"The Conners" star Michael Fishman says dealing with the cancellation of the "Roseanne" reboot was heartbreaking but describes the return of the cast in the revamped show without Roseanne Barr as a gift.
Fishman was among "The Conners" stars who came out for the premiere of the show on Tuesday night at the Paley Center — the same night it made its debut on ABC.
Barr was fired from "Roseanne" after making a racist tweet about Valerie Jarrett, a top official in the administration of former President Barack Obama. Barr tweeted over the summer: "Muslim brotherhood & planet of the apes had a baby=vj." She was dismissed shortly thereafter and the show was canceled.
Fishman plays Roseanne's son DJ on the show, and had been a part of "Roseanne" since he was a boy. He describes moving on without Barr in the spinoff as "odd."
"We had such a close relationship and we think about her all the time. But, at the same time, we know as a group that we kind of collectively have taken the decision to carry the legacy, and so it's important for us to do it right," Fishman said.
But it was a little nerve-wracking before the spinoff was announced.
"Well it was a heartbreaking summer, but then the idea of coming back was just kind of this amazing gift. You know this will be the third time that we're all together in this way and trying to bring these characters to life. And it's a really special opportunity," Fishman said.
The Nielsen company said Wednesday that 10.5 million people tuned in, larger than any other ABC show this new season. But it didn't come close to the 18.2 million people who watched the first episode of the "Roseanne" reboot last spring.
Lecy Goranson, who plays Becky, says Barr's firing initially affected so many more.
"I think what people don't understand is it's not just the cast or the writers. We have a huge crew that was also put out by all of this, and people who not only love to work, but they love to work with each other," Goranson said.
The new series begins after the death of Barr's character from an opioid overdose.
Goranson thinks that while Barr's infamous tweet was racially insensitive, she doesn't believe that Barr is a racist.
"I feel like the comment was racist. I think undeniably it was. And part of what I thought was what it must be like to be a black person in America and grow up to hear those comments, whether it's at the grocery store or in the media or wherever you are, over and over and over again. And how that must chip at yourself over time, even — especially if it's casual," Goranson said.
However, Goranson says she doesn't think Barr's tweet reflects who she is as a person. Nevertheless, she feels Barr acted irresponsibly.
"Do I think Roseanne is a racist? No. Has she ever said a racist thing to me one time? Never. So, to me it was a political thing. It was a mistake. But you know, if you're that — if you're on the forefront of a show and you're the star — you have to take accountability for what you say and do. And, unfortunately, this was the outcome, and it's devastating," Goranson said.
Co-stars Sara Gilbert and John Goodman were also at the premiere, but declined to walk the red carpet.
MTV's long-running reality show "The Real World" is going digital and international.
The network announced Wednesday that its production studio will work with Facebook Watch to create new editions of the series next year for audiences in the United States, Mexico and Thailand. The series, which depicts the adventures of young strangers placed in a house together, will stream on Facebook Watch.
The social media platform will also try to connect fans to participants in the show with Facebook Live, watch parties and other innovations. MTV president Chris McCarthy said it's an opportunity to create a new genre of television.
"The Real World" aired 32 separate seasons on MTV between 1992 and 2017. It's the first time it will have international editions with non-U.S. cast members.
Uh-oh! Seems like Tim McGraw might be playing a little too hard when he isn’t at work. He has two stress fractures in his right foot and posted it to social media with the caption “Too much spearfishing and beach volleyball…” Get better soon, Tim!
Let this be a lesson - always do the right thing even when you think no one is watching! An Australian news outlet reports that a man was searching tourist destinations on Google Maps when he spotted HIS WIFE with another man!
The husband was looking at the Bridge of Sighs in Barranco, Peru, when he spotted his wife sitting on a park bench with another man’s head in her lap. Clearly there’s no denying that these two are showing some signs of affection and now the husband has filed for divorce.
The now divorced man said he recognized parts of his wife’s clothing and accessories before she admitted to the infidelity.
