Now Playing
Y100 FM
On Air
No Program
Now Playing
Y100 FM

gen politics

200 items
Results 11 - 20 of 200 < previous next >

Tony Podesta, brother of Hillary Clinton campaign chair, leaves lobbying firm amid Mueller probe

Democratic lobbyist Tony Podesta, founder of the Podesta lobbying group and brother of former Hillary Clinton campaign chairman John Podesta, has alerted clients he is stepping down from the firm.

>> Mueller investigation: Paul Manafort, 2 other former Trump campaign staffers charged

That announcement came this morning in an all-staff meeting at the firm, according to Politico.

>> What are Paul Manafort, Rick Gates charged with?

>> Mueller investigation: Former Trump campaign adviser George Papadopolous pleads guilty

Last week, NBC News reported that special prosecutor Robert Mueller’s investigation was looking into the Podesta Group and Tony Podesta for possible violations of the Foreign Agents Registration Act (FARA). Podesta Group CEO Kimberley Fritts and a “senior group” will launch a new firm.

>> On Rare.us: John Podesta shares the details of the FBI’s involvement in his email leaks

The Podesta Group was one firm that worked on a PR campaign led by Paul Manafort for his client, European Centre for a Modern Ukraine (ECMU), which promoted Ukrainian interests, according to the Politico report.

>> Read more trending news 

Podesta’s announcement came on the same day that former Trump campaign manager Paul Manafort and his deputy Rick Gates turned themselves into the Federal Bureau of Investigation on a 12-count indictment charging them with “conspiracy against the United States, conspiracy to launder money, unregistered agent of a foreign principal, false and misleading FARA statements, false statements, and seven counts of failure to file reports of foreign bank and financial accounts,” per the indictment.

Judge blocks Trump from barring transgender troops from the military

A federal judge in Washington on Monday temporarily halted President Donald Trump’s decision to bar transgender people from joining the U.S. military.

>> Read more trending news

In her ruling, U.S. District Court Judge Colleen Kollar-Kotelly issued a preliminary injunction against Trump’s decision, saying the plaintiffs in the case are likely to succeed in their argument that it violates their due process rights under the Fifth Amendment. Kollar-Kotelly was nominated to the bench by President Bill Clinton. 

 >> On MyAJC.com: IN-DEPTH: President Trump: No transgender troops allowed in the U.S. military 

All five plaintiffs — a Coast Guardsmen, three soldiers and an airman with nearly 60 years of combined service — are identified as “Jane Doe” in the lawsuit. They said they want to remain anonymous because they fear retribution. Some have completed tours in Iraq and Afghanistan. Lawyers from the National Center for Lesbian Rights and GLBTQ Legal Advocates and Defenders, or GLAD, are assisting the plaintiffs. 

>> On MyAJC.com: RELATED: Transgender U.S. service members sue to block Trump’s ban 

The U.S. Justice Department did not immediately respond to a request for comment Monday afternoon.

Ivana Trump claims she raised Ivanka, Don Jr. and Eric on her own

President Donald Trump’s first wife, Ivana Trump, is claiming that she raised the couple’s children on her own.

During an interview with John Catsimatidis, Trump said she made all the decisions when it came to the couple’s three children, Ivanka, Donald Jr. and Eric.

>> Trump tears into Russia 'dossier,' Hillary Clinton and Uranium One in Twitter spree

“I told Donald, ‘There can only be one chef in the kitchen.’ And it was me. So I made all the decisions about the schooling, after-school activities,” Ivana Trump said during an interview on “The Cats Roundtable.” “I raised them on my own because Donald was always busy and making the deals.”

She added that the future president didn’t know how to connect with his kids until they were in university and able to talk business.

>> On Rare.us: Ivanka Trump comes to her little brother Barron’s defense in the face of online attacks

“He was not the kind of father who would take them to Central Park in the stroller or play games with them. He did not know how to speak the children’s language. He was not able to do it until the kids were in university. He could speak business with them,” Trump said.

>> Reports: First charges filed by Special Counsel Robert Mueller

She continued: “When the kids were 21 years old, I said, ‘Here’s the final product. Now it is your job to continue.’”

The president’s former wife also talked about his presidential ambition years before he ran for office, saying that he wanted to run in the ’90s but that their nasty divorce swayed the public’s opinion of him.

>> Read more trending news

“He was playing with the idea of becoming president, then but then we got the divorce. And that was the scandal. American women — they loved me and hated Donald. So he would never really win. He would never get their vote,” she said. But now that he’s president, she thinks he’s doing a “very good job.”

