Now Playing
Y100 FM
On Air
No Program
Now Playing
Y100 FM

news

200 items
Results 31 - 40 of 200 < previous next >

Video shows woman in Tennessee forced into back of car; police investigating possible abduction

Police are investigating after video shows a woman possibly being abducted in Memphis, Tennessee. 

>> Read more trending news

According to the Memphis Police Department, officers responded to a complaint around 8 p.m. Wednesday in the 4100 block of Delp Street about a woman possibly being abducted. 

The person who called police told officers he saw a man and woman in a “physical altercation” in Oakhaven.

During the fight, the witness said the man forced the woman into the back seat of a light-colored sedan and drove away. 

Police said the car was last seen heading south toward Shelby Drive. 

Officers searched the area and didn’t locate anyone or the vehicle involved. 

Investigators located the video surveillance that captured the incident. However, they have not been able to identify the people shown in the video. 

Police described the man as 5-foot-9 and thin built, wearing dark pants and a light-colored shirt. 

Anyone with information regarding this incident is asked to call Crime Stoppers at 528-CASH. 

Doctors remove contact lens unknowingly stuck in woman’s eyelid for 28 years

Dealing with contact lenses can be a chore. They can be difficult to insert and can even get lost in your eyelid, according to a new report

>> Read more trending news

Researchers from the United Kingdom recently published an article in the British Medical Journal that revealed how a contact lens became lodged in a woman’s eye for 28 years. 

A 42-year-old British woman made an appointment with a doctor after her left eyelid became swollen and droopy. There was also a bump on her eyelid, which she said she had noticed six months for earlier. 

Once health experts examined her, they discovered that a “well-defined” cyst had grown, according to the authors. During the operation to remove it, they found a rigid contact lens, which is different from a soft or hard contact. 

The woman initially could not recall how the lens had gotten stuck in her eyelid, but her mother remembered that she had been hit in the eye while wearing contact lenses during a game of badminton at age 14. The family assumed the contact lens had popped out and was lost. She never wore rigid contacts after that incident.

The doctors are unsure why it took nearly three decades for the contact lens to create a problem. The woman had not previously reported any redness, pain or swelling, which are usual symptoms of a trapped lens. She did say, that her eyelid had been droopy for some time.

This isn’t the first occurrence of a lost contact lens. In an article, also published in the British Medical Journal, doctors said they were preparing a 67-year-old woman for surgery when they found 27 contact lenses in the patient's eye, The lenses were clumped together in a “blueish mass” and “bound together by mucus.”

Contact lens issues at any age can include infections and eye abrasions and even blindness. To prevent injury, doctors advise patients to keep lenses clean with a proper solution and to never wear your lenses longer than prescribed. 

Rescue says Bruno the cat is 'too cool to be homeless'

An Illinois animal rescue group is hoping to find a home for one cool, chubby cat.

>> Read more trending news 

Bruno is a 7-year-old grey polydactyl who is big, both in size and personality, according to a Facebook post Wednesday by Wright Way Rescue. He weighs 25 pounds, but is on a diet.

Bruno is very chatty, according to his rescuers. The rescue group says Bruno has some quirks. He likes to be petted while he eats. He also has an unusual way of standing, on his hind legs, when he wants food. The rescue says it did not train him to do this.

The rescue posted photos on Facebook of Bruno striking a cool pose, writing that he’s “too cool to be homeless.”

Bruno is a laid-back cat for the most part, the rescue said, but there's one thing he doesn't like: having his big belly touched.

2 inmates use drain pipe to escape jail, officials say

Two inmates used a drain pipe to escape late Wednesday from the Troup County Jail, the sheriff’s office said.

>> Read more trending news 

Security camera images showed Thomas Christopher Cuddington and Eric Calvin Bell, both 28, “climbing down from a drain pipe” at the front of the Sheriff’s Office about 10:59 p.m., sheriff’s spokesman Sgt. Stewart Smith said Thursday in a statement.