Let this be a lesson to all! You never know who’s watching...
The puppeteer who has played Big Bird on "Sesame Street" is retiring after nearly 50 years on the show.
Caroll Spinney announced in a statement Wednesday that he's handing over Big Bird and his other character, Oscar the Grouch, to younger performers. The 84-year-old joined "Sesame Street" at its inception in 1969.
Spinney says he didn't feel like his work was important until Big Bird helped him find his purpose.
Spinney says the physical requirements of performing the characters had become difficult and he developed problems with his balance. He stopped doing the puppeteering for Big Bird in 2015 and now only provides the voices for him and Oscar.
His apprentice, Matt Vogel, will succeed him in the Big Bird role. Vogel also plays Kermit the Frog.
Baby Memphis is on the move! Jason Aldean’s wife Britney shared a cute video yesterday of their 10-month-old son, Memphis taking his first steps! In the video, you can see Baby Memphis bravely let go of furniture as he walks towards a stuffed animal.
“He’s getting so big, I can’t take it!!!” Britney says. The Aldeans announced in July that they were expecting a baby girl so along with Baby Memphis, you can be sure we’ll get to be a part of more baby milestones in the future!
Tim McGraw and his active lifestyle are well documented but it looks like the ‘Neon Church’ singer may have taken it too far! Yesterday, Tim shared a photo to his social media accounts that he is in a boot as a result of two stress fractures. McGraw captioned the photo, “Too much spearfishing and beach volleyball...”
It’s not fully known yet how long it will take Tim to recover but he did just release his new single, ‘Neon Church’ with a new album expected to drop in 2019.
The Y100 Bud Light 8 Man Jam ticket stops are in full effect! We had our first ticket stop yesterday at The Sandbox and will have our next one tomorrow with J.R. at Metro PCS at 6634 Binz Engleman Rd., Ste. 102 from 2-4pm. For more information on where we’ll be at with your shot at tickets, click here. You’ll also have a shot at tickets 10x a day with Y100!
The director of "Air Strike," featuring Chinese actress Fan Bingbing, says the film's release has been canceled in the wake of her disappearance and conviction on tax evasion charges.
The World War II thriller, also starring Bruce Willis and Adrien Brody, was to have been released Oct. 26.
However, director Xiao Feng posted on his Weibo miniblog Wednesday that it was "time to let go" after eight years of work on the film.
Chinese tax authorities this month ordered Fan and companies she represents to pay taxes and penalties totaling $130 million, ending speculation over the fate of one of the country's highest-profile entertainers three months after she disappeared from public view.
State media said Fan evaded taxes by using two separate contracts for her work on "Air Strike."
Fan has starred in dozens of movies and TV series in China and is best known internationally for her role as Blink in 2014's "X-Men: Days of Future Past," a cameo in the Chinese version of "Iron Man 3," and for star turns on the red carpet at Cannes as recently as May.
Before her disappearance, she had been booked to star with Penelope Cruz in the Hollywood film "355."
Fan posted an apology on her official Weibo account saying that she accepted the tax authorities' decision and would "try my best to overcome all difficulties and raise funds to pay back taxes and fines."
"I am unworthy of the trust of the society and let down the fans who love me," she wrote in her first update of her Weibo.com microblog since June 2.
Fan's disappearance coincided with a crackdown by Chinese authorities on high salaries for actors that can eat up much of the cost of a production. In June, regulators capped star pay at 40 percent of a TV show's entire production budget and 70 percent of the total paid to all the actors in a film.
America's most famous pimp partied for days with porn stars, political pals and others to celebrate his 72nd birthday, but the revelry ended when Dennis Hof was found dead in one of his Nevada brothels.
Hof, a Donald Trump-style Republican who won a GOP primary for a seat in the state Legislature this year, spent his last nights in a series of celebrations across Nevada that drew notables from politics and the sex industry — two worlds he managed to bridge.
