firing off three tweets attacking The New York Times and reporter Maggie Haberman. A story published Friday in the Times -- written by Haberman, Sharon LaFraniere and Danny Hakim -- suggested that Trump’s personal attorney, Michael Cohen might cooperate with federal authorities, who are investigating him for activities that might relate to the president. Last week, federal agents raided Cohen’s office and home, seizing business records, emails and other materials, the Times reported.

Trump tweeted that Haberman was a “third-rate reporter”and a “crooked H flunkie.”

The president also expressed confidence that Cohen would not “flip” and criticized Haberman for relying on “non-existent ‘sources’ and a drunk/drugged up loser who hates Michael.”

“Sorry, I don’t see Michael doing that despite the horrible Witch Hunt and the dishonest media!” Trump tweeted.

Haberman responded with a tweet that mocked the president for misspelling her name (it has since been corrected) and provided a link to her story, which “seems to have touched a nerve.”

Democrats sue Trump campaign, Russian government, WikiLeaks for alleged election conspiracy

The Democratic National Committee filed a wide-ranging, multimillion-dollar lawsuit Friday against the Russian government, President Donald Trump’s campaign officials and WikiLeaks, alleging the group conspired to meddle in the 2016 presidential election in favor of Donald Trump over Democratic challenger Hillary Clinton.

>> Read more trending news

The 66-page lawsuit, filed in the Southern District of New York, alleges that members of Trump’s inner circle, including his former campaign chairman Paul Manafort and son-in-law Jared Kushner, conspired with Russian government officials and the country’s intelligence service to sway the election for Trump.

>> Read the lawsuit

“During the 2016 presidential campaign, Russia launched an all-out assault on our democracy, and it found a willing and active partner in Donald Trump’s campaign,” DNC Chairman Tom Perez said in a statement released to The Washington Post. “This constituted an act of unprecedented treachery: the campaign of a nominee for President of the United States in league with a hostile foreign power to bolster its own chance to win the presidency.”

The president was not named in the suit, in which Democrats said, "Russia mounted a brazen attack on American Democracy" with a cyberattack on the Democratic National Committee’s servers. 

>> Related: WikiLeaks emails: FBI investigates, Podesta claims he was targeted by Russian hackers

"In 2015 and 2016, Russian intelligence services hacked into the DNC's computers, penetrated its phone systems and exfiltrated tens of thousands of documents and emails," according to the lawsuit. 

"Russia then used this stolen information to advance its own interests: destabilizing the U.S. political environment, denigrating the Democratic presidential nominee and supporting the campaign of Donald J. Trump, whose policies would benefit the Kremlin. In the Trump campaign, Russia found a willing and active partner in this effort."

Democrats said the stolen data was shared with WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange, who released thousands of emails last year that were allegedly taken in a hack of the DNC's servers. The lawsuit alleged Assange shared the emails because he “shared the defendants’ common goal of damaging the Democratic party in advance of the election.”

>> Related: Julian Assange: WikiLeaks source was 'not the Russian government'

Assange said in late 2016 that his source for the DNC emails “was not the Russian government.” The Kremlin has denied any involvement in the hack.

Democrats did not mention in their lawsuit that FBI officials warned the DNC that it was being hacked or that officials at DNC headquarters in Washington ignored the warning for weeks, Cox Media Group’s Jamie Dupree reported.

>> From Jamie Dupree: Democratic Party sues Trump campaign, WikiLeaks, Russia, others over 2016 elections

The suit seeks millions of dollars in damages, as Democrats said the hacks hindered the party’s ability to communicate with voters or effectively operate, according to the Post.

Officials, including special counsel Robert Mueller, continue to investigate whether people who worked on Trump’s 2016 presidential campaign worked with Russian government officials to sway the election. Trump has repeatedly denied collusion allegations. The Kremlin has denied that officials meddled in the election.

Tammy Duckworth makes Senate history, votes with infant daughter in her arms 

Maile Pearl Bowlsbey doesn’t know it, but the 10-day-old infant made history Thursday at the U.S. Senate.

>> Read more trending news

Her mother, Tammy Duckworth, became the first person to cast a vote on the Senate floor with her newborn in her arms, The New York Times reported.

The Democrat from Illinois participated in Thursday’s vote on the confirmation of Republican Rep. James Bridenstine as NASA’s new administrator. Duckworth voted against confirmation, but the Senate approved Bridenstine by a 50-49 vote, CNN reported.

Duckworth, who already made history as the first U.S. senator to give birth, was elated about another groundbreaking day.

"It feels great," Duckworth said. "It is about time, huh?"

>> Tammy Duckworth becomes 1st senator to give birth while in office

Wednesday, the Senate changed a longtime rule to allow newborns on the Senate floor during voting, CNN reported. The vote passed by unanimous consent and allows senators with infants under 1 year old to bring the child onto the Senate field and even breastfeed during the voting, CNN reported.

"I think it's historic, I think it's amazing," Duckworth told reporters.

Duckworth led the charge for the rule change.

Before Thursday’s vote, she tweeted: "May have to vote today. Maile's outfit is prepped. Made sure she has a jacket so she doesn't violate the Senate floor dress code requiring blazers. Not sure what the policy is on duckling onesies but I think we're ready."

The tweet referenced Capitol Hill's previous rule, which required women -- reporters and lawmakers -- to wear dresses and blouses with sleeves, CNN reported.

The infant brought a more gentle atmosphere to the Senate.

“She’s so beautiful,” New York Democrat Chuck Schumer said. 