The inmates ran up Sam Walker Drive toward Hamilton Road in LaGrange and have been at large since, according to Smith.

61-year-old man bitten by shark off Cape Cod

A 61-year-old man was bitten by a shark Wednesday off Long Nook Beach in Truro.

>> Read more trending news 

A Medflight was called in to take the victim to the hospital with "deep puncture wounds" to the hip and torso area, and he was rushed to Tufts Medical Center. His name and condition have not been released.

Robert Weinstein, the chairman of the board of selectmen for the town of Truro, told WFXT the victim was responsive when first responders arrived. Witnesses also recall hearing the man screaming for help about 30 yards offshore.

Several beachgoers helped the man to shore before more people joined in to wrap towels around the man's puncture wounds along his torso and leg.

Officials said someone had to rush to a nearby home to make the 911 call from a landline because cellphone service is so poor in the area.

“I went above my knees, my friend came in and dragged him, he was yelling, 'Get me out the water, shark, shark!'" said Thomas Buckett, of Smithfield, Rhode Island.

The victim was rushed to a helipad in Wellfleet, where the Medflight took him to Tufts Medical Center in Boston.

Witnesses said the man was in a panic, but remained conscious and was talking as he was taken by ambulance to the helipad.

“It seems to be getting worse, you hear about it every year but it’s crazy it happened while we were here," said Daniel Coco, of Buffalo, New York.

The harbormaster told WFXT that Long Nook Beach does not have lifeguards and only beaches with lifeguards are closed for shark sightings and attacks. 

However, the town's website lists Long Nook Beach as closed to swimming until further notice due to the incident.

The incident reportedly happened "way offshore."

Following the attack, officials posted warnings and closed the beach to swimmers. However, despite the alerts, several people still ventured into the water before nighttime.

Witnesses told WFXT they saw a number of seals roaming the area right near the spot where the attack happened.

The last person to be injured by a shark on the Cape was also bitten in Truro in July 2012.

The Atlantic White Shark Conservancy issued a statement regarding today's attack:

“We offer wishes for a full recovery to the victim of today’s shark bite and convey our sincere sympathy to him and his family. Encounters with white sharks in which people suffer injuries are as terrifying as they are rare. While we still don't know all of the details of this particular bite, sharks are not known to target people specifically and when they do bite people it’s usually a case of mistaken identity. Sharks ‘test the waters’ with their teeth, much like we use our hands. It’s how they determine if what they encounter is prey or something to avoid. Here at the Atlantic White Shark Conservancy, we are committed to making beaches safer by studying shark behavior and sharing what we learn with the public and town officials to help reduce the probability of these kinds of interactions."

Truro police are handling the investigation. 

Colorado man who pleaded for return of missing wife, daughters arrested in deaths

A Colorado man who for days pleaded publicly for the return of his pregnant wife and two young daughters has been arrested and charged with killing them, police said. 

Christopher Lee Watts, 33, of Frederick, was arrested just after 11 p.m. Wednesday night in connection with the slayings of his wife, Shanann Watts, and their two daughters, Bella, 4, and Celeste, 3. Shanann Watts, 34, was about 15 weeks pregnant.

Bella Watts was days away from starting kindergarten. 

John Camper, director of the Colorado Bureau of Investigation, said during a media briefing Thursday afternoon that investigators were “quite certain” the body of Shanann Watts has been recovered.

“We have strong reason to believe we know where the bodies of the children are, and recovery efforts are in process on that,” Camper said

“This is absolutely the worst possible outcome that any of us could imagine. I think our hearts are broken for the town of Fredrick as much as anybody’s.”

Chris Watts is being held in the Weld County Jail pending formal charges, Weld County District Attorney Michael Rourke said during the briefing. 9News in Denver reported earlier Thursday that Chris Watts faces three counts of first-degree murder and three counts of tampering with physical evidence.

