Now Playing
Y100 FM
On Air
No Program
Now Playing
Y100 FM

200 items
Results 21 - 30 of 200 < previous next >

Florida college student says man tried to touch her leg in on-campus parking garage

Police at the University of Central Florida are warning students to be on their guard after a woman said a man tried to assault her in a campus parking garage Monday.

>> Read more trending news

UCF police said a woman who attends the university was approached around 6 p.m. by an unknown man who asked for help with his car in Garage C. 

During the exchange, the man tried to touch the student's leg, police said, causing her to scream and run away. 

The student immediately called police and described the man as 5 feet 7 inches tall. He was wearing glasses, a gray sweater and dark pants, she told authorities.

UCF police said the description of the incident closely matches two similar incidents that happened on campus within the past month and a half. 

In December, a student reported that she was inappropriately grabbed by a man inside the Business Administration II building, the UCF Police Department said.

The student told investigators that the incident happened at about 5:50 p.m., UCF police spokeswoman Courtney Gilmartin said.

The man, who she did not know, was lingering near a vending machine and started talking to her before grabbing her, Gilmartin said.

"It's just unfortunate that we have to deal with that here at UCF. I feel like we're so close as a family and as a university. It's incredible that we have to do this," UCF student Ponatoyas Jusakus said.

Investigators said the woman ran from the building and reported the incident about an hour later.

>> On WFTV.com: 9 Investigates: Sexual assault cases at UCF

The man was described as being dark-skinned with a thin build and about 5 feet 7 inches tall. He was wearing a gray hoodie and jeans at the time of the incident, police said.

A similar incident happened in the same building Dec. 4, Gilmartin said. The victim in that case provided a similar description of the culprit, but no one was arrested.

>> On WFTV.com: Police: Woman screams for help, gets pushed into car at UCF

Police said they do not believe the two incidents are related to a similar encounter at Valencia College this week.

"Detectives are currently revisiting the case from last month and reviewing surveillance video from last night," Gilmartin said. "In regards to the incident at Valencia College Tuesday night, at this point, the circumstances and suspect descriptions do not match."

Report: Couple holding 13 children captive were days from moving to Oklahoma

A report says David Allen Turpin and Louise Anna Turpin, the California couple accused of allegedly holding 13 siblings captive in their home, were planning to move to Oklahoma.

ABC News reported that the parents was moving from California to Oklahoma days before they were arrested and charged with torture and child endangerment, citing multiple unnamed sources.

>> Read more trending news 

David Turpin was getting a job transfer with a defense contractor he was working with, according to ABC News. Moving boxes were reportedly found at the residence. The report says the family has moved to multiple places over the years, including a home in Texas.

Related: Here’s what the children in the California torture house did to cope with the abuse

The couple’s 17-year-old daughter had escaped the home early Jan. 14 and called 911, saying her 12 siblings were “being held captive” at a Perris, California, residence by her parents.

Related: Parents accused of holding their 13 children captive appear in court

The Riverside County Sheriff’s Department said in a Jan. 15 news release that the siblings, ranging in ages from 2 to 29, “appeared to be malnourished and very dirty.” Six of the siblings are minors.

Riverside County District Attorney Mike Hestrin said David Allen Turpin, 57, and Louise Anna Turpin, 49, were charged with 12 counts of torture and a lewd act on a child by force or fear of duress. The siblings could only have one meal a day and take one shower a year. Hestrin said at a news conference that the siblings were able to write in journals all the time, which will provide “strong evidence of what occurred in that home.”

Related: DA: Captive siblings limited to one meal a day, one shower a year

Two dogs were found by authorities in the home, according to city spokesman Joe Vargo. Vadrgo said in a statement that the two Maltese terrier dogs were in much better condition than the siblings.

Related: Dogs found in perfect condition in home where 13 siblings held captive

“The animals, one white and one black, appear healthy and friendly and are leash-trained, according to Christina Avila, a senior animal control officer,” a news release from the City of Perris said.

The parents made their first court appearance Thursday and entered not guilty pleas to all charges. Their bail is set at $13 million. They are scheduled to appear in court again Feb. 23.

Photos: 2018 Academy Awards nominees

These are the nominees for this year’s Oscars.

'Tide Pod Challenge' causes some retailers to lock up product

The viral challenge that involves people filming themselves biting into laundry detergent pods is causing some retailers to take security measures to prevent people from shoplifting the product, WTSP reported.

>> Read more trending news

The so-called Tide Pod Challenge has prompted a warning from U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, which said ingesting the pods can cause them to dissolve quickly and release highly concentrated toxic contents.

Saturday, a student at Utah State University was hospitalized after ingesting a Tide Pod.

“It’s just people being stupid and misusing products,” shopper Taylor Alexander told WTSP as he browsed the aisles in a Florida Walmart.

