Now Playing
Y100 FM
On Air
No Program
Now Playing
Y100 FM

world govt & politics

200 items
Results 51 - 60 of 200 < previous next >

Macron campaign claims hack attack on eve of runoff in France

French presidential candidate Emmanuel Macron's campaign claimed Friday it had been the target of a "massive" computer hack that dumped its campaign emails online two days before Sunday’s presidential runoff, Reuters reported.

>> Read more trending news

voters choose between the centrist and his far-right rival, Marine Le Pen.

Macron, who is seen as the front-runner against far-right candidate Marine Le Pen in what analysts are billing as the most important election in France in decades, extended his lead over in Friday’s polls.

As much as nine gigabytes of data were posted on a profile called EMLEAKS to Pastebin, a site that allows anonymous document sharing. It was not immediately clear who was responsible for posting the data or if any of it was genuine, Reuters reported.

In a statement, Macron's political movement confirmed that it had been hacked.

"The En Marche! Movement has been the victim of a massive and coordinated hack this evening which has given rise to the diffusion on social media of various internal information," the statement said.

A campaign blackout starting minutes after the Macron team announcement at midnight Friday means that Le Pen's campaign can't legally comment on the leak, Fox News reported. An interior minister also declined to comment, citing French rules that forbid any commentary liable to influence an election, Reuters reported. The ban remains in place until the polls close Sunday at 8 p.m.

Opinion polls show independent centrist Macron winning with about 62 percent of the vote, Reuters reported.

The Kremlin has denied it was behind any such attacks, even though Macron's camp renewed complaints against Russian media and a hackers' group operating in Ukraine.

Vitali Kremez, director of research with New York-based cyber intelligence firm Flashpoint, told Reuters his review indicates that APT 28, a group tied to the GRU, the Russian military intelligence directorate, was behind the leak. He cited similarities with U.S. election hacks that have been previously attributed to that group.

"If indeed driven by Moscow, this leak appears to be a significant escalation over the previous Russian operations aimed at the U.S. presidential election, expanding the approach and scope of effort from simple espionage efforts towards more direct attempts to sway the outcome," Kremez said.

On Friday night as the #Macronleaks hashtag buzzed around social media, Florian Philippot, deputy leader of the National Front, tweeted "Will Macronleaks teach us something that investigative journalism has deliberately killed?"

Macron spokesman Sylvain Fort, in a response on Twitter, called Philippot's tweet “vile.”

Buckingham Palace: Prince Philip will stop carrying out engagements this fall

5:14 a.m. ET: Buckingham Palace announced early Thursday that Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, “will no longer carry out public engagements from the autumn of this year.”

>> Photos: Prince Philip through the years

His wife, Queen Elizabeth II, fully supports the decision and “will continue to carry out a full program of official engagements,” according to a royal news release.

The prince “will attend previously scheduled engagements between now and August” and will continue to be a member of more than 780 organizations. 

>> Read the press release here

ORIGINAL STORY: A Buckingham Palace official has a message for social media users around the world: Calm down, Internet.

>> Photos: Queen Elizabeth II through the years

Daily Mail report that Queen Elizabeth II, 91, had called an "emergency meeting" of royal staff sparked rumors late Wednesday that the queen or her 95-year-old husband, Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, had died.

>> Read more trending news

But an unnamed palace official told The Associated Press early Thursday that there's "no cause for concern." People magazine published a similar report, citing a "well-placed royal source."

The AP's source confirmed the meeting and said they are held occasionally.

Read more here or here.

Photos: Prince Philip through the years

Take a look at these memorable photos of Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, husband of Queen Elizabeth II.

FBI translator went rogue, secretly married ISIS leader, reports say

An FBI translator who was supposed to be investigating an Islamic State leader in Syria secretly married him in 2014, multiple news outlets are reporting.

According to CNN, 38-year-old Daniela Greene, then a German translator for the FBI's Detroit office, had top-secret security clearance while she was investigating Denis Cuspert, a German rapper who became a recruiter for the terrorist group in Syria. Cuspert reportedly threatened former President Barack Obama and held a severed head in an Islamic State video.

>> Watch the news report here

CBS News reported that in June 2014, six months into the probe, Greene told her superiors that she was taking a trip to Europe. Instead, she went to Syria to marry Cuspert, aka Deso Dogg and Abu Talha al-Almani, according to court documents.

Soon after the wedding, Greene had a change of heart and escaped to the United States, where she was arrested Aug. 8, CNN reported

"I was weak and didn't know how to handle anything anymore," she wrote in an email to an unnamed person before she left, according to CNN. "I really made a mess of things this time."

Greene, who pleaded guilty to "making false statements involving international terrorism," served two years in federal prison and was released in August 2016, CNN reported.

CBS News reported that "so far, she's declined to speak publicly about her case," which was sealed until May 2015.

>> Read more trending news

Greene, who was born in Czechoslovakia and lived in Germany before she came to the United States, attended Oklahoma's Cameron University and received a master's degree in history from Clemson University in South Carolina, according to CNN.

Read more here or here.

Don't be fooled by this viral Ivanka Trump photo

On Saturday, President Donald Trump invited Filipino President Rodrigo Duterte, a controversial figure, to the White House.

By Sunday, a picture of first daughter Ivanka Trump posing on a billboard for a Trump property in the Philippines went viral:

"Assistant to POTUS models in an ad for POTUS's new Tower in Mainla. President of Philippines just got WH invite," Peter Brack captioned the tweet, which appears to have been deleted.

>> Read more trending news

Accusations of a conflict of interest between American foreign relations and Trump’s businesses flew.