>> Related story: Report: Man with NC ties confesses to killing wife, 2 daughters in Colorado

Fredrick police officials said they received a call just before 2 p.m. Monday reporting Shanann, Bella and Celeste Watts missing. The report was made by a friend who went to the family’s home in the Wyndham Hill subdivision and found no sign of Shanann or the girls. 

Chris Watts said in an interview Tuesday with 9News that he saw the woman at the front door, via the home’s doorbell camera, and realized his family was missing. 

“I said, ‘Hey, what’s going on?’ And she said, ‘I can’t get ahold of Shanann,’” Watts said. “That’s when I was just, like, ‘Okay, something’s not right.’”

He said he, too, had been unable to reach his wife via phone or text message.

See Chris Watts’ entire interview with 9News below.

Shanann Watts’ vehicle, as well as her purse and medication for the children, were all still at the house, authorities said. Police on Tuesday upgraded the missing persons report to an “Endangered Missing Alert” because of the potential medical concerns with the children.  

Investigators conducted multiple interviews and officers canvassed the family’s neighborhood for witnesses and clues. News of the missing mother and daughters soon went national, and Watts did his interview with 9News on Tuesday, in which he described his family’s disappearance as “earth-shattering.” 

“I don’t feel like this is even real right now. It’s like a nightmare that I just can’t wake up from,” Watts told a reporter.

Watts spoke in loving terms of his daughters. 

“Celeste, she’s just a bottle of energy,” he said. “I call her ‘Rampage’ because she's got two speeds: go, or she’s sleeping. She’s always the troublemaker, she’s always the one, like, jumping off things. Bella, she’s the more calm, cautious, mothering type, and she’s more like me -- she’s more calm. Celeste has definitely got her mom’s personality, where she’s all gung-ho, ready to go.”

The young father also addressed those who might think he had a hand in his family’s disappearance.

“Everybody’s going to have their own opinion on anything like this,” Watts said. “I just want people to know that I want my family back. I want them safe and I want them here. This house is not the same.”

Less than 24 hours later, Watts was in custody. A law enforcement source told 9News that Watts confessed to killing his wife and children. 

No motive has been established, though The Denver Post reported the couple had serious financial problems over the years. They filed for Chapter 7 bankruptcy protection in July 2015, citing liabilities of more than $400,000. 

The Wyndham Hill Master Association filed a civil claim against the couple last month, but details of that claim were not immediately available, according to the Post

>> Read more trending news

Shanann Watts wrote on social media about the trips and vacations she had earned for her family through Le-Vel, a health and wellness company that sells nutritional products. The Post reported that Watts’ position with the company appeared to have rejuvenated the family’s finances. 

“We have qualified for so many amazing trips in two years that we never otherwise would have been able to visit,” she wrote about trips to New Orleans, Las Vegas, San Diego, Toronto, Mexico and the Dominican Republic. 

Chris Watts worked for Anadarko Petroleum Co., according to bankruptcy records. 

Le-Vel officials wrote on Facebook Thursday morning that their hearts were broken for Shanann Watts and her daughters. 

“Shanann was an amazing woman, mother, friend, and overall person,” the statement read. “She lit up every room and was a joy to be around. Our love, prayers, and support go out during this devastating time to her family, friends, and to all Thrivers who had the great fortune of knowing Shanann and her two beautiful daughters.”

Shanann Watts’ brother, Frankie Rzucek, wrote that he just wants to know why his sister and nieces died. 

“My precious family, my one and only sibling, my sister Shanann, two adorable nieces, Bella and Celeste, and her soon-to-be-found-out unborn son, Niko,” Rzucek wrote. “I just want 30 seconds alone with that heartless psychopath. May Satan have mercy on his soul.”

Some of the more poignant social media posts come from the Facebook page of Shanann Watts herself. In a post that included a photo of one of her girls playing at the beach, the young mother wrote of her fears of letting her daughter out into the world. 

