The Minnesota Vikings are the owners of a remarkable victory in last weekend’s NFL divisional playoffs. Now, the team wants to own the nicknames that have been attached to it.
Stefon Diggs’ stunning 61-yard touchdown catch and run on the final play of the game gave the Vikings a 29-24 victory against New Orleans, giving birth to the nicknames “Minneapolis Miracle” or “Minnesota Miracle.” Monday, the Vikings filed for three trademarks for “Minneapolis Miracle” and one for “Minnesota Miracle,” according to filings published Friday by the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.
The Vikings want to own the rights to the nickname on more than 100 items, including cell phone straps, football helmets, charge cards, computer game software, DVDs, compact discs and videotapes, according to the filings.
Already, the team is selling a T-shirt with the slogan, “Minneapolis Miracle 1-14-18,” ESPN reported. Diggs began selling shirts licensed by the NFL Players Association with his image and the words “Minneapolis Miracle,” on Wednesday and already has sold more than 1,000 of them online, ESPN reported.
It’s not the first sports nickname that has had a trademark application. For example, former Pittsburgh Steelers running back Franco Harris trademarked the phrase “Franco’s Immaculate Reception,” after his last-second catch-and-run for a touchdown off a deflected pass that gave Pittsburgh a 13-7 victory against Oakland in the 1972 playoffs.
Riles & Co., the corporate entity of former NBA basketball coach Pat Riley, trademarked the phrase “Three-Peat” in 1989.
The Vikings play the Philadelphia Eagles on Sunday in the NFC Championship game.
The girlfriend of the leader of Britain’s right-wing U.K. Independence Party has been suspended from the party after reportedly making racist comments about Prince Harry’s American fiancee, Meghan Markle.
Marney reportedly said Markle would “taint” the royal family, that she had a “tiny brain” and that black people were "ugly."
In a statement to The Mail, Marney said: “I apologize unreservedly for the shocking language I used.”
She added: “The opinions I expressed were deliberately exaggerated in order to make a point and have, to an extent, been taken out of context. Yet I fully recognize the offense they have caused.”
Former deputy leader of the party Peter Whittle wrote on Twitter: “These are disgraceful remarks," adding, “This person should not just be suspended … but expelled altogether.”
UKIP’s chairman, Paul Oakden, told the Mail on Sunday that Marney had been suspended from the party membership immediately after he was made aware of the messages.
“UKIP does not, has not and never will condone racism,” he said.
Bolton, who was elected party leader in September, tweeted to confirm that Marney had been suspended from the party “immediately upon [UKIP] receiving this information.”
He was responding to a teenage party activist who urged him to publicly call for Marney to have her UKIP membership revoked.
“Her words were blatantly racist and there should be no room for that in UKIP,” Jack Penny wrote on Twitter.
To Jurgen Klopp, the expletive seemed appropriate, even during an on-air interview.
Klopp, the German-born manager of Liverpool’s Premier League soccer team, let a vulgar word escape as he did a post-match interview with NBC Sports Soccer on Sunday, The New York Daily News reported.
Klopp was exulting after the Reds’ 4-3 victory against Manchester United when he dropped the F-bomb on the air, causing the interviewer to apologize to the viewing audience.
“I thought in America it’s OK,” Klopp joked, referencing an alleged vulgarity uttered last week by President Donald Trump during a meeting with members of Congress..
Arlo White of NBC Sports Soccer later tweeted that “the language got little ‘fruity’ at our pitch side desk. Apologies again for that.”
The British Army wants you to test its woodland camouflage. Do you see a soldier in this image?
The British Army asked Twitter users to scan the photo — which reportedly was shot in Wales on the Section Commander’s Battle Course — to find the soldier in the scene.
A hint, in case you’re having any difficulty: The soldier is not standing up.
To make things a bit difficult, the soldier is wearing a woodland camouflage pattern designed to blend in with the misty forest terrain.
Is the British uniform good enough for you? If you haven’t found the answer yet, it’s here — the soldier lying prone, enveloped in mist, with just the perfectly round helmet giving any indication that it’s not all forest floor.
You may want to have a cup of joe – or two – before you try to solve this viral puzzle that is baffling social media users.
If you've checked Facebook or Twitter over the past few days, you've probably seen the image of four coffee cups under a maze of pipes, followed by the question, "Who gets coffee first?"
Turns out, the puzzle is easier to solve than you may think.
Cards Against Humanity is playing its hand against President Donald Trump this holiday season.
According to WMAQ, the bawdy party game on Tuesday announced its holiday promotion, promising "six America-saving surprises" to the first 150,000 fans to send in $15. It quickly sold out.