His final party Monday night at the Pahrump Nugget hotel-casino, about an hour's drive outside Las Vegas, included aging porn star Ron Jeremy, tax-cut activist Grover Norquist, one-time "Hollywood Madam" Heidi Fleiss and ex-Arizona sheriff and politician Joe Arpaio.
"Boy, that's shocking," Arpaio, the former six-term sheriff of metropolitan Phoenix, said of Hof's death. He said Hof was in good spirits when Arpaio left the party around 10 p.m.
Hof didn't drink, smoke or use drugs, Hof's campaign consultant Chuck Muth said. Despite the rigorous schedule, Hof seemed in a "perfect mood" and in "perfect health" at the parties.
"He was sitting on a stool talking with people when I left about 10," said Nye County Sheriff Sharon Wehrly, who guessed more than 100 people attended the Pahrump event. "I guess that's partying at 72."
Jeremy, who also attended the Pahrump Nugget party, told The Associated Press that he and Dasha Dare, a prostitute from one of Hof's brothels, found the pimp's body Tuesday morning in Hof's residence at his Love Ranch brothel.
Dare, who Jeremy said spent part of the evening with Hof, did not immediately respond to email and Twitter messages.
Sheriff's deputies were summoned and Hof was pronounced dead, said Wehrly, who also serves as county coroner.
Wehrly said there was no preliminary indication of foul play but her office was investigating and an autopsy was scheduled by the Clark County coroner in Las Vegas. Wehrly said results of the medical examination could take six weeks.
Outside the brothel Tuesday, sheriff's employees and several women watched as Hof's body was carried on a stretcher beneath a red shroud past lawn furniture, Grecian-style statutes and signs advertising the bordello as, "Always Open, Always Tasty, No sex required."
Muth said Friday night's celebration in northern Nevada had been a "Save the Brothels" concert raising funds to fight a ballot initiative that would shutter brothels in northern Nevada's Lyon County, where Hof owned four properties.
Saturday featured a bash at Hof's Bunny Ranch bar and restaurant near Carson City, followed by a party at Hof's northern Nevada home Sunday and the party in southern Nevada Monday night, Muth said.
Hof was the Republican candidate in a heavily GOP state legislative district who brought in popular Trump supporters in his campaign, including Trump adviser Roger Stone and Arpaio, the Arizona sheriff.
Arpaio, known nationally for his positions on illegal immigration, lost a primary bid for the GOP nomination for U.S. Senate from Arizona. He said Hof asked him to speak at his party.
"The thing I liked about him: He was with Trump and was for the Second Amendment and lower taxes," Arpaio said.
Hof owned a handful of brothels in Nevada, the only state that allows them to legally operate.
His Love Ranch brothel is the place where NBA player Lamar Odom was found unconscious in 2015.
The brothel was temporarily shuttered twice this year by regulators who said Hof failed to renew licenses and get proper permits for renovations.
About 20 brothels operate in Nevada, mostly in rural areas.
In addition to his legislative campaign, Hof fought a push to outlaw brothels and had problems with local regulators in the two counties where he ran licensed bordellos.
Hof had also been accused of sexual assault on at least four occasions. The Nevada Department of Public Safety has said it was investigating an allegation made in September but has released few details.
Hof had denied wrongdoing.
Besides "Cathouse," the flamboyant Hof wrote a book titled "The Art of the Pimp," a play on Trump's book "The Art of the Deal."
Wayne Thorley, deputy Nevada secretary of state for elections, said Hof's name will remain on the November ballot. Thorley said ballots with Hof's name have already been mailed to voters but signs will be posted at polling places notifying voters of his death.
If Hof wins in the heavily GOP assembly district, officials will nominate another Republican to fill the vacancy, Thorley said.
Hof was running against Democratic Las Vegas educator Lesia Romanov in the race for a sprawling assembly district that touches both California and Utah, covering rural southern Nevada, largest stretches of desert and the Nevada National Security Site where nuclear weapons were tested.
Hof also ran for the state Legislature in 2016 as a Libertarian but lost the race.