The Tampa store where Alexander shops has put anti-theft devices on the pod containers, and has posted signed warning customers that the area is under video surveillance, WTSP reported.

In some areas of the country, the pods have been locked up, putting them in the classification of alcohol, medicines and electronics, which require a store employee to open the case to sell the product.

“Alcohol, certain medicines, we just bought medicine that we had to share ideas for. That's reasonable. Laundry detergent, no,” Walmart customer Gina Trina told WTSP.

Officials at Walgreens said they have done the same thing for years. However, spokesman James Graham told WTSP that the safeguards for the laundry detergent pods are “unrelated to more recent reports of misuse of the products."

Dr. Fred Aleguas, who is in charge of the Tampa Poison Control Center, says the pods were already dangerous, but that the Tide Pod Challenge has caused a spike in the number of poisoning cases.

“I think it's a good idea, in light of the fact that we've had such a significant increase,” he told WTSP.

Sessions interviewed by Mueller team as part of Russia probe, report says

U.S. Attorney General Jeff Sessions was interviewed last week by special counsel Robert Mueller’s office as part of the ongoing investigation into alleged Russian meddling in the 2016 presidential election and its possible ties to President Donald Trump’s campaign team, The New York Times reported Tuesday.

>> Read more trending news

At Least Two Dead, More Than A Dozen Injured In Kentucky High School Shooting

VIDEO: Shooting Reported At Kentucky High School

2 killed, several injured in shooting at Kentucky high school; 15-year-old in custody

Two teenagers died Tuesday morning after a 15-year-old student at Kentucky’s Marshall County High School opened fire on campus, authorities said at a news conference.

>> Read more trending news

Officials did not identify the suspected shooter, who police said walked into the school just before 8 a.m., armed with a handgun. He shot 14 people before being stopped by a deputy with the Marshall County Sheriff’s Office, according to Kentucky State Police.

He was in police custody on Tuesday afternoon. State Police Commissioner Rick Sanders said he will likely face charges of murder and attempted murder.

“It’s a tragic day for all of us,” Sanders said. “I would just assure you of one thing: We in law enforcement will do our job and do it well, and we will pray for the families that are affected.”

Gov. Matt Bevin said a total of 19 people were injured in Tuesday’s attack, 14 of which were shot. Five other people suffered unspecified, non-gunshot related injuries, he said.

Authorities found a 15-year-old student dead at the scene of the shooting when they arrived just after 8 a.m. A second victim, a 15-year-old male, died at a hospital, Bevin said.

Earlier Tuesday, Bevin called the shooting "a tremendous tragedy" in a statement posted on Twitter. 

"It is unbelievable that this would happen in a small, close-knit community like Marshall County," he said. "As there is still so much unknown, I encourage people to love on each other at this time. Do not speculate, but come alongside each other in support and allow the facts to come out."

VIDEO: 5 Missing After Oklahoma Natural Gas Well Catches Fire

VIDEO: 5 Missing After Oklahoma Natural Gas Well Catches Fire

Michigan woman facing financial crisis wins lottery jackpot

It has been a difficult year for a Michigan woman, who has struggled to pay the bills while taking care of her mother full time.

>> Read more trending news

Shawna Donnelly said she was even facing the prospect of being homeless, but her luck changed dramatically when she won $25,000 a year for life in a Michigan Lottery game on Jan. 15, WDIV reported.

Donnelly, 50, from Clarkston, matched the five balls drawn to win the big prize in the Lucky For Life game. 

“I woke up in the middle of the night and had a feeling I should check my tickets,” Donnelly told WDIV. “When I saw I matched five numbers, I must have refreshed my phone 100 times to make sure I really won.

"The last year has been the most difficult of my life. I've been taking care of my mom full-time, and it's hard to make ends meet. Winning this prize couldn't have come at a better time.”

Donnelly decided to take the prize in a one-lump sum of $390,000, instead of taking annuity payments, WDIV said. She visited the Michigan Lottery headquarters Monday to claim her prize.

Donnelly told WDIV that she plans to buy a new home and car, and then save the remaining balance.

OSCAR NOMINATIONS: ‘The Shape of Water,’ ‘Dunkirk,’ ‘Three Billboards,’  lead nominees

Who will be among the Hollywood elite to vie for this year’s Academy Awards? The nominations were announced Tuesday morning by Tiffany Haddish and Andy Serkis served as hosts from the Samuel Goldwyn Theater.

Leading the pack was “The Shape of Water” with 13 nominations, including best picture, original screenplay and best director. It was one fewer than the record, according to The Washington Post.

The war movie “Dunkirk” earned eight nominations, including best picture, but it was snubbed in the acting categories, The Washington Post reported.

“Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri” received seven nominations, including best picture, leading actress and supporting actor.

The Oscar ceremony will be held on March 4 and will be hosted by Jimmy Kimmel.

>> Read more trending news 

200 items
Results 21 - 30 of 200 < previous next >