"If you voted for Trump, you might want to sit this one out," the Chicago-based company warns on its website for the promotion.
>> Visit the website here (WARNING: Viewer discretion advised.)
A preview for the first surprise takes aim at Trump's proposed wall along the U.S.-Mexico border.
"Donald Trump is a preposterous golem who is afraid of Mexicans," the website reads. "He is so afraid that he wants to build a $20 billion wall that everyone knows will accomplish nothing. So we’ve purchased a plot of vacant land on the border and retained a law firm specializing in eminent domain to make it as time-consuming and expensive as possible for the wall to get built."
The company says participants "will get an illustrated map of the land, a certificate of our promise to fight the wall, some new cards and a few other surprises."
Remember 2016, in more innocent times, when everybody walked around for about a month staring at their phones and trying to catch tiny monsters?
Get ready for the second wave, this time for Harry Potter fans.
Niantic Labs, the company which created “Pokemon Go,” announced Wednesday it will create an augmented reality game in partnership with Warner Bros. Interactive.
According to an announcement on J.K. Rowling’s website Pottermore, “Harry Potter: Wizards Unite” will encourage users to “step outside with your phone, explore your local surroundings and take part in a series of adventures, such as searching for magical creatures and bumping into iconic wizarding world characters along the way.”
No word yet on an exact release date, but Potter fans have plenty of reasons to feel excited about new updates from the Wizarding World.
Organizers leading a North American bid to host the 2026 World Cup trimmed its list of potential host cities to 32 on Wednesday, and 254 cities in the United States remain in the running as venues for soccer’s showcase event, The Washington Post reported.
The U.S. front-runners include Atlanta, Boston, Chicago, Dallas, Houston, Los Angeles, Miami, New York, Philadelphia, San Francisco, Seattle and Washington, the Post reported. Other American cities in the running were Baltimore; Charlotte, North Carolina; Cincinnati; Denver; Detroit; Kansas City, Missouri; Las Vegas; Minneapolis; Nashville, Tennessee; Orlando, Florida; Phoenix; Salt Lake City; and Tampa, Florida.
U.S. cities eliminated from consideration were Birmingham, Alabama; Cleveland; Indianapolis; Jacksonville, Florida; New Orleans; Pittsburgh; and San Antonio, Texas. The two Canadian cities dropped from the list were Regina and Ottawa.
The World Cup was last staged in North America during the summer of 1994.
If the North American bid is successful, the United States would stage 60 matches in about a dozen venues, the Post reported. Mexico and Canada would have 10 games apiece.
All three Mexican bidding cities (Mexico City, Guadalajara and Monterrey) are widely expected to make the final cut. Canada will probably settle for two venues, with Toronto, Vancouver, Montreal and Edmonton in the running.
Representatives from the remaining cities will meet in Houston next month for a working session with the United Bid Committee. FIFA — soccer’s international governing body — will announce the winner in June, the Post reported.
More than 25 years after the Super Nintendo Entertainment System hit store shelves and five months after Nintendo stopped production on its revamped NES Classic Edition, the Super NES will be back in stores in a mini version on Sept. 29.
Nintendo unveiled the console in June.
The Super NES Classic Edition will come with 21 classic games installed, including Donkey Kong Country, Final Fantasy III and Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars. A never before released sequel to Super NES classic Star Fox will also be released with the console.
Super NES Classic Editions will be sold at a suggested retail price of $79.99, according to Nintendo.
“While many people from around the world consider the Super NES to be one of the greatest video game systems ever made, many of our younger fans never had a chance to play it,” Doug Bowser, Nintendo of America’s senior vice president of sales and marketing, said in a news release announcing the console. “With the Super NES Classic Edition, new fans will be introduced to some of the best Nintendo games of all time, while longtime fans can relive some of their favorite retro classics with family and friends.”
The Super NES Classic Edition will have the same look and feel as the original, according to Nintendo, only smaller.
The company said the following games will come with the system:
Customs officials in Germany said they have recently seized large quantities of “unsafe” fidget spinners and plan to destroy them, The Local.de reported.
Officials at Frankfurt’s airport said they already confiscated 35 tons of the hand-held spinning tops in May. According to employees of the Central Customs Office in Frankfurt, some of the LED lights in the spinners could become so easily unhinged that small children could swallow them.
The toy is currently very popular with children. Manufacturers claim they help children to alleviate symptoms of ADHD, autism or hyperactivity, The Local.de reported.
Customs officials said the fidget spinners arrived in several import shipments from China.
Take www.y100fm.com everywhere you go! Download your app below from the Google Play Store or Apple App Store:
Enable our Skill today to listen live at home on your Alexa Devices!