Trump tears into Russia 'dossier,' Hillary Clinton and Uranium One in Twitter spree

President Donald Trump began his Sunday by laying into his political enemies.

>> Reports: First charges filed by Special Counsel Robert Mueller

On Sunday morning, Trump tweeted about the now-infamous “dossier” prepared by intel group Fusion GPS.

Recently, reports revealed the Clinton campaign was one of the major backers of the dossier.

>> Trump ally Roger Stone suspended from Twitter after profanity-laden rant

Trump also tweeted about the “Uranium Deal" – a reference to reportedly unfounded allegations that Hillary Clinton allowed the sale of uranium to Russian energy agency Rosatom in exchange for a $145 million donation to the Clinton Foundation – as well as Clinton’s email scandal. Fact-checking sites such as Snopes and FactCheck.org have disputed those claims.

>> Read more trending news

“There is so much GUILT by Democrats/Clinton, and now the facts are pouring out,” Trump tweeted. “DO SOMETHING!”

Although the tweets came just days after reports that a grand jury approved the first charges filed in special counsel Robert Mueller’s Russia investigation, White House lawyer Ty Cobb told NBC News that Trump's tweets were not "a reaction to anything involving the special counsel, with whom the White House continues to cooperate."

– The Cox Media Group National Content Desk contributed to this report.

Donald Trump thanks Jimmy Carter for 'nice remarks' about media coverage

President Donald Trump took to Twitter on Saturday morning to thank former President Jimmy Carter for his remarks about “how badly I am treated by the press.”

>> See the tweet here

>> Reports: First charges filed by Special Counsel Robert Mueller

Trump was referring to a recent interview with the New York Times columnist Maureen Dowd that had the Georgia native asserting the “media have been harder on Trump than any other president certainly that I’ve known about.”

>> Trump ally Roger Stone suspended from Twitter after profanity-laden rant

Added Carter: “I think they feel free to claim that Trump is mentally deranged and everything else without hesitation.”

>> Donald Trump slams Michael Moore's Broadway show as 'total bomb'; filmmaker fires back

Also in that interview, the Democrat offered Trump his services to negotiate with North Korea’s leader – an offer the White House formally rebuffed on Friday.

>> Read more trending news

The 93-year-old repeated that he and his wife Rosalynn voted for Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders over Hillary Clinton in last year’s Democratic primary. He questioned whether Russia’s attempts to interfere in the election changed “enough votes, or any votes” to matter. And he knocked some of former President Barack Obama’s foreign policy decisions.

Trump ally Roger Stone suspended from Twitter after profanity-laden rant

Longtime President Donald Trump associate Roger Stone was suspended from Twitter on Saturday after lashing out at CNN’s Don Lemon and other members of the press on Friday night, Politico reports.

>> Reports: First charges filed by Special Counsel Robert Mueller

>> Donald Trump slams Michael Moore's Broadway show as 'total bomb'; filmmaker fires back

In what appeared to be a response to CNN’s Friday night report that the first charges have been filed in the Russian election meddling investigation, Stone reportedly tweeted a profanity-laden rant about Lemon, calling for the anchor to be mocked and punished. Stone also hurled inflammatory insults in the direction of Jake Tapper and Ana Navarro, reports said.

>> Read more trending news

“I have been informed that I have been suspended for 3 hours and 12 minutes,” Stone told Fox News in a text message. “While I am uncertain why, sometimes the stark truth offends some people. I’ll be baaaaaak.”

The account was still suspended early Sunday.

>> On Rare.us: The JFK documents are out, and the new wrinkles in history are aplenty

A spokesperson for Twitter indicated that the social media platform has policies prohibiting harassment and abuse, including inciting others to harass or abuse. Stone could face permanent suspension under the company’s guidelines.

Stone, who was interviewed by the House Intelligence Committee in its Russia probe, is a political consultant and longtime informal adviser to Trump and does not work for the White House in any formal capacity.

Donald Trump slams Michael Moore's Broadway show as 'total bomb'; filmmaker fires back

President Donald Trump tweeted on Saturday evening that although what he was about to say was “not at all presidential,” he was compelled to say that “Sloppy Michael Moore” had failed on Broadway.

>> On Rare.us: Don Trump Jr. critiques Michael Moore’s praise of Harvey Weinstein

Trump was referring to documentary filmmaker Michael Moore’s one-man play, “The Terms of My Surrender.”

The play – which Moore talked up in promos asking “Can a Broadway Show Bring Down a Sitting President?” – has completed a 12-week, 88-show run.