“The world is a scary place,” Shanann Watts wrote on Aug. 4, just over a week before their disappearances. “I will do everything in my power to teach her right and to protect her, advocate, stand up for her and defend her. I pray every day that she never feels any less than the rest of the world. I pray that she’s protected when I’m not around to protect her. 

“Nothing or no one will stop me.”

Synthetic marijuana, aka K2, linked to nearly 100 overdoses within 48 hours 

Nearly 100 people have overdosed on drugs within the last 48 hours in New Haven, Connecticut, the city’s police chief told WTNH.

>> Read more trending news 

There were 76 reported overdoses on Wednesday and at least 19 more on Thursday, authorities said. On Wednesday, first responders were treating to up to six overdoses at one time, CBS reported.

While toxicology reports are pending, officials said most of the overdoses appeared to have been caused by a potent dose of K2, which is considered synthetic marijuana, a plant material sprayed with drugs and chemicals. 

Some victims also tested positive for the powerful opioid, fentanyl.

The synthetic marijuana may have been laced with fentanyl, officials told WTNH.

Many of the overdoses occurred at the park, New Haven Green.

K2 and fentanyl have been linked to the rising nunmber of overdoses across the country, Katheryn Hawk, an emergency medicine physician and professor at Yale-New Haven Hospital, told CBS.

“The most important point is: When you buy something on the street, you never know what you're going to get,” Hawk said.

Hawk said that while some people recovered from the overdose with the help of naloxone, an opioid reversal drug, others did not.

Three people have been arrested in connection with the overdoses, including a man who may have been giving out free samples of K2, CBS reported.

Connecticut Gov. Dannel P. Malloy said in a release that state health officials are providing additional help to New Haven, and that 50 doses of naloxone have been provided to the city to help restock its supply.

“Today's emergency is deeply troubling and illustrative of the very real and serious threat that illicit street drugs pose to health of individuals,” Malloy said.

Dr. Sten Vermund, dean of the Yale School of Public Health, told the New Haven Register that references to K2 as synthetic marijuana can be misleading.

Vermund called “K2” a “big potpourri” of potentially lethal drugs with dangerous side effects. 

“There’s so much garbage that’s being sold and you can call it whatever you want to call it. Even the drug dealers don’t know,” Vermund said.

Jaguar Land Rover Classic selects Georgia for first U.S. facility 

European luxury car manufacturer Jaguar will build a new facility in Savannah, creating 75 new jobs.

>> Read more trending news 

The Chatham County facility will cater to owners of classic Jaguar and Land Rovers, and other auto enthusiasts. Construction is scheduled to begin in the fall of 2019.

Announcing the deal Wednesday morning, Gov. Nathan Deal said the facility adds to the state’s growing automotive sector.

“Georgia’s business-friendly climate and world-class logistics infrastructure continue to attract industry leaders like Jaguar Land Rover Classic,” Deal said in a statement.

The facility will have a 42-bay workshop to service and repair classic Jaguar and Land Rover vehicles.

Jaguar Land Rover Classic Director Tim Hannig said excellent transportation links to the port of Savannah, the largest single container terminal in the country, make the city the perfect location for the company.

“Creating a dedicated facility in the U.S. – one of the largest markets for classic car enthusiasts – is an important and exciting step for Jaguar Land Rover Classic,” said Hannig.

Trip Tollison, president of the Savannah Economic Development Association, said the project will have an immediate positive economic impact on the region.

Jaguar joins the list of foreign automakers building facilities in the state, among them Mercedes-Benz and Porsche Cars North America, which have made their U.S. headquarters in Georgia.

10 Fast Facts about Dogs

10 Fast Facts about Dogs

The life and legacy of Aretha Franklin | Your Daily Pitch

The life and legacy of Aretha Franklin | Your Daily Pitch
200 items
Results 31 - 40 of 200 < previous next >