He upended Nevada politics this summer when he ousted an incumbent Republican lawmaker in a primary, celebrating at an election night party with Fleiss.
Hof said in interviews that he believed the anti-brothel push and regulatory problems he's faced this year were political retribution.
Associated Press writers Ken Ritter and Regina Garcia Cano in Las Vegas and Jacques Billeaud in Phoenix contributed to this report.
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex were jokingly thanked for bringing England's notoriously inclement weather to a drought-stricken Outback town on Wednesday in a rain-drenched visit to Dubbo during their Australian royal tour.
The former Meghan Markle brought banana bread that she baked in Sydney on Tuesday as a gift to a farming family outside Dubbo who were struggling to feed their cattle and sheep through two years of below-average rain.
"When she heard she was coming to a family home, she had to bring a plate, so it was lovely," farmer Elaine Woodley said, referring to a dish to be shared.
The pregnant American former actress and her husband, Prince Harry, got their hands dirty throwing cotton seed onto hay used to feed the cows because of a lack of pasture.
Heavy rain started falling when the royal couple arrived later at a Dubbo park for a community picnic, but thousands of cheering well-wishers remained enthusiastic.
"As your royal highnesses are aware, our region has been hit by a terrible drought," Mayor Ben Shields told the drenched crowd draped with waterproof ponchos and holding umbrellas, who erupted in laughter.
"So we're very pleased that you can bring some of that English weather with you today, and hopefully it will bring some relief to the farming families," Shields added.
While rain in recent weeks has been welcome, much more is needed to repair the economic and environmental ravages of the extended dry spell.
Drought conditions in New South Wales state this year have been the most widespread since 1965.
Meghan held an umbrella over Harry as he gave a speech, acknowledging the hardships the drought brought to the rural community and urging drought victims not to suffer in silence.
The crowd applauded when Harry touched on his own mental health struggles following the death of his mother, Princess Diana, in a car crash in a Paris tunnel in 1997. He was 12 at the time. Harry, now 34, revealed in an interview last year that he did not seek counseling until he was in his late 20s.
"You are all in this together and, if I may speak personally, we are all in this together," Harry said. "Because asking for help was one of the best decisions that I ever made. You will be continually amazed how life changes for the better."
The prince ended by thanking Dubbo for its invitation and for sharing its stories, adding, "And the rain was a gift."
Drought relief charity Drought Angels director Natasha Johnston commended the couple for their empathy.
"To have them recognize that our farmers are hurting, and show up here, it's an honor," Johnston said.
"It's been unbelievably tough. We've had families who can't put food on the table, who can't afford everyday basics, who can't afford water to fill their tanks," she added.
On arrival at Dubbo airport, the couple appeared delighted when 5-year-old Luke Vincent, who has Down Syndrome, hugged them both and ruffled Harry's hair and beard.
Luke's school principal Anne van Dartel said she had told the students that they were not to reach out to the royals. She suspected Harry's beard reminded Luke of his favorite celebrity, Santa Claus.
"I was very concerned once he started rubbing Prince Harry's face and his hair, but Prince Harry was completely gracious and was so polite and realized what was happening and (Luke's) infatuation with his beard," van Dartel told Seven Network television.
Luke told later told Nine Network television that Harry had surpassed Santa in his estimation.
Harry and Meghan are on a 16-day tour of Australia, Fiji, Tonga and New Zealand.
The main focus of the tour is the Invictus Games, which start in Sydney on Saturday. The sporting event, founded by Harry in 2014, gives sick and injured military personnel and veterans the opportunity to compete in sports such as wheelchair basketball.
McGuirk reported from Canberra, Australia.
Celebrities arrive at the BET Hip Hop Awards 2018 at Fillmore Miami Beach on October 6, 2018 in Miami Beach, Florida. The taped show aired Oct. 16.
Take www.y100fm.com everywhere you go! Download your app below from the Google Play Store or Apple App Store:
Enable our Skill today to listen live at home on your Alexa Devices!