One family is mourning the loss of a beloved pet after she ingested a Christmas ornament.
Lexi, a 2-1/2-old dog, snuck downstairs Tuesday morning and ate an ornament made out of salt dough. Her owners, couple Larry and Hope Pospisil, made the ornament with their daughter, Alice, for the holidays.
It appears the salt content in the ornament is what made Lexi so sick. It is toxic to cats and dogs, according to the Pet Poison Helpline.
In a Facebook post, Hope Pospisil said,"when we got home around 5 P.M., she peed [in] her kennel and was shaking uncontrollably. She couldn't even make it back up the stairs, as she fell backwards. We immediately took her to the vet and we had only two options because her body temp was 107 and already caused neurological damage." In his own post, her husband, Larry, added that Lexi "was constantly seizing in her kennel and urinating and foaming at the mouth."
The family made the difficult decision to have Lexi humanely euthanized, according to the Examiner.
Hope Pospisil shared the devastating news "as a warning to everyone." Following the post, the family has received an outpouring of support. In response, Hope said,“I'm so happy that Lexi is being a voice for all other dogs that could have had the same outcome.”
With tear filled eyes, I'm writing this as a warning to everyone. Lexi snuck downstairs today around 7-8am and ate Alice...