While Trumpmembers of his family and members of his administration have faced scrutiny for either blatant or seemingly indirect violations of the ethics laws set before presidential administrations, a spokesperson for the Trump Organization provided a statement to denounce the picture as old: “This is an old photo. The developer of Trump Tower in Manila has confirmed that this particular billboard was removed several years ago.”

The image appears to be an AFP photo from 2012.

North Korea test launch fails just after regime shows off new missiles

News outlets showed images Saturday of North Korea’s annual celebration of its founder, Kim Il Sung, and the exhibition of a long line of missiles through the streets of Pyongyang.

These, when placed alongside comments made by top official Choe Ryong Hae about the United States asking for “nuclear justice,” were a clear attempt by North Korea to display its military might.

>> Read more trending news

Hours later, this appears to have blown up in North Korea’s face.

According to ABC News, a Defense Department official said a ballistic missile launch “blew up almost immediately.”

“U.S. Pacific Command detected and tracked what we assess was a North Korean missile launch at 11:21 a.m. Hawaii time April 15. The launch of the ballistic missile occurred near Sinpo,” U.S. Pacific Command spokesman Cmdr. David Benham said.

>> Some fast facts about North Korea

Secretary of Defense James Mattis said that President Donald Trump has been briefed on the failed launch and has no comment at this time.

“The president and his military team are aware of North Korea’s most recent unsuccessful missile launch. The president has no further comment,” he said.

The kind of missile that was launched is still being determined, though earlier in the day it was speculated that North Korea had developed and was showing off its version of an intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM).

Russia bans image of Putin in drag, labeling it 'extremist' material

Russia's justice ministry has banned an image of President Vladimir Putin in full makeup that has been frequently used in protests across the country.

The image has been added to the country’s list of banned “extremist” materials for “implying the supposed nonstandard sexual orientation of the president of the Russian Federation,” according to the justice ministry’s citation. As The Guardian pointed out, it was not clear which photo in particular the ministry had banned, as a social media search turns up a variety of images of Putin in drag. 

>> Read more trending news

Activists started Photoshopping images of Putin in drag after the government banned "gay propaganda" in 2013, which forbids people from equating heterosexual and homosexual relationships and bans the distribution of gay rights materials.

After the Wednesday ruling, activists took to social media to post images of Putin in drag.

As advertisers dump Bill O'Reilly, Trump comes to his defense

The New York Times on Wednesday published an interview with President Donald Trump, in which the leader of the free world commented on Fox News’ Bill O’Reilly.

>> Don Lemon, Bill O’Reilly exchange Twitter barbs over Susan Rice story

O’Reilly has been the subject of public scorn this week after an article in the Times reported that he had paid out more than $10 million in settlements to women who had accused him of sexual harassment. Trump, who also has faced harassment allegations, chose to defend his friend.

>> Read more trending news

“I think he’s a person I know well; he is a good person,” Trump said. “I think he shouldn’t have settled; personally, I think he shouldn’t have settled because you should have taken it all the way. I don’t think Bill did anything wrong.”

>> Fox News contributor accuses Roger Ailes of sexual harassment

According to Mediaite, more than 20 sponsors have pulled advertising from "The O'Reilly Factor."

Justin Trudeau calls out childhood classmate Matthew Perry: 'How about a rematch?'

Canadian Prime Minister has grabbed a lot of attention lately. His visit to the United States was one of the most anticipated state affairs of Donald Trump's presidency so far. But Trudeau has been groomed for success since a young age due to his father also being the prime minister of Canada.

>> 'Friends' star Matthew Perry apparently beat up Justin Trudeau

During a recent appearance on “Jimmy Kimmel Live,” “Friends” star Matthew Perry revealed that he was a classmate of Trudeau’s. Perry also admitted that he and a friend “beat up” the leader, stating, “I think he was excelling in a sport that we weren’t, so it was pure jealousy.” He continued, “I think he was the only kid in school that we could beat up.”

On Saturday morning, Trudeau responded, writing, “I’ve been giving it some thought, and you know what, who hasn’t wanted to punch Chandler? How about a rematch @MatthewPerry?”

Trudeau's jab is a reference to Perry's "Friends" character, a nervous New Yorker, who struggles his way through the daily grind.

>> Read more trending news

In his interview, Perry joked, “I think it was rather instrumental. ... I think he said, ‘I’m going to rise above this, and I’m going to become prime minister.'”

Russia trolls U.S. with April Fools' joke about 'election interference'

From Russia with troll.

The world awoke Saturday in a joking mood, but no one was as ready to unleash a joke months in the making as Russia.

The Russian Foreign Ministry posted a video on Facebook of the supposed new automated message for its phone system that has since been confirmed as a joke.

>> See the post here

While a voice spouts instructions on how to “use the services of Russian hackers,” you are invited to look at the silhouette of an apparent expert in “election interference.”

“To arrange a call from a Russian diplomat to your political opponent, press 1,” the recording says. “Press 2 to use the services of Russian hackers” and “Press 3 to request election interference.”

>> Check out the best April Fools' Day 2017 pranks

The joke came a couple of days after Russian President Vladimir Putin vehemently denied Russia’s involvement in the contentious 2016 election.

“Read my lips – no,” Putin said Thursday, denying Russian involvement in influencing the outcome of the U.S. election. “Do we want to completely destroy our diplomatic relations to bring the situation to how it was in the 1960s with the Cuban missile crisis?”

>> Read more trending news

According to The Guardian, a source close to the Kremlin described the Russia conversation in the U.S. as a “temporary psychosis.” The source said, “They’ll calm down.”

Who knows if Putin was directly behind the joke, but you just know that somewhere he’s reliving this moment all the same.

200 items
Results 51 - 60 of 200 < previous next >