When reporters responded with an “awwww,” Schumer cracked that “The press is finally interested in something worthwhile,” the Times reported.

Former first lady Barbara Bush in failing health

Former first lady Barbara Bush is in failing health, the office of former President George H.W. Bush confirmed Sunday.

Bush, 92, has made several visits to the hospital in the past year while battling Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease and congestive heart failure, the family said.

A family spokesman said Bush will not receive more medical treatment and will focus on "comfort care."

>> Photos: Barbara Bush through the years

>> Read more trending news

What is a Tomahawk cruise missile and what does it do?

Tomahawk missiles are highly accurate weapons. The modern version was first used by the United States in the 1991 Gulf War.

>> Read more trending news

Here’s what you need to know about Tomahawk missiles:

What are they?

Tomahawk missiles are subsonic, jet engine-powered missiles. They fly low, about 100 feet off the ground.

Where are they launched from?

Tomahawks can be launched from many surfaces, but the U.S. generally uses ships or submarines to launch the missiles. 

How much do they cost?

Each missile cost $1.41 million.

Who makes them?

Raytheon Systems Company makes the Tomahawk Block IV.

How fast can they fly?

The missiles travel at 550 miles per hour.

How big are they?

The Tomahawk is a 20-foot-long missile, and weighs 2,900 pounds. It has a wingspan of eight feet,  nine inches. It carries a 1,000-pound-class warhead.

How accurate are they?

According to the Navy, they hit their target about 85 percent of the time. How do they find their target?

The missile uses a system called "Terrain Contour Matching." An altimeter along with an inertia detector direct the Tomahawk along a flight path against a pre-loaded map of the terrain. They are unlike drones as they are not guided by pilots on the ground. According to Raytheon, “The latest variant (Tomahawk Block IV) includes a two-way satellite data-link that enables the missile to be retargeted in flight to preprogrammed, alternate targets. The Block IV design was initiated as both a cost savings and a capability improvement effort.”

Is the United States the only country with cruise missiles?

No. More than 70 nations have cruise missiles.

Sources: The U.S. Navy; Popular Science; Raytheon

Trump pardons former Dick Cheney aide Scooter Libby

President Donald Trump on Friday pardoned Scooter Libby, who served as chief of staff for former Vice President Dick Cheney.

>> READ MORE: Trump pardons Scooter Libby: Who is he and what did he do | MORE

First hearing set for Trump attorney Michael Cohen after raid

Lawyers for President Donald Trump and his personal attorney, Michael Cohen, appeared in court Friday morning for the first hearing following a recent FBI raid on Cohen’s home and office.

>> READ MORE: Trump allies fear investigators seized Cohen recordings in raid: reportsFBI sought records related to Trump 'Access Hollywood' tape in Cohen raid: reportsFBI raids office of Donald Trump’s longtime attorney Michael CohenWho is Michael Cohen, personal attorney to Donald Trump?MORE

Trump allies fear investigators seized Cohen recordings in raid: reports

President Donald Trump’s longtime personal attorney, Michael Cohen, would sometimes tape conversations he had with associates, leaving some worried that investigators might have seized the recordings during a raid earlier this week on his hotel and office, according to multiple reports.

>> Read more trending news

Cohen kept the recordings as digital files that he would replay for colleagues, The Washington Post reported, citing unidentified sources. The newspaper earlier reported that the attorney’s computers and phones were among the items seized in the raid, which was made public Monday.

>> Related: Trump attorney Michael Cohen to appear in court after raid

Two unidentified former Trump campaign officials told CNN that Cohen was known to have been taping conversations he had with people in his Trump Tower Office.

"It's one of the first things people entering Trump world would be told: Don't have conversations in his office,” a former campaign official told CNN. “He's recording it.”

In some recorded conversations, Cohen and others discussed the campaign and the media, CNN reported. It was not immediately clear whether Cohen recorded his conversations with Trump.

>> Related: FBI sought records related to Trump 'Access Hollywood' tape in Cohen raid: reports

“Now we are wondering, who did he tape?” an unidentified Trump adviser told the Post. “Did he store those someplace where they were actually seized? … Did they find his recordings?”

If authorities did seize the recordings, they would not immediately have access to them, the Post reported. Legal experts told the newspaper that they would first be reviewed by a Justice Department team and that they might face the scrutiny of a federal judge before investigators are able to review them. The checks are intended to protect lawyer-client privilege, according to the Post.

>> Related: National Enquirer paid Trump doorman $30K to spike unproven 'illegitimate child' rumor: AP report

Investigators seized Cohen’s computer, his phone and several records while conducting search warrants earlier this week, according to The Washington Post.

Authorities sought details on Cohen’s efforts to stave off negative publicity about Trump during a raid on his home and office earlier this week, CBS News and The New York Times reported. Among other things, authorities sought information on the release of an infamous tape in which the president could be heard on a hot mic making derogatory comments about women and payments Cohen made to a pair of women who claim they had sexual relationships with Trump, The New York Times reported.

>> Related: Trump tweets 'attorney-client privilege is dead' after FBI raid on Michael Cohen's office

Adult film star Stormy Daniels said she had a sexual encounter with Trump in 2006. Karen McDougal, a former Playboy Playmate, claimed she had a nearly year-long affair with the president in 2006 and 2007.

Officials also sought details on the role that the publisher of The National Enquirer played in keeping the women’s stories from going public, according to The Times.

200 items
Results 31 - 40 of 200 < previous next >