>> Reports: First charges filed by Special Counsel Robert Mueller

“While not at all presidential, I must point out that the Sloppy Michael Moore Show on Broadway was a TOTAL BOMB and was forced to close. Sad!” Trump tweeted.

>> See the tweet here

Moore fired back in a series of tweets blasting Trump's presidency.

"You must have my smash hit of a Broadway show confused with your presidency – which IS a total bomb and WILL indeed close early. NOT SAD," he wrote.

>> See the tweets here

Playbill said that while Moore's show was “not a box-office front-runner,” it “did play its fully scheduled run.”

>> Read more trending news

“Moore’s show began performances July 28 at the Belasco Theatre, where it opened officially Aug. 10. It was reported in May – when the show was announced – that it would play a 12-week limited engagement,” Playbill wrote. “While the show was not a box-office front-runner (grossing less than half of its potential most weeks and drawing in a capacity hovering in the mid 70 percentile), it did play its fully scheduled run.”

– The Cox Media Group National Content Desk contributed to this report.

Trump tombstone at elementary school's Halloween party stirs controversy

A Halloween party at an elementary school in Gloucester, Massachusetts, featured a controversial decoration – a tombstone with the president's name on it

>> Watch the news report here

Apparently, one of the parents brought the tombstone labeled "Don Trump" to West Parish Elementary School's recent "Halloween Happenings" party. 

"It's not a place to put out a political agenda of any kind. And it upsets me that somebody would think it was appropriate to expose young children to it," said Amanda Orlando Kesterson, chair of the Gloucester Republican Committee. 

It's no surprise Kesterson is defending a Republican president, but she also maintains she would do the same for any president, regardless of politics.

>> Read more trending news

"I had very many difficulties with many of the things President Obama did ... but the office of the president deserves respect," Kesterson said. 

She says the tombstone wasn't removed even after she complained to the principal about it. 

"While, according to the parent, this was designated to be humorous, a number of attendees rightfully felt that it showed disrespect," Telena S. Imel, the principal of West Parish Elementary, said in a statement. "In planning future events, it will be made clear to organizers that school is not the place to engage in or display political agendas or opinions." 

George H.W. Bush apologizes after actress Heather Lind accuses him of sexual assault

Former President George H.W. Bush is apologizing to an actress who claims he groped her during a private screening.

The incident allegedly took place in 2014.

Actress Heather Lind, who works on the AMC show "Turn Washington’s Spies," said the former president, now 93, grabbed her behind and told her a dirty joke right before a photo was taken.

Lind detailed the entire incident in a now-deleted Instagram post.

>> Read more trending news 

She claims former first lady Barbara Bush saw the whole thing and just rolled her eyes.

Bush's spokesman, Jim McGrath, issued an apology in a statement to People Wednesday morning. 

“President Bush would never – under any circumstance – intentionally cause anyone distress, and he most sincerely apologizes if his attempt at humor offended Ms. Lind,” the statement said.

By late Tuesday, Bush’s office issued another statement.

“At age 93, President Bush has been confined to a wheelchair for roughly five years, so his arm falls on the lower waist of people with whom he takes pictures,” the statement said. “To try to put people at ease, the president routinely tells the same joke -- and on occasion, he has patted women’s rears in what he intended to be a good-natured manner. Some have seen it as innocent; others clearly view it as inappropriate. To anyone he has offended, Pres. Bush apologizes most sincerely.”

The Cox Media Group National Content Desk contributed to this report.

Larry Flynt offering up to $10M for information leading to Trump's impeachment

Hustler founder Larry Flynt is looking for information that will lead to President Donald Trump's impeachment – and he's willing to pay for it.

According to The Associated Press, the 74-year-old pornography publisher placed a full-page ad in Sunday's Washington Post to "announce a cash offer of up to $10 million" for the information. See the ad here.

"I do not expect any of Trump's billionaire cronies to rat him out, but I am confident that there are many people in the know for whom $10 million is a lot of money," the ad reads. "And just because you pay for information doesn't mean it's not good. Make no mistake, I fully intend to pay this entire sum."

>> Read more trending news

The ad continues: "Sure, I could use that $10 million to buy luxuries or further my businesses, but what good would that do me in a world devastated by the most powerful moron in history? I feel it is my patriotic duty, and the duty of all Americans, to dump Trump before it's too late."

This isn't the first time Flynt has offered money to derail Trump. The AP reported that Flynt offered $1 million during the 2016 presidential campaign for video or audio of Trump "behaving in an illegal or sexually demeaning manner."

Read more here.

200 items
Results 11 - 20 of 200 < previous next >